User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thats pretty neat raven; I actually like cows a lot- one of my best friends growing up lived on a dairy farm, I loved going over there to help w/chores, pet the cows and play w/the new calves!- theres nothin' cuter than a newborn calf!My neighbors right now had a very small herd, they are mixed- Holstien, Charlois, and herefords I believe- they have about 10 or less. They have 2 little ones over there right now- so cute watching them play! The man I buy my hay from raises cows too, and has a bull right now that is stunning- I know more about horse conformation, but to me he seems nearly flawless. Unfortunatly he wont keep him (going to be butchered), and may not even be there next time I get hay- I should take a pic of him if he is still there.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Unfortunately, if your raising cattle as a business, that's the down side, if your an animal lover. That they all eventually go off to the slaughter house.

The only ones that get an extended life, are the cows, and when they don't give milk anymore, or suffer some kind of situation that they don't produce anymore, off they go to auction, and the slaughter house...

The average life of a bull is 2 years, and a Dairy Cow, on average is 4 to 6 years. Considering Cattle can live as long as 30+ years, like a horse, it is sad, that mosts in commercial use, don't get to have a long life. The only bulls that get to live a long life, are those that are high quality purebreds that were bred for AI (artificial insemination) use... They are well cared for, highly valuable bulls, that get to live very long lives...

Though on the farm because it wasn't just a Dairy Farm, but, is a Cattle dealing business. We had cows come in of all ages. We actually had a dark brown Jersey come in that was 8 years old. The poor thing was just worn out, from being a Dairy Cow... So, believe it or not, the owners of the farm felt bad for her, even though she could still produce milk. She wouldn't have brought them much money at auction. So, they decided to let her retire at the farm...

She stayed until she passed away, and was buried on the farm, out in the pasture, where she got to spend many happy days, just grazing, and enjoying her freedom from the milking barn...

Of course that is why it was tragic when I got injured in that auto accident. Because once I had to sell my Bull, I knew he would only get a few years if he was lucky, before he too would be sent off to the slaughter house. The reason they usually slaughter a bull at age 2, or 3 at the most is because that is when the meat is at it's best...

I had wished so much that I could have kept my Bull. But, there just wasn't a way for me to keep him... The only solice I take from that time is, that he went on to breed cows, and produce great off spring, so his legacy still lives on...

Like horses, cows all have their own personalities as well... While I was at the farm, there were cows who's personality stood out. Whether they were just quiet, easy going cows, or those who always wanted you to pet them, or just other reasons they made an impression on you... I named some that stood out... Although I knew that eventually they would all end up being sold to other dairy farms.

When you work for a cattle dealer, it is fun, and sad at the same time... Because you get to see a lot of different breeds come through the door, your delivering calves every day. But, it has it's down side... All the cows, and bulls are eventually sold either at auction for slaughter, or to other dairy farms. Of course they didn't just have dairy cattle come into the farm. They had beef cattle, and even Texas long horn, and once a couple of Brahman cattle... When I saw them, I was amazed... They were purebred, and beautiful...

Sometimes we got cattle that were actually peoples pets. What people who raise cattle as pets don't realize. Is, that when they sell that animal to a cattle dealer that animal is going to be put to work, or go to slaughter... Once you give up cattle to a cattle dealer, they no longer get the privilege of being considered a "PET", any longer... Some of the pet cattle don't do well, because they actually become emotionally home sick, and some eventually do become physically sick because of it. Some just give up on life, and die. They will stop eating, lose weight, and become ill, and there is nothing you can do for them... They can't adjust to a commercial Dairy farm life, and some miss their previous owners, and no matter how much attention, or kindness you try to show them. Your an employee, and you just can't give them the time they need... Some do adjust, and thankfully go on to do well...

There are organizations that take cattle, and horses that have been raised as pets, that will retire them, and simply let them live out their lives in a sanctuary... But, I think many people don't realize giving up livestock that have been pets to any LIVESTOCK "DEALER", isn't a good idea, if they want that animal to remain a pet...

