User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hours of Service

I have been told by a few drivers that you can split your sleeper berth still? I have always thought that once your 14 hour clock starts nothing can extend it except a 10 hour break 8 hours sleeper and 2 hours off duty before or after your sleeper time. Can someone clarify this for me.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:40 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: Hours of Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibb
I have been told by a few drivers that you can split your sleeper berth still? I have always thought that once your 14 hour clock starts nothing can extend it except a 10 hour break 8 hours sleeper and 2 hours off duty before or after your sleeper time. Can someone clarify this for me.
Yes. You can still split your sleeper berth, but one period must be at least 8 hours, and the other must be at least 2 hours. The 8 hour period will stop the 14 hour clock - that is the only thing that will (other than a 10 hour or greater break). The on duty period before the 8 hour break, and the on duty period after the 8 hour break cannot equal more than 14 hours when added together, though. The same holds true for the 2 hour break.

The 10 hour break taken all at once does not necessarily have to be 8 in the sleeper and 2 off duty. You can take 10 in the sleeper, 10 off duty (unless you are in the sleeper), or any other combination of sleeper berth and off duty time, as long as it is not broken up by any on duty time.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Rookie

So if I start driving at midnite drive for 5 hours take a 8 hour break I can drive again at 1pm and drive for 6 more hours and then take a 2 hour break and I will be legal?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
So if I start driving at midnite drive for 5 hours take a 8 hour break I can drive again at 1pm and drive for 6 more hours and then take a 2 hour break and I will be legal?
Yes. But after the 2 hour break, you can only drive for 5 hours (add the driving hours on each side of the 2 hour break) before you must take AT LEAST another 8 hour break.

You've got the basic idea.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your help Rev
Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Just be sure you understand the split sleeper and you know how to log it or it will mean big problems with your safety department and dot..
Old 02-14-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Yes. But after the 2 hour break, you can only drive for 5 hours (add the driving hours on each side of the 2 hour break) before you must take AT LEAST another 8 hour break.

Hey rev, I thought you have a fresh day after that 2 hour break when splitting? From what you are saying you can only drive for as long as you drove for your first on duty driving then? Before you took you 8 hour?

If that is the case then I must give myself a big OOPS!!! :?

please let me know, so I do not do it in the future.

I am a "moon bat" and proud of it.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilici
Quote:
Quote:

Hey rev, I thought you have a fresh day after that 2 hour break when splitting? From what you are saying you can only drive for as long as you drove for your first on duty driving then? Before you took you 8 hour?

Once you start the split logging, you have to keep doing it or take a complete 10 hrs off at once!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:

As ssoutlaw said, once you start split sleeper berth, the only thing that will stop it is 10 hours or more off duty or sleeper berth. You must always add up the on duty time and driving time on each side of the break. Once that total equals 11 hours of driving time, you must stop, and take a break that would equal 10 hours (calculated by subtracting the last portion of sleeper break from 10). The 14 hour rule also applies. When you take the 2 hour break, the 14 hour clock does not stop. When you take the 8 hour break, the 14 hour clock stops for that 8 hours, but then starts back up when you go on duty again.

The split sleeper break is not designed so that you can get around the 11/14 hour rule. It is designed to give you an opportunity to use a break of less than 10 hours, but more than 2 hours, as part of your sleeper berth time.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:

As ssoutlaw said, once you start split sleeper berth, the only thing that will stop it is 10 hours or more off duty or sleeper berth. You must always add up the on duty time and driving time on each side of the break. Once that total equals 11 hours of driving time, you must stop, and take a break that would equal 10 hours (calculated by subtracting the last portion of sleeper break from 10). The 14 hour rule also applies. When you take the 2 hour break, the 14 hour clock does not stop. When you take the 8 hour break, the 14 hour clock stops for that 8 hours, but then starts back up when you go on duty again.

The split sleeper break is not designed so that you can get around the 11/14 hour rule. It is designed to give you an opportunity to use a break of less than 10 hours, but more than 2 hours, as part of your sleeper berth time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCSR 395.1 (g) (1)(i) (A)(4)
The equivalent of at least 10 consecutive hours off duty if the driver does not comply with paragraph (g)(1)(i)(A)(1),(2), or (3) of this section;
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCSR 395.1 (g) (1)(ii)
Specific requirements. -- The following rules apply in determining compliance with paragraph (g)(1)(i) of this section:
(A) The term "equivalent of at least 10 consecutive hours off duty" means a period of
(1) At least 8 but less than 10 consecutive hours in a sleeper berth, and
(2) A separate period of at least 2 but less than 10 consecutive hours either in the sleeper berth or off duty, or any combination thereoff.
(B) Calculation of the 11-hour driving limit includes all driving time; compliance must be re-calculated from the end of the first of the two periods used to comply with paragraph (g)(1)(ii)(A) of this section.
(C) Calculation of the 14-hour limit includes all time except any sleeper-berth period of at least 8 but less than 10 consecutive hours; compliance must be re-calculated from the end of the first of the two periods used to comply with the requirements of paragraph (g)(1)(ii)(A) of this section.
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding of this agrees with what Rev.Vassago said. If you have an 8 hour break, then a 2 hour break, your 11 or 14 must be calculated starting from the end of the 8 hour break, because "compliance must be re-calculated from the end of the first of the two periods", which is the end of the 8 hour break. Or, in other words, the sum of driving time on both sides of the 2 hour break cannot exceed 11 hours.