User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TMC should i get my CDL first?

Heya guys,
I'm new here and have found your post to be very helpful!

My question is that i'm considering going onboard with TMC, i've never driven a truck before, but my grandfather was an Old Timer trucker for 40 years so i've been around them and have always loved em (off the subject sry)

My question is should i study and get my CDL and then sign on with them or just let them send me to the school and sign the year contract? which would be more profitable right off the bat?

Also the schooling program that they are going to give me works like this,. i put about $200 down,. go through the class, after ONE year of working with TMC they pay the school $1000 of my tuition, and $150 a month afterwards, which would mean that i would have to work for them for atleast 20 more months after the first year,. not including interest....

This is why i'm wondering if i should get my CDL then just go through they're orientation/driver program.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 AM

TMC requires a 150 hours of truck schooling before they will pre-hire you. Just having a CDL with no experience will not cut it.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 10-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TMC should i get my CDL first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermic
Heya guys,
I'm new here and have found your post to be very helpful!

My question is that i'm considering going onboard with TMC, i've never driven a truck before, but my grandfather was an Old Timer trucker for 40 years so i've been around them and have always loved em (off the subject sry)

My question is should i study and get my CDL and then sign on with them or just let them send me to the school and sign the year contract? which would be more profitable right off the bat?

Also the schooling program that they are going to give me works like this,. i put about $200 down,. go through the class, after ONE year of working with TMC they pay the school $1000 of my tuition, and $150 a month afterwards, which would mean that i would have to work for them for atleast 20 more months after the first year,. not including interest....

This is why i'm wondering if i should get my CDL then just go through they're orientation/driver program.
Incorrect. The program TMC offered for your consideration is as follows:
They will get you financed through a school at a $1000.00 discount off that school's regular tuition loan amount. TMC will pay $150.00 per month towards your school loan beginning IMMEDIATELY. Your up front cost will be a $200.00 payment.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Rookie

hey fred is that the total out off pocket cost for a student?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

That is the particular deal THAT candidate was offered. Based on your location, credit score, specific needs and more, your deal will vary.
There's a sponsorship program, a loan program, a tuition reimbursement program, certain state or federally offered grants/loans, and more. Everyone is different.
Don't forget you'll need pocket money while at orientation and during training and for any silly stuff you may buy along the way.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
That is the particular deal THAT candidate was offered. Based on your location, credit score, specific needs and more, your deal will vary.
There's a sponsorship program, a loan program, a tuition reimbursement program, certain state or federally offered grants/loans, and more. Everyone is different.
Don't forget you'll need pocket money while at orientation and during training and for any silly stuff you may buy along the way.
How much "slack" would one need for the extra stuff (silly stuff or w/e)? I might be off to the same school in IA that you attended, so i'd rather plan ahead. I'm also planing to pay it all upfront... (I talked a crapload today with Matt, and tomorrow will be the big day. We'll see what happens)

cheers

BND
Old 11-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyNextDoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
How much "slack" would one need for the extra stuff (silly stuff or w/e)? I might be off to the same school in IA that you attended, so i'd rather plan ahead. I'm also planing to pay it all upfront... (I talked a crapload today with Matt, and tomorrow will be the big day. We'll see what happens)

cheers

BND
People are advised to bring about $15.00 per day, I spent about $40.00/day. But I ate like a pig, went out a few nights/week and generally wasn't frugal.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Board Regular

another Q... how did you manage to go to the school in burlington? did you get a different hotel room, or were you staying in Des Moines? I'm a bit confused...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Board Member

TMC paid for a hotel near the school.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
TMC requires a 150 hours of truck schooling before they will pre-hire you. Just having a CDL with no experience will not cut it.
Not calling you a liar, but this is not true at all. In my area here, there are 3 "local" truck driving schools. One offers a 160 hour course and two of them are 120 hours. TMC has hired several drivers from all three schools and even "sponsors" the training at one of the 120 hour schools. I know this for a fact, they offered to sponsor me at one of the 120 hour schools and I personally know 2 guys that they hired out of this 120 hour school. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing and they may advertise differently, but they do not require 150 hours of training.

Unless this has all changed in the past few months, and in that case, ignore everything I just said...