User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
I referred to gain, as opposed to loss, to try keeping it simple. I really don't care to get into in-depth explanations for something as simple as recommending an antenna to mount on a truck. I've been messing with these things for a while, being a licensed amateur radio operator for some time (with a "KF" call; not some newbie with "KG" or "KH", or whatever is being assigned now - I haven't keyed up to keep track of it in some time, unfortunately).
Anyhow, for the purpose of keeping it simple, I said "gain", instead of going into a diatribe which would have caused unecessary typing, but, it looks like I failed to avoid that either way.
Anyhow, since we're at it, know anyone in the market for some Swan radios, in excellent condition? 6m, 10m, and 15m are available. I just simply don't have the time anymore.
Sorry for not getting back to this for so long.

I've been at this for a little longer than you I'm sure. I was first licensed in 1958. And I've had a ham call for all but 4 of those years.

I also worked in the antenna field for over 10 years first as an installer and later as a design engineer so I think I know a few things about antennas.

I'd agree with Doctor Who when he said "None are, all mobile antennas are compromises plain and simple. All the huge coils and rhetoric spouted about Wilson and the others is just that, rhetoric."

Don't need a Swan radio but I really liked the 350 and 350C when they were new. One of the few sweep tube finals that worked. Wasn't to hot on CW. But I like seperate transmitter and receivers for CW.

kc0iv
Old 02-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Don't need a Swan radio but I really liked the 350 and 350C when they were new
Ah yes a Swan Signett but I'll settle for a Drake TR4 or TR7!!

Quote:
I bow to experience. I was living in Strasburg, VA, when I took the test.
Anyhow, forgive me if I appeared to be rude with my statement. It wasn't my intent.
Jeff, don't know about the "bowing" part.. Don't worry about being rude, I didn't see the response as rude at all!!!

Old 02-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Good deal then. I really wanted to avoid the technical discussion, because I'd rather not confuse drivers, and have to answer a bunch of, "well, the CB shop said this..." statements. That, and the guy just looking for a radio and antenna that'll work and sound good probably isn't too concerned about 234/27.185, etc.
I used to carry 2 meter and 75 cm radios in my truck, but, it's happened more than once where I'd key up with a KF4 number in region 3, and they'd automatically figure I was a truck driver, and get some high and mighty attitude. VF3CMJ, if I remember his call correctly, was the worst for it. It would be just like it is on 19, although somewhat less profane, so, I figured, why bother?
I've never actually used those Swan radios. The old man who lived down the road used to show me a lot about them, and when he died, his wife reasoned he'd probably prefer that she sell them to me. I couldn't use them at the time, because I only had technician, so I upgraded, then ended up moving, and so, they sit. Those radios, and countless boxes of extra tubes.