User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I Didn't retire from the Military so I just got my 214 and gone.
Don't know what terminal leave is.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Employment Verification for Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
Your DD 214-1 (Member's Copy) is handed to you during your final out-processing appointment . . . I can't think of a single reason why it would not be. Your "fast and efficient government" wants you to receive it. If there's a problem, it's not with the "government" but with your servicing installation or Retirement Services Office.

In some places they will even give you the complete DD 214 to include the -4 which lists Character Of Service.

Call your Retirement Services Office, explain your situation and ask them to burn off the complete DD 214 when you retire in Aug 07. If they blow you off, ask your Sergeant Major or unit Commander to assist. Unless these people are all total jerks they'll be happy to help you out.

During your final Finance appointment, you will also receive a letter from DFAS stating exactly how many years/months you served, and your retirement date. The two combined will allow a recruiter to deduce your PEBD.

Even though you may not get a DD 214-4, a trucking company recruiter who's worth a $hit should know that you only get retirement pay for honorable service to the Nation.

From reading your post, I had two concerns . . . the first is that someone is telling you that you won't get a DD 214. At your final retirement appointment, you should receive a US flag, various certificates of service which you can frame (including one for your spouse if married), the DD 214, a host of other goodies . . . and at least one solid hand-shake and a thank you.

Second, I'm concerned that your recruiter is a nincompoop. Any single LES will show today's date and years of service. If the recruiter isn't smart enough, flexible enough or energetic enough to use the LES to get you in . . . maybe that's an indication that you're looking at the wrong company.

Thank you for your Service to our Nation. Good luck to you. <---You're welcome
My problem is that I am being told (by the Navy) that I will receive my DD214 after I retire.......makes perfect sense....however, I plan on going to school and getting on with a company during my 80 days of terminal leave which technically I am still active duty during that time.

You make a good point about the LES....I forgot that it shows my original enlistment date as well as years of service......(damn I feel dumb for not remembering that).

Not to mention, they have to give me something when I process out on leave since I will never return.

See, this is why I like bouncing my idiotic questions off you all......someone is ALWAYS thinking
Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Taking your unused leave you have accumulated at the end of your enlistment. If you have 2.5 months leave you take 2.5 months leave. You get paid just like you are on leave, you just are not going back to your unit to outprocess. You do that before you go on leave. Or you can opt to be paid for your leave and continue working up to the day you retire or are discharged.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Taking your unused leave you have accumulated at the end of your enlistment. If you have 2.5 months leave you take 2.5 months leave. You get paid just like you are on leave, you just are not going back to your unit to outprocess. You do that before you go on leave. Or you can opt to be paid for your leave and continue working up to the day you retire or are discharged.
Yep....that is correct

and since I am stationed (not by choice either AND without my family for over a year :cry: ) in Great lakes, I have been planning and saving (to get out of here as soon as possible) and will have 60 days on the books + I get the "free" 10/10 house hunting/job hunting leave for a whooping total of 80 days!!!!

Oh, and all paid at my full active duty pay!!!! :P
Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Frogman, he is going on Terminal Leave a little over 2 and a half month before his actual retirement. They will not give him his DD 214 that early.
YES, he will get his DD214 at his final out, even though his actual retirement date is months later. He SHOULD sit down with his personnel department and ensure his DD214 is done correctly with all needed information. (HINT: Take your "I Love Me" book with you to prove everything you say needs to be on it). DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT IT! And protect it with your life...as you see, it is your life! BOL

Old 11-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Deleted by Useless.

Not a double post, but no worth reading either!!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Have they giving you the form to fill out for your 214 yet?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 PM

i'd think anything capital-O-official from the gov't with your dates of enlistment/service on it would suffice for an employment verification. and if the company wants your DD214 too you can always provide that after you're hired on.

and yes - calling and getting employment verifications from folks who've had 14 jobs in the past 3 years is REALLY annoying. especially after you get them all done and they've decided to go with someone else!! :evil:
Old 11-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker4Life
Quote:
Frogman, he is going on Terminal Leave a little over 2 and a half month before his actual retirement. They will not give him his DD 214 that early.
YES, he will get his DD214 at his final out, even though his actual retirement date is months later. He SHOULD sit down with his personnel department and ensure his DD214 is done correctly with all needed information. (HINT: Take your "I Love Me" book with you to prove everything you say needs to be on it). DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT IT! And protect it with your life...as you see, it is your life! BOL
That's right-When you get your 214 they always told us to take it to your local courthouse and register it and then make a bunch of copies.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Board Regular

When you retire you will get your DD-214 on or after the retirement date not when you take off on terminal leave. Just make sure the info is correct before you take off on leave.