In some respects my time on the cattle dealers farm was a unique experience. Though if I had it to over again, I think I would have preferred to work at a regular dairy... At least you don't have to see a lot of the down side of the business that way...

The fun side though was helping calves to be born, and when it was a successful birth, that made your day... Watching the cows, and even the bulls play in the pastures, running around kicking at the air, head butting, and just being cattle, was fun to watch...

The bull that sired my calf was terrific. I used to spoil him... After work, I would take a curry comb, or brush, and give him a good brush down. He loved it, and would stand still for me, while I brushed him. I used to give him big hugs, putting my arms around his neck... He always liked being scratched behind the ears, and along his neck, and back. He really was like a big dog sometimes...

I try to just remember the good times I had there with the cattle... I don't like to think about the sad times... I think my best week there was when we had over 20 calves born in one week... Wow, I can tell you we were very busy that week. I was responsible for caring for all the calves, and I loved it...

Comparing the two experiences, working with cattle, and working with horses. I'd have to say working with the cattle, there was more excitement, and never a dull moment... Though I never had the opportunity to work at a horse breeding farm (which I'm sure would have been just as exciting as working the cattle farm), I could honestly say, that even on a bad day, there wasn't anything else in the world I would have rather done for a career, or work... :wink:

Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

ShyyKatt, do you have photos of all your horses?... Would like to see them if you do...

If I could, I'd probably have a nice beef cattle, or Bison farm, and have horses to work the herd.

But, then again I'd have to live in another area of the country to do so...

There just isn't a need for cutting horses in this area of the country... :lol:

Well, I was a "real cowgirl", there for a while, just didn't have the horse to go along with the job... :lol:

Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a lot of bad days around here, but they are still better than a bad day anywhere else!

I have millions of pics of my herd, will try to post some when I get a chance.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

The pic's would be nice to see, there's no rush, when ever you have time...

Sorry to hear your having a lot of bad things going on... I know you lost some horses, has there been something more recent?...

Well, at least you have a new foal to bring a little cheer to your day...

I remember when I worked with horses, there was a beautiful White Arabian Gelding that was a boarder... I asked if I could be in charge of him, and caring for him, and cleaning his box stall... They let me, and I loved getting to spend time with him... His owner rode him western pleasure.

Then one day, for some unknown reason, I was cleaning his stall, and I was petting him.

He turned his head, and just suddenly gave me a nip right on the boob... :shock: :sad: :lol: It was the first, and last time he ever did that to me... I still don't know what got into him... Maybe he was just having a bad day... :lol: :wink: But, wow, did that hurt!... :shock:

There was another horse I cared for, a flea bitten gray horse by the name of Hazel... She was one horse you never turned your back on... She would if she could nip you good, while you were cleaning her stall... To her it was a game... But, I kept her in her place, with a stern voice of course... Most of the others I worked with, were well mannered easy going horses. When I left there for a job that paid more, I made sure to bring a big bag of sliced apples, and carrots, and made sure all the horses I cared for, got the treats...

I missed being with the horses... I know this may sound silly, but, my most favorite smells are the smell of fresh cut hay, the smell of a horse (not when they've been sweating though), and the smell of a western saddle... Along with the sound of a saddle, the crackling of the leather, when your sitting in the seat... It's just one of those sensory things that stick in your brain... Kind of like some people love the smell of fresh baked apple pie...

Well, I hope your days are better, and more enjoyable... Hopefully you don't have to many bad days... :wink:

Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, horses have their 'days' just like people. We have a stallion, and although he is VERY well mannered, he is still a stud- they have to deal w/their 'desires', and still behave, so they have moody days too; he likes to bite on those moody days, and definetly doesnt trust anyone but me. With stallions it is all about dominance, and even though I have done all the work w/him and he 'knows' better than to get outta line w/me, he will test the boundries all the time- that is just the way they are. I seldom have problems w/him, but the fact that he is a stud means I can never let my guard down around him, unlike mares and geldings.

