User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My Family Think's I'm Nuts...

I'm closing in on the end of my Professional Truck Driver Training course that I'm taking through a local community college. Last week I got the pre-hire I'd been praying for. I'm so excited to make this leap into my new career.

All of my friends, my boyfriend, even some of my current co-workers (the ones that know I'm leaving) are so supportive and showing me so much love in regards to my HUGE careet change.

My family... not so much.

To the newbie drivers, veteran drivers.... all drivers for that matter.... I ask you, How did your families react to your career choice when you were (or are) first starting out and how did you deal with it?

I'm trying to keep projecting my positive attitude about the whole thing to my family and explain to them how it works, how excited I am about it, how this is something I have dreamed of doing and am finally taking the reins in doing, etc. But they keep trying to bring me down.

Has anyone else here met with such opposition from siblings, parents and grandparents? How did you approach it with them?
:?:

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
-------------------------------------------------------
Drive on Brothers & Sisters. Drive On.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Just wonderin'....why does it matter what anybody else thinks of your decision? You're an adult right?- they should be supportive, and if not, then that is their problem. :wink:
Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 PM

I know, I know. And I was gonna try to make that clear. I am doing it no matter what anyone thinks. They can't sway my decision. I'm an adult and I'm doing this for me, not them.

I was just wondering if anyone else has faced something like this and if so how it turned out for them. It's difficult for me, and I presume that maybe others have the trouble as well, to just toss aside and pass off the thoughts of the family. I'm very close with them all and I do value their thoughts and opinions.

That's not to say I listen to them all the time... obviously! ha! But being as close as I am to my family, and in particular my sister, who is my best friend in the whole world, I'm finding it hard to get them to understand and offer support.

I guess I was also wanting to hear from folks whose family member(s) have gone into the trucking industry and how they felt and feel now.

Maybe a bad topic to start.... but it's too late to retract it now!

Everything I've learned, I've learned the hard way. I prefer it that way, the easy way just isn't any fun!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Rookie

It came as a surprise to me when my husband announced that he was considering going to truck driving school, but I was supportive of him just as he has been of some of my adventures in the past.

Having said that, we were/are in a stable relationship, we've sown most of our wild oats (my way of saying that we're both in our 40s), he wasn't leaving me at home with several children who would wonder where the hell he was all the time, and we have always enjoyed doing things that we don't necessarily enjoy doing together-which is why my present to him on our tenth wedding anniversary was, "Go and have fun!" and I was in Washington state and he was in southern California watching a NASCAR race.

Your loved ones may be concerned for your safety and how the experience may change you. Explain to them all the regulations regarding the trucking industry, and that it's almost nothing like Smokey and the Bandit. I have to admit that I had those same concerns, but was wise enough to give my husband and his choice a chance, and on the whole, it's turned into a positive experience.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks BookBimbo. I know it will all work out in the end and I'm glad to hear a response from someone on the other side of the fence. It makes me hopeful that my family will come around.

I just want some support from them is all... and right now that's not happening. I'm not asking them to approve, but just say... good luck we're behind ya. Instead of... I can't wait to tell you 'I told you so'. They're always so eager to do that with anyone.

But as they say... misery loves company and I'm sure they're just trying to get me in their court of misery.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I can not speak as someone who is in the trucking business... But, I can speak to your concerns about your family, and their non support of your endeavor...

When I was younger, I got interested in automobiles, and so I thought it would be fun to work in the automotive repair business... My dad had actually worked in the business at one time, so he was supportive...

My mother... Forget it... She was against the idea... She just didn't think it was a job for a woman... Once I started the job they came around...

But... I ended up wrecking my back, along with 2 other mechanics, simply because the working conditions were not as they should have been... After 2 back surgeries...

I got the dreaded "I told you so", from my mother... Though my Dad did come to my defense, and said, the same thing I did... Which was, that I could have been injured in any job I had chosen to pursue... Although the likely hood of that happening if I'd worked a desk jobs probably would have been at a minimum... :lol: Although I suppose I could have ended up with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome... :lol:

Anyway, it's your life, and your dreams, and goals... You have to decide if it is worth it to you, after all your the one who has to do the work everyday...

The only thing I would do differently, knowing what I do now is, that I would have a back up plan, just in case things don't turn out as you've planned...

When you choose a career that requires great physical demands, it is wise I think to have something else you may like to do as well, that won't have physical demands should something go wrong... Not to say it will, but, it doesn't hurt to be prepared...

One of the mechanics I'd worked with, when he hurt his back, and couldn't do the work anymore, went on to open his own little retail shop business...

Hopefully though you will have a long, and healthy career in trucking... Don't do anything to put yourself at physical risk, drive safely, and just in case have that back up plan...

I know you want this to work out, and that is the goal. But, just to ease your families concerns, just tell them if it doesn't work out, you have other things in mind that you would like to pursue as well... Maybe then they will try to support what it is you are interested in trying right now...

I found that in my own family, my Dad was the risk taker, and my mother wasn't... My Dad is happy with his career decisions in life, and my mother has never been happy with her choices... So, I guess that's just one example you can look at for your own peace of mind...

If I were in your shoes, I would say go for it... You don't want to have any regrets later on, that you didn't take the opportunity while you had it... So, relax, enjoy all that you've learned so far, and have fun with your new career... Best of luck to you... :wink: