User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It is just plain silliness to lump everyone with a family into a category.

1. Most people have families (Wife and/or kids) or if they are young and single they will in the future.
2. Without any knowledge of what those families have been through in the past the writer assumes that they cannot do this.

This writer has made the assumption that if these truckers were somehow employed elsewhere that family life would be wonderful. By the divorce factors in America in general I would have to say this assumption is false.

This writer must have no conception of what it took to build this country or what happened when this country was at war. In this day and age families have it so much easier because of the communication technology that is available.

This writer has not acknowledged that the traditional American family is almost extinct in America. I am certain that each and everyone of us knows many people who are not in the trucking industry that are divorced with children. We also see a couple of generations of children that are thrown into day-care some right after being born and are raised by other people. Then as they become older they become latchkey kids and basically are raised by a television or the neighborhood punks. Sometimes it is just because people want more and other times it has become a necessity for both parents to work just to make ends meet.

While this writer mentioned everything bad he failed to mention any of the benefits or the fact that after a year many people do transfer to companies were they do see their family much more. I know one personally who has far more home time from a local regional trucking company. And there is a person on the board who is also local.

This writer does not understand much of the real world outside of the trucking industry. My son was in soccer for four years. My husband in four years may have only gone to four or five of those games. It would be interesting to see this writer take up some of his own suggestions and see what life is like from that point of view.

And yes the children and I have been separated from my husband for periods of time before. We will deal with it and make the best of the time we do share together. Hopefully we will have more money to enjoy our times together.

I wonder whom this writer feels the trucking industry is fit for. Only those who are already divorced? Or those who are imported up from other countries because Americans cannot handle the job?

Maybe in the big picture the real problem is that families do not value each other and treat each other right. Maybe they do not stick though things because divorce is so easy and things are always greener on the other side (or so they think).

Goin Fer It?s Wife
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315
This post seems familiar. I thought I read this a couple of months ago on here. Weird. Yea it's a good insight though. hey Josh, what company do you drive for, or are you an O/O?
I post this same post every few months...........because of the new people who come into CAD..............I drive for a wholesale Nursery here in North Florida..............as far as O/O................No...........................I sold a sports business in late 2002 and I enjoy taking off from work and going to our other home in the mountains WAY to much to be an O/O.......thought about it, but after reality hit............I .never seriously had the desire, plus the fact, my wife would KILL me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipW
For those new drivers reading this or those thinking about getting into driving, everything that poster said is true... But, if your not prepared for what you are about to do, you will lose your family and friends...
Chip, thank you...........the entire reason for this post is simple..............too many "Newbies" and "Wanabe's" get into OTR trucking for all the wrong reasons.........they seriously DO NOT realize the tremendous change in their life they are about to see and sometimes when reality hits home, it's to late..............that may be one reason the turnover rate in OTR trucking is so high.............

This post is just ONE MANS opinion.............NO WHERE did I say anyone had to agree or disagree............just take what you want and leave the rest..........................nothing more, nothing less..............
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
I guess seeing dad is better than starving?
Sometimes it is. But I wonder why those are the only two choices you offer.

Quote:
burger flipper 6-6.50$/HR 40 hours a week (ya good luck most only hire part time) 260 a week

second job 6.50/25hr
162 a week

total 422 before taxes a week without benifits and such ... oh you'll be home everynight but you can hang up going to ball games etc. with two jobs.
Okay, let's look at how much the average person makes driving truck.

Gone 14 days at a time, home 2 days: 147 hours per week
Average 2600 miles per week @ $0.32 per mile: $832 per week before taxes
AVERAGE PAY PER HOUR: $5.65 PER HOUR for all hours spent away from your family

And I am eagerly awaiting the responses of how you can't count in the time that you are sleeping in a truck, or are off duty in your truck. Sure you can't. :roll:

And I personally find it insulting that you are comparing a SKILLED profession such as truck driving to flipping burgers. Try comparing it to another SKILLED profession, such as construction. If I weren't driving a truck, I certainly wouldn't be flipping burgers. But that doesn't help your analogy. :roll:

Quote:
just being home everyday does not make you a good father! being gone a lot does not automaticaly make you a bad father!
True, but being home gives you a better chance at being a good father, just as being home less gives you a harder chance at being a good father.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Board Regular

The only job I really ever wanted was to become a professional helicopter pilot. But schooling is way too expensive; and I didn't have rich parents to hand me everything. I also wasn't the smartest person in school, so I couldn't get a nice scholarship. Therefore the only way I could accomplish my life-long career would be to go in extreme debt. That's just not worth it to me. So there are not many other choices as far as my career goes. Manufacturing jobs pay decent, but they are so unstable. So, other than becoming a factory worker, the next best thing is a truck driver. It's a stable career and has room for advancement (OTR to Local). And forget working two full-time fast food jobs. Where will that get me later in life? I agree with Redeemed, "IT'S BECAUSE MOST OF THE WORKING WORLD OUTSIDE OF TRUCKING SUCKS TOO!!!!!"

I'm sure truck drivers deserve a lot more than what they get. I may be wrong, as I'm not a truck driver yet, but I don't think they have it too bad. I'm sick of seeing all of the negative posts about being a truck driver.

You just have to suck it up for 1-3 years and do your best. Then you should be able to find a nice local job, if you want to do the daddy daycare thing and be at home every night.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
AFF, generally....generally speaking....most of what you post here to start a thread has value, or is thought provoking, or entertaining. This one "sucked" and has all the merit of a "blivit".
Skywalker.............:lol: :lol: down boy, down boy :lol: :lol: don't get mad at me, I'm just the messenger.

you read my disclaimer......I just post em, I don't write em.

I post this about every 3-4 months..........and boy the responses are quite diversified............oh yea, the "T-man 20-whatever", he should be around soon to give some of his C&Ping and putting down this administration.. :lol: :lol:

BYW................I bet if we were to take a survey, maybe 95% of the people on this board would have NO idea what a "Blivit" is.............I laughed my butt off when I saw that.........that was my dad's favorite expression when he was alive.

5lbs. in a 2 lb. bag. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skywalker.......just to add, this was posted by "Shuffler" on the other site.............a man who I personally have a lot of respect and admiration for...........he's there to give his experience, strength and hope to the new drivers and some not so new.........he earned my respect, it wasn't given freely.

That doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he post though..........
Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 AM

I was going to reply again, but I've voiced my opinion on this subject on my blog listed below...

Chip
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
i not even going to jump in this one, i jumped in the last one.

it wasnt pretty

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What up Rokk?............great response.

Adam............I believe the person who wrote the original post was more than likely addressing it towards "Over-the-Road", and not "Local"...............where one is out days and weeks at a time.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardmore Farms Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
i not even going to jump in this one, i jumped in the last one.

it wasnt pretty

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: What up Rokk?............great response.

Adam............I believe the person who wrote the original post was more than likely addressing it towards "Over-the-Road", and not "Local"...............where one is out days and weeks at a time.
Thanks Ardmore,

I figured i would just stay in my safety net :twisted:
Old 07-11-2006, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

And most local or dedicated want otr experience. Since most people have families or will sooner or later does this person think that we should import drivers? And if so why does he think that they can do the job better than Americans?

Goin Fer It's Wife