Anyway, here is one of my old girl, "Galaxy"; this was actually taken probably 12 yrs ago or so. Swimming in the lake was one of our fav things to do all summer (she did the work tho, I am afraid to actually get off and swim!)

Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

No, have not lost any horses recently, thank God; My business is slow, and hubby is gone ALL the time, blah blah blah- you know. I also take care of my folks' stuff too; they live a block or 2 away, so I gotta do all their lawn work, some house work, etc. I have 5+ siblings, do you think any one of them could help?! Oh well, thats life. I really have nothing to complain about- it could always be worse, but I guess its human nature to want better lol. :lol:
Old 06-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

She's a beauty, ShyyKatt... :wink: She looks like she's having fun playing in the water... :lol:

I understand what your saying about family... Well, don't let it get you down... You've got those wonderful horses, and living a dream many others may never get to experience.

You must have been very pursuasive to talk your parents into getting you a pony, when you were young...

I actually participated in 4-H, for a little while... I was supposed to have a shetland pony as my project, from a girl who was going to let me use her pony, for pony cart events, in exchange for me helping her clean her barn, stalls, and care for her horses...

I used to ride my bicyle half way across town after school every day to go help her with her horses, and have her teach me how to drive... But, unfortunately, she let me down...

The pony got colic one day and was an older pony, and after he recovered, she simply said, I couldn't use him as my project anymore... I never did get to actually use him in an actual event at the 4-H grounds. I had hand made a long skirt to wear in school, as part of my costume just for these events. I never did get to show...

My 4-H leader said to me, that this girl had used kids before, promising them they would get to ride, or use her horses, in exchange for helping her... But, when the time came, she would tell them no... She basically used kids, and dashed their dreams...

It was a sad experience for me as a kid... I had worked so hard, just to end up being used by her... Broke my heart, and my trust of other people...

The 4-H leader had a shetland pony stallion he was beautiful. But, as you mentioned Stallions can be quite a hand full... Well, he had been making all kinds of noise, because one of her mares was in heat, and he was digging up his paddock, and making a mess of the place. So, she said, if you want him, you can have him... I said, I couldn't afford him, she said, you can have him for free...

I was so excited, he was a beauty. I rode my bicycle home, and told my mother about the offer... I told both my parents, they said, no... It was one of several times in my life, that my family dashed my dreams, and ambitions...

But, looking back, again, I'm just grateful I had the experience no matter how small it was... I used to have several horse models as a kid, and horse posters hung all over my bedroom walls... I was just passionate about horses...

Even today, I still have images of horses hung on the walls in my home, and I still have some of those horse models. :lol: Even if I don't own a horse, I still haven't given up that passion for them...

I've got several photos of horses I used to ride when I was younger. I used to go horse back riding every year on my birthday when I was a kid... I told my parents that was the only birthday present I wanted, was to be able to go horseback riding... I only have a couple of horse photos on my computer.

They are when I was a baby, and had my first experience with horses. We had distant relatives who owned 2 horses... I'll post them...

Well, if you have any more photos, I'll look forward to seeing them..

Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

These are the two photos I previously mentioned...

This is a photo of me with my relatives two horses in their barn. My mother used to place my stroller in front of the horses, and I would spend most of the day, just watching them. They were sort of like my baby sitters... :lol: My mother said, when it was time to go in the house, that I would cry, because I didn't want to leave the horses... Guess that's when you know you've developed a passion for them... :wink: One of the horses was named "Beauty", a riding horse, and the other was a draft horse named "Tony"...

photos removed by me...

This next photo is my first ride aboard their mare named "Beauty", she was a medicine hat... I had a lot of fun spending time with those horses...

photos removed by me...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Senior Board Member

ShyyKatt, did you ever see the television documentary on "CLOUD STALLION OF THE ROCKIES"?...

It was a very good program, that was on PBS... About a band of wild Mustang horses on BLM managed public lands in the Rocky Mountains... It documented this horses life from birth to becoming a band stallion...