User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Asking for opinions on GPS systems is like asking for opinions on engines, trucks, and satellite radio - everyone has an opinion, and they all think theirs is the right one.

Like I said earlier - the GPS software that isn't geared toward truckers is pretty much all the same - the difference is in how the data is utilized in the program. THAT is a personal preference.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Asking for opinions on GPS systems is like asking for opinions on engines, trucks, and satellite radio - everyone has an opinion, and they all think theirs is the right one.

Like I said earlier - the GPS software that isn't geared toward truckers is pretty much all the same - the difference is in how the data is utilized in the program. THAT is a personal preference.
I hear ya' Rev........I think that it's gonna boil down to me giving them all a try and seeing what I prefer. (except the CoPilot, too expensive to "try" just to see if I like it or not)
Old 10-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:

I hear ya' Rev........I think that it's gonna boil down to me giving them all a try and seeing what I prefer. (except the CoPilot, too expensive to "try" just to see if I like it or not)
Suggestion - look for a used, last year's version on eBay, and give it a try - if you like it, spring for the new, updated version.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Suggestion - look for a used, last year's version on eBay, and give it a try - if you like it, spring for the new, updated version.
hmmmm.......good idea, I never even thought about that. Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 PM

Just remember that last years version of Streets and Trips does not have the full screen driving mode (a very nice feature).

And the 2007 version uses a GPS module that is 10 times more sensitive than the 2006 version. I've been using the 2007 version and it picks up the satellite signals very quickly and gives accurate positioning.

If you get off route, it recalculates a new plan to get back on to the original route. The only drawbacks I've encountered so far are:

1.) When a road changes its route number - usually at the border of a city, county, or state. Even though the road continues, the software wants to alert you to the change.

2.) It is difficult to see the screen on a bright sunny day. I bought a sun shield that does an effective job of blocking the brightness. Here is the web site: http://www.compushade.com/

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 10-31-2006, 02:45 AM
Board Icon

Just what we need. A bunch of computer age preppies driving trucks! :roll:

I can't IMAGINE how those who drove trucks for decades before us managed to get it done. :shock:

Get an Atlas and study it. Really... I mean STUDY it! Especially the blowups of the cities.

Learn the Interstate and U.S. Highway numbering system. Then, THINK! BEFORE interstates existed, the U.S. highways went THROUGH the cities! EVERY state and county highway has but one purpose... to move traffic either THROUGH or AROUND a city.

If you can't tell north from south, get a compass.

Get a Cell phone, and CALL your receivers/shippers and ASK directions. Compare them to the Altas, and ask questions, especially about landmarks.

For the record, I helped develop the first GPS systems for the military AND civilian use, and later worked for Onstar - which is the premium mapping system. I found both to be wrong quite often, but KNEW why they were wrong. Highways don't always look the same on the "map" as they do on the "ground," and POI's CANNOT and ARE NOT located properly due to several problems that haven't been fixed yet.

If you are counting on one of these "dime store" systems (ALL of which get their info from the same INCORRECT source,) to get you where you need to be, you are giving up one of the primary functions of a truck driver (and may not deserve to have the job.)

If you've been driving for years and STILL need this kind of help, I don't know what to say to YOU, except.... spend the big bucks and get the best, you obviously NEED it.

But, if you're a newbie, especially one who hasn't even gotten on the road yet, SAVE your money, and LEARN YOUR TRADE!

There will be AMPLE time for you to FAIL at it later. And THEN you can put your career in the hands of some cubicle flunkie who, like (some of) you, has never been anywhere or done anything.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Finally - made it home (left on Oct 6th). I had a couple packages here waiting for me.

1 - USB keyboard/touchpad - plus a 15' video ext cable & a 15' USB ext cable
2 - 7" touchscreen VGA monitor

I've done a few preliminaries, but the 7" monitor will fit perfectly onto the sunvisor of the truck. I made a small plate that I'll use to velcro the monitor to the sunvisor with. Just have to go find some wide heavy duty velcro.

The 7" monitor works BEAUTIFUL, especially with CoPilot (at least in the guidance mode). When I need the display, I'll just fold down the visor. Don't need, fold it up. It came with a mount that I could put on the dash, but I don't want anything that'll block my view.

The worst part of the install is going to be hiding the cables. I like to keep everything uncluttered. It looks like I'll run the cables across to the passenger side and along the passenger door, then to the back where the laptop is sitting.

