User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GPS......more confused than ever

Ok, first off, I know that nothing beats MCRA. But I would like a GPS system as an ADDITION to the atlas. I thought I was sold on the Delorme until I did a search on here for GPS navigation systems.

After reading the various posts, there are mixed reviews about Delorme, Streets & Trips, and Co-Pilot.......I am now more confused then before I started my search.

If I wanted a GPS system for my laptop that was easy to use, talking directions, as accurate as possible, is trucker friendly that either has or is able to program POI's such as T/S, scales, restricted roads, etc.....

Which system could give me those and is the best "bang for the buck"???
Old 10-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Board Regular

ok... From what i've gathered, and from past experience...

Streets $ trips is the best "all around" software... i used it in my personal car, and liked it. BUT... i like iGuidance way better... iGuidance has 3D maps, and the best routing i've seen. For a car that is. I'm using it constantly, but i bet it's no good to truckers. Has no route planning, and has no trucker stuff (low bridges etc) but i find this one to be the most up to date...

My $0.02

Cheers
Old 10-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I use both CoPilot Truck and Streets & Trips 2006.

Here's a small comparison between the 2:

CoPilot has it's 'quirks', but is a really nice program. Streets & Trips is a great program, but lacks the truck specific items.

My suggestion if you're getting your first GPS program: Streets & Trips 2007. Use it for awhile, and compare it's routing against your companies routing, and against the MCRA. If you like it, then get CoPilot later on.
                Old 10-28-2006, 01:51 PM
                Senior Board Member

Quote:
                My suggestion if you're getting your first GPS program: Streets & Trips 2007. Use it for awhile, and compare it's routing against your companies routing, and against the MCRA. If you like it, then get CoPilot later on.
                That Co-Pilot ain't cheap either at about $400.00. Would hate to spend that kind of money only to find out it wasn't worth it.
                Old 10-28-2006, 04:00 PM
                Board Regular

Quote:
                Originally Posted by devildice
                Quote:
                That Co-Pilot ain't cheap either at about $400.00. Would hate to spend that kind of money only to find out it wasn't worth it.

You can also buy the MS Streets and Trips version without the GPS receiver for about $35.00. The route planning features and the street level mapping makes it well worth the price and makes an excellent addition to the MCRA.

As an addendum to Malaki’s post, you can also add in truck stops, weigh and inspection stations, rest areas, turnpike travel plazas, parking areas, shippers and consignees, company terminals, etc. in MS Streets and Trips. I have already added in tons of those items into my default map and it makes your job that much easier.

Furthermore, I am a satellite radio junky. Hence, I never ever use the voice feature of MS Streets and Trips. On the GPS pane I check “Rotate map to follow travel direction” and toggle on “Use Dynamic Turn View” anytime I’m within 35 miles of my next turn and let the screen guide me. If I’m further out than 35 miles from my next turn I toggle on “Keep position centered” and set the magnification level out 15 to 20 miles. This system works for me and I can see the direction of my next turns by just momentarily glancing at the map.
                Old 10-28-2006, 04:10 PM
                Senior Board Member

Quote:
                You can also buy the MS Streets and Trips version without the GPS receiver for about $35.00. The route planning features and the street level mapping makes it well worth the price and makes an excellent addition to the MCRA.

As an addendum to Malaki’s post, you can also add in truck stops, weigh and inspection stations, rest areas, turnpike travel plazas, parking areas, shippers and consignees, company terminals, etc. in MS Streets and Trips. I have already added in tons of those items into my default map and it makes your job that much easier.

Furthermore, I am a satellite radio junky. Hence, I never ever use the voice feature of MS Streets and Trips. On the GPS pane I check “Rotate map to follow travel direction” and toggle on “Use Dynamic Turn View” anytime I’m within 35 miles of my next turn and let the screen guide me. If I’m further out than 35 miles from my next turn I toggle on “Keep position centered” and set the magnification level out 15 to 20 miles. This system works for me and I can see the direction of my next turns by just momentarily glancing at the map.
                So is it safe to say that Streets & Trips is user friendly? I have looked at MS website on it and is seems to be. And the S & T 2007 with GPS also seems reasonably priced.

What about the Delorme?
                Old 10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
                Board Icon

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Toothpick
                One of the neat features of the Delorme Street Atlas 2006 is that it automatically zooms in when you are coming up on a turn, and then automatically zooms back out.

But, unless the system is specifically geared for trucks, none of the "Big Box" GPS systems are really trucker friendly. A quick cross reference to your atlas will fix that.

I really like the Delorme system for its quick re-routing if you miss a turn. Within 50 feet of missing a turn, it will automatically re-route you until you get to where you want to go.

All the GPS systems sold at Big Box stores are using the same exact mapping data - the difference comes with how the program utilizes that mapping data.
                Old 10-28-2006, 04:34 PM
                Senior Board Member

Quote:
                One of the neat features of the Delorme Street Atlas 2006 is that it automatically zooms in when you are coming up on a turn, and then automatically zooms back out.

But, unless the system is specifically geared for trucks, none of the "Big Box" GPS systems are really trucker friendly. A quick cross reference to your atlas will fix that.

I really like the Delorme system for its quick re-routing if you miss a turn. Within 50 feet of missing a turn, it will automatically re-route you until you get to where you want to go.

All the GPS systems sold at Big Box stores are using the same exact mapping data - the difference comes with how the program utilizes that mapping data.
                Can you program POI's in it and is it user friendly? My O/O friends says it is easy to use but I can not remember if he said you can program POI's.
                Old 10-28-2006, 05:00 PM
                Board Icon

Quote:
                Originally Posted by devildice
                Can you program POI's in it and is it user friendly? My O/O friends says it is easy to use but I can not remember if he said you can program POI's.
                You sure can. I've added truck stops that aren't listed in the POI's (many of them are), and you can add in scales, etc. as well. You can also exclude certain roads from routing if you choose.
                Old 10-28-2006, 05:16 PM
                Senior Board Member

Well I haven't had my Delorme Street Atlas 2007 long enough to figure it out completely but you can fill in anything that you want. There is another thread today about downloading points of interest and that works - BUT they aren't very accurate in my opinion. No program is a replacement for reading signs. :lol:

You can right click any spot on the map and either
                1) Set as Start
                2) Set as Finish
                3) Insert as Stop - you can edit your stop preferences as to how long and weather you will fuel or not.
                4) Insert as Via - this means that you will force the program to route you through that point.
                5) Create address book entry. Name stuff in your address book something logical and simple so that you will find it easily. That way you can easily when planning a route type in "Start: Home" and "Finish: Petro Scranton" and your route will calculate automatically. Otherwise you may pick from a list of anything called "Petro" :lol:

With Delorme you can tell it how many miles you want to drive and how large your fuel tanks are and it will show a symbol for recommended end of day stop and fuel stops.

I do recommend buying "the next exit" and/or a truckstop guide in addition. That will make it easier to find parking near where the software claims your end of day will be.

In some locations the programmed in points of interest are very good and complete. Other locations it can't find much. I recommend searching by ZIP code if possible.

One last note: If you know where you are going then it will probably take longer to use Delorme than Yahoo Maps or something. My wife needs to calculate time and miles locally for her business and she calls the Delorme system "slow and complicated" :lol:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
                --------------------------------------------
                The Road goes ever on and on
                Down from the door where it began.
                Now far ahead the Road has gone,
                And I must follow, if I can,
                Pursuing it with eager feet,
                Until it joins some larger way
                Where many paths and errands meet.
                And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien