Cobra 148 NW ST - SSB 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I run a Cobra 29 LTD ST, power upgrade to 45-50w, M-84 Mic, and have no complaints. The upgrade cost me 65.00, the mic was another 60.00, and i got the radio for free to begin with, so....

I can put out almost 20 miles sending on a clear late night on flat land....now if only i could hear that far away.

No retarded roger beep, echo, or any of that really annoying crap that is evident of someone having too much time on their hands, and spending too much time on their cb.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnschneider
power upgrade to 45-50w
I think someone was yanking your chain when they told you that. You ought to go get that bench tested.

Quote:
and i got the radio for free to begin with, so....
Can't beat that for a bargain.

Quote:
I can put out almost 20 miles sending on a clear late night on flat land....now if only i could hear that far away.
Your antenna has a major impact on your reception. The Wilson 2000 or 5000 are good antennas, with high dB gains, and will help improve your reception. Or a Monkey Made is an excellent antenna, although they are somewhat pricey.

Quote:
No retarded roger beep, echo, or any of that really annoying crap that is evident of someone having too much time on their hands, and spending too much time on their cb.
The "home base-ers" seem to think it's madatory to have roger beeps in their radios. Echo has its uses, until some jackass gets the bright idea of turning it all the way up, then it gets quite annoying.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
Your antenna has a major impact on your reception. The Wilson 2000 or 5000 are good antennas, with high dB gains, and will help improve your reception. Or a Monkey Made is an excellent antenna, although they are somewhat pricey.
Sorry to inform you but there isn't a mobile CB antenna made that has true gain. The lenghts are just to short. What Wilson is really saying is their antenna has less loss than the other brands. Any antenna that is shorter than 102" (for the CB band) has a db gain of less than one (-db).

There are three standards that antenna gain (loss) is judged against. (1) 1/2 wave diople. (2) 1/4 wave and (3) isotropic antenna. The isotropic antenna is an antenna that does not exist. It is a mathematical model.

If you doubt what I say is true then email Wilson and ask them what the db gain is for their antenna vs a 1/4 wave antenna.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
The "home base-ers" seem to think it's madatory to have roger beeps in their radios. Echo has its uses, until some jackass gets the bright idea of turning it all the way up, then it gets quite annoying.
I'll go with the original poster. Anything introduced into the signal is distortion.

kc0iv
Old 02-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Senior Board Member

TRAM WILDCAT MODEL WC-73

CB ANTENNA - 26 to 30 MHz - TRIPLES THE TRANSMIT AND RECEIVE - 73" OVERALL HEIGHT - 47 1/4 STAINLESS STEEL 17-7 ph TEMPERED WHIP - TRIPLE HEAVY-DUTY GIANT CHROME PLATED *BRASS COIL - 12.9 DB GAIN - TRIPLE WAVE - 15,000 WATTS
Any opinions on this one?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Sorry to inform you but there isn't a mobile CB antenna made that has true gain. The lenghts are just to short. What Wilson is really saying is their antenna has less loss than the other brands. Any antenna that is shorter than 102" (for the CB band) has a db gain of less than one (-db).

There are three standards that antenna gain (loss) is judged against. (1) 1/2 wave diople. (2) 1/4 wave and (3) isotropic antenna. The isotropic antenna is an antenna that does not exist. It is a mathematical model.

If you doubt what I say is true then email Wilson and ask them what the db gain is for their antenna vs a 1/4 wave antenna.
I referred to gain, as opposed to loss, to try keeping it simple. I really don't care to get into in-depth explanations for something as simple as recommending an antenna to mount on a truck. I've been messing with these things for a while, being a licensed amateur radio operator for some time (with a "KF" call; not some newbie with "KG" or "KH", or whatever is being assigned now - I haven't keyed up to keep track of it in some time, unfortunately).
Anyhow, for the purpose of keeping it simple, I said "gain", instead of going into a diatribe which would have caused unecessary typing, but, it looks like I failed to avoid that either way.
Anyhow, since we're at it, know anyone in the market for some Swan radios, in excellent condition? 6m, 10m, and 15m are available. I just simply don't have the time anymore.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I've been messing with these things for a while, being a licensed amateur radio operator for some time (with a "KF" call; not some newbie with "KG" or "KH", or whatever is being assigned now
And just what KF call would that be????

Now with all the banter back and forth about antennas and what is good... None are, all mobile antennas are compromises plain and simple. All the huge coils and rhetoric spouted about Wilson and the others is just that, rhetoric. Unless a driver can install a true 1/4 wave antenna cut for 11 meters, the antenna is worthless....

Let's see 1/4 wave antenna cut for 27Mhz... 10 feet 4 inches. Not including radials!!!!

Old 02-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
all mobile antennas are compromises plain and simple.
Some are just better compromises than others.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Quote:
I've been messing with these things for a while, being a licensed amateur radio operator for some time (with a "KF" call; not some newbie with "KG" or "KH", or whatever is being assigned now
And just what KF call would that be????

Now with all the banter back and forth about antennas and what is good... None are, all mobile antennas are compromises plain and simple. All the huge coils and rhetoric spouted about Wilson and the others is just that, rhetoric. Unless a driver can install a true 1/4 wave antenna cut for 11 meters, the antenna is worthless....

Let's see 1/4 wave antenna cut for 27Mhz... 10 feet 4 inches. Not including radials!!!!
You should know the region - 4. Don't bother though. I haven't transmitted, even for net checks, in almost two years. I won't give out the full call for the same reason I wouldn't give my address or phone number out online.

And to say the antenna is worthless.. well, that's a statement which leaves room for debate. Perhaps in comparison to a base antenna, it would seem so. But, there are mobile antennas of varying quality available.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You should know the region - 4. Don't bother though. I haven't transmitted, even for net checks, in almost two years. I won't give out the full call for the same reason I wouldn't give my address or phone number out online.
The reason I asked about your call is the fact that I may know you I've been licensed for 17 years and probably was the guy who issued you the test...

Quote:
OOPPPSSS the measurement should be 8 feet 6 inches 234/27.195

Old 02-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
The reason I asked about your call is the fact that I may know you I've been licensed for 17 years and probably was the guy who issued you the test...
I bow to experience. I was living in Strasburg, VA, when I took the test.
Anyhow, forgive me if I appeared to be rude with my statement. It wasn't my intent.