For the keyboard, I've got a 4 port hub in the front. It'll have the gps receiver, keyboard, and touchscreen hooked to it. I bought a 'steering wheel desk' at T/A a few years back. It's black plastic and is formed with 2 'hooks' that wrap around the top of the steering wheel to hold it in place. There's a small lip at the bottom so it'll keep stuff from sliding off the bottom.

I'd be outside at the truck right now running cables and such, but it's 3am and I'm parked in a residential neighborhood. Don't think the neighbors would like me too much if I was out there doing that, especially since it's fairly cool and would need to run the truck for some heat.

Oh well - I hope to have it finished sometime today. I'll take pics of the finished setup if anyone's interested in seeing it.

Here's just a pic of the keyboard and monitor - just gotta get it into the truck now:
Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Just what we need. A bunch of computer age preppies driving trucks! :roll:

I can't IMAGINE how those who drove trucks for decades before us managed to get it done. :shock:

Get an Atlas and study it. Really... I mean STUDY it! Especially the blowups of the cities.

Learn the Interstate and U.S. Highway numbering system. Then, THINK! BEFORE interstates existed, the U.S. highways went THROUGH the cities! EVERY state and county highway has but one purpose... to move traffic either THROUGH or AROUND a city.

If you can't tell north from south, get a compass.

Get a Cell phone, and CALL your receivers/shippers and ASK directions. Compare them to the Altas, and ask questions, especially about landmarks.

For the record, I helped develop the first GPS systems for the military AND civilian use, and later worked for Onstar - which is the premium mapping system. I found both to be wrong quite often, but KNEW why they were wrong. Highways don't always look the same on the "map" as they do on the "ground," and POI's CANNOT and ARE NOT located properly due to several problems that haven't been fixed yet.

If you are counting on one of these "dime store" systems (ALL of which get their info from the same INCORRECT source,) to get you where you need to be, you are giving up one of the primary functions of a truck driver (and may not deserve to have the job.)

If you've been driving for years and STILL need this kind of help, I don't know what to say to YOU, except.... spend the big bucks and get the best, you obviously NEED it.

But, if you're a newbie, especially one who hasn't even gotten on the road yet, SAVE your money, and LEARN YOUR TRADE!

There will be AMPLE time for you to FAIL at it later. And THEN you can put your career in the hands of some cubicle flunkie who, like (some of) you, has never been anywhere or done anything.
Wow - what a crappy attitude, golfhobo. :roll:

GPS is a tool, just as an atlas is a tool, just as a cell phone is a tool, just as an air gauge is a tool. To claim that anyone who uses that tool that is available just because you don't think you need it is really short sighted and idiotic.

I don't NEED my GPS, I choose to USE my GPS. Yes - it isn't always correct, but I don't care - I know how to cross-reference my directions, and find where I am going. I certainly am not going to rely on my shippers to get me to my origin and destination - most of them couldn't figure out directions out of a cardboard box.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Wow - what a crappy attitude, golfhobo.

GPS is a tool, just as an atlas is a tool, just as a cell phone is a tool, just as an air gauge is a tool. To claim that anyone who uses that tool that is available just because you don't think you need it is really short sighted and idiotic.

I don't NEED my GPS, I choose to USE my GPS. Yes - it isn't always correct, but I don't care - I know how to cross-reference my directions, and find where I am going. I certainly am not going to rely on my shippers to get me to my origin and destination - most of them couldn't figure out directions out of a cardboard box.
Very well said. My intentions will be to use GPS WITH the MCRA, NOT to substitute it. As you say Rev, IT'S JUST A TOOL........nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Wow - what a crappy attitude, golfhobo. :roll:

AND.... Asking for opinions on GPS systems is like asking for opinions on engines, trucks, and satellite radio - everyone has an opinion, and they all think theirs is the right one.
You're right! That was MY opinion! Newbies should learn more about the highway/road system, and less about GPS tools.

If you're gonna let a computer tell you how to get where you're going, you might as well let one drive your truck.

Our society has gotten lazy, and will depend on anything that relieves them of the necessity to LEARN.

Barcode systems have almost done away with the need to check what goes ON our trucks. GPS systems become an excuse NOT to learn WHERE we are supposed to go. The only thing left, is to be a "steeringwheelholder."

So I was in a "crappy" mood when I wrote that. Excuse ME!!! :roll:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.