Cobra 148 NW ST - SSB 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have the Night tracker. Yes, I bought it for the looks! :lol: I'm just a plain jane CB person anyway. I don't have an image to keep up with.

As far as reception goes, I've heard people as far as 60 miles away at night giving a bear report. It suits my needs and looks cool at night! I believe your antenna(s) have alot to do with it!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanged_Man
You really can't give all of the credit or blame to the CB, the antenna system is key yet I can't find a single CB shop that'll work on them. I'd like to find one that specializes in installing and tuning the right antenna(s) for maximum performance.

Also is it just me or is the right lane on some local streets a killer to your antenna also?. I've lost two already to overhanging tree branches.

As far as which CB to choose I've only had experience with Cobra and Uniden. I seem to have a grounding problem in my truck because I can hear electrical noise in the CB. I can't use the sleeper neon light or it just hisses for example. Both Cobras, including the 29 nw ltd I had couldn't handle it. By the time I squelched the static, I couldn't get any reception either and no one could hear me. That's why I think the Cobra is just snake $&!+. The Uniden I have now works much better, though I'd still like to get a big radio with a quality antenna setup.
Your static feedback is off the engine electronics. You can get an inline noise filter at RadioShack to put on the hot wire!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoCruiser
As far as reception goes, I've heard people as far as 60 miles away at night giving a bear report.
Wow! :shock:
Are you sure about that? 10-15 miles, may be, but 60... :roll:
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks CondoCruiser. I forgot to mention it but I bought one of those filters from a CB shop and had it on with the Cobras too but it didn't help.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
You really can't give all of the credit or blame to the CB, the antenna system is key yet I can't find a single CB shop that'll work on them. I'd like to find one that specializes in installing and tuning the right antenna(s) for maximum performance.

Also is it just me or is the right lane on some local streets a killer to your antenna also?. I've lost two already to overhanging tree branches.

As far as which CB to choose I've only had experience with Cobra and Uniden. I seem to have a grounding problem in my truck because I can hear electrical noise in the CB. I can't use the sleeper neon light or it just hisses for example. Both Cobras, including the 29 nw ltd I had couldn't handle it. By the time I squelched the static, I couldn't get any reception either and no one could hear me. That's why I think the Cobra is just snake $&!+. The Uniden I have now works much better, though I'd still like to get a big radio with a quality antenna setup.
Cb shop next to the petro in West Memphis Ar works on antennas. And the best thing to do for motor noise is run a line down straight to the batteries.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the info, I'll have to remember that.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Rookie

I have a Cobra 29 LTD classic radio and I didn't' know much about radios before i went out and got it. I was told to get that radio and just c 20 antenna and just a 6' coaxial cable. but i have had nothing but problem getting out. i can hear people no problem but can't get out that far. the problem is i slip seat with many different guy so i can't leave my radio in the truck. So anyway i think it is my antenna and my coaxial so i am going to get a new antenna. Can anyone tell me what kind to get. I also live in southwest Ontario. So some say the fiberglass ones are good because the brake in the cold and ice rain. But if any one can help that would be great
Bryan
Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchilds
I have a Cobra 29 LTD classic radio and I didn't' know much about radios before i went out and got it. I was told to get that radio and just c 20 antenna and just a 6' coaxial cable. but i have had nothing but problem getting out. i can hear people no problem but can't get out that far. the problem is i slip seat with many different guy so i can't leave my radio in the truck. So anyway i think it is my antenna and my coaxial so i am going to get a new antenna. Can anyone tell me what kind to get. I also live in southwest Ontario. So some say the fiberglass ones are good because the brake in the cold and ice rain. But if any one can help that would be great
Bryan
I would reccomend a Wilson 2000 antenna, and get yourself 18 feet of mini 8 coax.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

This link should bring you to Cobra's website in the FAQ section. For your question I recommend reading sections:

C) How to choose an antenna
D) All About SWR

http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=...uestions&id=1#

Besides other great info, it recommends 18 feet of cable also like Uturn2001 does. I don't know which brand or model of cable would be the best performer though.

Something else you should do before getting frustrated is check out your ground with a meter. What you need to make sure is that there is little resistance between your antenna mount (usually the mirror mount) and the truck. You can use the mirror mount as one point and the door as the other to check with the meter. The base of your mirror mount probably has a cover over the base which hides the screws and also a grounding wire. Unfortunately after time there will be a calcium (I think) build up so your ground will be useless, and therefore the CB power will not be getting through your antenna. To correct this simply run another ground; one from the base of the antenna if you have an aluminum mirror mount. The best possible ground source is your radiator because not only is it bare metal, it is water. The bolts for your door are good too though.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez498
Quote:

Cb shop next to the petro in West Memphis Ar works on antennas. And the best thing to do for motor noise is run a line down straight to the batteries.
Ive been to that Petro. Busy place :P

There use to be a guy in Florida, Off SR218 in Middleburg, FL area that had a surplus shop, but sold cb's and would trim one for you if you bought it from him.

Dont know if he's still got the shop or not.