User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Employment Verification for Military

OK guys and gals, need some help here.

I am currently active duty military and in 8 months I will be retiring after 22 years. My actual retirement date is August 31st, 2007 but I start my terminal leave (accumulated vacation taken all at once but still receiving active duty pay) in just over 6 months from now (June 12th, 2007).

During my terminal leave I intend to go to school for my CDL and then hopefully get hired on with a decent company before my active duty pay stops. This will allow me to have a smooth transition with little to no interruption in pay.

My problem is this......one of the company recruiters I am in contact with told me that they will need my DD214 to verify my employment.

No problem EXCEPT that it is not generated until my actual retirement date which is August 31st, 2007. Then it takes time for the fast and efficient government to process it and send it to me. In fact, I was told that I can expect it anywhere from a few weeks up to 9 months AFTER my retirement date.

Is it correct that they NEED the DD214 for verification or could the recruiter have been mistaken???

I can get what we call a "Statement of Service" which is a letter drafted up by our military lawyers that shows my pay-grade, annual income, dates of service, and what clearance I hold (not sure what relevance the clearance is). This letter is very common and I have gotten them before when buying homes. Would this work?

Also....if the military is not not part of your typical 10 year employment history, what do "they" do to very your employment? Why can't the same thing be done for me?

Can any recruiters, ex-military, or ANYONE that may have first hand knowledge of this help me out here???
Old 11-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Employment Verification for Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
OK guys and gals, need some help here.

I am currently active duty military and in 8 months I will be retiring after 22 years. My actual retirement date is August 31st, 2007 but I start my terminal leave (accumulated vacation taken all at once but still receiving active duty pay) in just over 6 months from now (June 12th, 2007).

During my terminal leave I intend to go to school for my CDL and then hopefully get hired on with a decent company before my active duty pay stops. This will allow me to have a smooth transition with little to no interruption in pay.

My problem is this......one of the company recruiters I am in contact with told me that they will need my DD214 to verify my employment.

No problem EXCEPT that it is not generated until my actual retirement date which is August 31st, 2007. Then it takes time for the fast and efficient government to process it and send it to me. In fact, I was told that I can expect it anywhere from a few weeks up to 9 months AFTER my retirement date.

Is it correct that they NEED the DD214 for verification or could the recruiter have been mistaken???

I can get what we call a "Statement of Service" which is a letter drafted up by our military lawyers that shows my pay-grade, annual income, dates of service, and what clearance I hold (not sure what relevance the clearance is). This letter is very common and I have gotten them before when buying homes. Would this work?

Also....if the military is not not part of your typical 10 year employment history, what do "they" do to very your employment? Why can't the same thing be done for me?

Can any recruiters, ex-military, or ANYONE that may have first hand knowledge of this help me out here???
I assume each hiring committee will be different. I think your Statement of Service would be enough. If you have ten years of LESs that would prove your service. You could use your tax returns. Of course list your current unit and good telephone numbers so they can be contacted. One of the main reasons for providing your DD 214 is to show the nature of your service, ie your type of discharge. Explain your circumstances and have your CO sign a letter detailing your service and type of discharge. I served 18 years then resigned my commission so I don't know what goes in a Statement of Service.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
I assume each hiring committee will be different. I think your Statement of Service would be enough. If you have ten years of LESs that would prove your service. You could use your tax returns. Of course list your current unit and good telephone numbers so they can be contacted. One of the main reasons for providing your DD 214 is to show the nature of your service, ie your type of discharge. Explain your circumstances and have your CO sign a letter detailing your service and type of discharge. I served 18 years then resigned my commission so I don't know what goes in a Statement of Service.
I would also think that the Statement of Service would work........

How DO companies verify someones employment?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
I would also think that the Statement of Service would work........

How DO companies verify someones employment?
They make telephone calls. Why do you think they wont hire you if you jump around jobs. Too much work! :lol:
Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
They make telephone calls. Why do you think they wont hire you if you jump around jobs. Too much work! :lol:
LOL.......ok, so then it should be that simple for them to verify me as well right?

I can completely understand them wanting to know what sort of discharge I receive, but for employment verification they should treat me like anyone else.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Your "statement of service" should be just fine.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Your "statement of service" should be just fine.
I hope so......

This is not something that I just woke up one morning and said "hey, I think I am going to be a truck driver"......

I have had this dream since a child and WILL make it happen. I will not let something like this get in my way and will figure a way to "git ur dun"

Guess what I am saying is that I am determined and where there is a will, there is a way!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

In all actuality, the statement of service you mentioned would be about 2 steps above what companies accept in letters from the civillian world to cover periods of unemployment and/or self employment.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

terrylamar & Uturn2001,

Thanks for the replies and the info, I appreciate it.....

I would also like to hear what our recruiter members out here have to say as well
Old 11-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
terrylamar & Uturn2001,

Thanks for the replies and the info, I appreciate it.....

I would also like to hear what our recruiter members out here have to say as well
OK, be that way. :evil: What you really need is to hear from the Hiring Committee. When a recruiter responds they may or may not know the answer. I guess they could bounce it off someone in the Hiring Committee. Good luck! I really don't see how you could have a problem. Personally, I would hire some one with Military experience over someone without.