View Poll Results: Where do you park for the night?
Truck stops 23 65.71%
Rest areas 8 22.86%
On/off ramps 0 0%
Street 1 2.86%
Parking lots(walmart, etc.) 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Shippers and receivers if the time is right. Keeps me on the road longer, and doesn't start my clock.

If I'm in the middle of a trip, I try to find a Lowe's, Home Depot , Super Wally world or mall. I try to stay to a 7am to 9pm routine so I'm generally in as they're closing and out by the time they open.

Doing this, I generally can find provisions/coffee within in walking distance.

Doing this, I've learned to take the time going down to position myself so that I'm in a safe, yet out of the way position yet have a good clear shot to the exit in the morning.

Next, in order of preference, is a rest area. I haven't run across any of the "weird drivers" I hear so much about, but then again I was a traveler before I got into this gig so I know how to keep out of situations I don't want to be in.

Lastly... truck stops. I never can seem to get out of those places without spending "just a couple bucks" on stuff I really don't need and it adds up quickly.

I try to get out of my truck as much as possible to get around. I guess that's what dictates my routine.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
Come to Texas sometime, especially I-35. I don't know how the local drivers do it. I guess they just don't have any respect for their tires and brakes. I try to take it easy, but at many of our exits it's just impossible.
i love texas.if i dont get back otr i might fly down there sometime.i know them ramps is short.i dont rember how i dealt with them but with all that land you would think they would build some acceleration lanes.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Board Regular

I usually try to park at a shipper or receiver, that way I'm first or at least close to the first in line the next morning. I shower when I get fuel and eat out of my 12v cooler. Friday night I did find a nice parking place at the San Antonio TA, thinking I was going to be stuck for the weekend due to the weather but dispatch said they would rather have the truck at home then at a truckstop 350 miles away. Otherwise, I spend just too much at a truck stop when I stay there.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM

Texas, O Texas....
I flatbed for Lowe's on a Dedicated deal, but besides The Backhaul there's lumber n steel n shingles to make up any slack.
So if it's a Lowe's Load, NO T/S! Usually land behind the drop the night before, but if I can't make it - I'll find another Lowe's on the route.. I will pull into a Wally if I need provisions, (or a quik Haircut by golly), but then I get the H out.
T/S: only if running empty, or a solid Commodity Load... AND - out o hours or fuel. While getting hosed by the CBJocks n Perves as you circle the Lot for up to 45 minutes.
Rest areas? They're building some kinda hellacious TravelPalooza up above Huntsville, may even with Real Slant Parking like up in OK. But that's ONE such R/A... Most o the rest, YEAH - all parallel parking. And stuffed to the gills. And I can parallel park all day n night, it's taking the risk o getting Creamed by incoming/exiting Drivers, and waking up to find you got 2' o space front n rear and r Trapped... BS.
NO ramps... If you find one that's ANY good - it'll be full anyway.
I've hit the Lowe's even when running shingles or other non-Lowes loads BUT - in TX/OK/LA, they will sic the Man on ya if the wrong name's on your sides.
Increasingly, they're building Residential right up behind Lowe's/ Home Depot/ Wally, etc., so if you duck back around into the Service Alley - no idling.... won't be a lizard bangin' on that door either. Lizards don't have disco lights yet. Only handheld CBs......