User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It's not too soon, is it???

I'm starting the "office pool" on Hobo's chances. 7-5 he capsizes the boat within 3 months and even money he drowns. If you want a piece of the action, PM me, $10 minimum.

(I'm j/k Mr Hobo, j/k)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Reading about "not forgetting the plug" reminded me about what happened with my dad and his brand new 16' bass boat (Bass Tracker aluminum modified hull). The day after he bought it, him and his brother took it to a lake a couple miles from the house. He put the plug in before he put the boat into the water. The trouble was that he put it into the hole for the livewell, not the boat drain. Luckily, though, those boats are full of foam for extra flotation. By the time they got back to shore, less than a foot of the boat was above water.

Because the batteries were under water and it popped every fuse, the bilge pump wouldn't work at all. They got the boat onto the trailer, but his Ford Ranger didn't have enough power to pull it from the lake. My dad and uncle spent about 3 hours with a couple of cut open soda bottles getting enough water out so the truck could yank it the rest of the way out of the lake. They said it took another hour or so of a constant, heavy flow of water from the drain hole before it finally emptied out.

Luckily, the only permanent damage done was to their pride. I just wish they would've taken pictures.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
The friend that wants to sell the boat told me about it being "a hole in the water you pour money into." I'll be sure to bring that up in the negotiations.........

But, I just thought of something. If the motor won't work for a reasonable price... I'll scrap it and install a mast and sails. I happen to BE an "accredited" SAILOR according to some school in Annapolis, MD. I've logged more than a few hours on a 26 ft. sailboat on Chesapeake Bay. [30 years ago!]

Keep it coming guys! I haven't parted with the money just yet.
1. I think you probably have eliminated skiing if you choose this route..LOL

2. If you are serious about putting a mast and sails on the hull, as a sailor, you should already understand the reason a sail-powered boat has a keel or centerboard. I hope you made this suggestion in jest.

Good luck with your venture.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
If it's too small how do you land the helo on it? Just down the road you can rent almost any size you want by the day/week. You want to cross the lake in a 14-16 foot pray for calm all the way across.
Ah c'mon... if the Edmund Fitz can make it.... oh wait.... um, nevermind! LOL.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Board Icon

Sharlie said:

Quote:
I saw your arguement over whether or not it could pull a skier. I guess you're correct it might be able to yank one (hope they or you are tiny).
Just to be clear, it was my friend who claims he skied behind a 40hp before. Not me. I skied behind a 55 in my teens. I'm not expecting to be able to do much if any skiing until I can find a bigger motor at a good price.

Quote:
Your biggest problem when it comes to bargaining, its summer time. The best time of year to BUY a boat is winter when people are trying to unload them.
Again, to clear things up. Not going to be much bargaining. He bought the boat with everything working for $1200 in the late 90's. He knows I expect to get it for no more than half that in the condition it might be in. Also... I wasn't shopping for a boat. I mentioned something about it in convo with my friend and he said his friend had one he's been trying and dying to get rid of for years. We're talking $500 or so for a boat that he don't want, and I don't really need. I'd rather get it now and not lose the summer of fun. P.S. I don't "do" shopping!

Quote:
The secret to getting and keeping a boat, be prepared to do your own maintenance. You can buy an owners manual for most makes and models of outboards. Find a boat junkyard, or some small shop that will help you save money with parts.
I'm not big on mechanics, but I can probably do some. I'll get the manual as you say... but, my friend has ANOTHER friend who has a boat/motor and can fix anything for a 12-pack and a few bucks.

Quote:
The other prop damage. Know the area you plan on navigating. If you run it a ground you'll be lucky if you only end up with prop damage.
Yeah, I have alot to learn about bouys, channel markers, etc. Walmart sells maps of the lakes around here, and I'm thinking of splurging for a depth-finder just in case. Several years ago, we had a big drought around here and the whole lake dried up to just the channel stream (and I do mean stream!) I got to see some of what the shoreline and bottom looks like. Not much down there... but, I don't plan on getting too close to the shore unless I see a dock and a cooler of beer.

Quote:
If I were you negotiate for all his left overs: lifevests, flares, flotation devices, parts, flags, tools, oils, lube, supplies etc, to get thrown in. That right there will save you a small fortune.
I'm sure he'll throw SOME of those things in, but he has another boat(s) so he may not want to part with anything he uses on them.

Quote:
Get a floating key ring! I'll spare the story of me dropping my dads entire key ring (with every key know to man) as we were setting out for a day of boating. Lucky for me he was entertaining our pastor or he would have killed me. He even paid divers to try and find them, no luck.
LOL. funny story. I already thought about that. Just in case the whole thing ends up at the bottom of the pool... I'm gonna get some kind of floating "bag" to put keys, wallet, and beer opener in! Can't afford to lose my cdl and med card.

Quote:
As to setting out on the maiden voyage. Tempting. I love the boating and being in the middle of the water, full speed, wind hitting so hard you cant hear anything. pound pound pound of the water. Happy 4th Hobo!
Ha! I bet you just want to be there to see me come back as red as a lobster! Hope you had a happy one too. Did you hear about the fireworks display in San Diego? 500,000 people showed up for what turned out to be a 15 second display! Computer error launched the whole shebang in one fell swoop!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogBook View Post
i do a lot of fishing, got a 17ft w/40hp she gets up and gooos but put a skier with a rope behind it,dont think they get up. 0n the other hand 2500 for a 67 try hull sitting for 10-15 year kinda over priced i would think, try looking on e-bay for boats look at some simler and way the pricing range... ps it need to be in the water and test driven befor hand shake
Actually, I was just comparing it to one I saw on the internet that the guy had kept covered AND garaged and was in top condition. It... like mine... is actually just a V-hull. I think he was asking too much, too. But, I think it gone already. I WISH I could test drive it first, but the motor and stuff will be my responsibility (at that price.) Nope, this is a pig in a poke type of thing. If I never get it in the water, I'll have just paid about $500 for a fancy yard ornament.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytrucker View Post
1. I think you probably have eliminated skiing if you choose this route..LOL

2. If you are serious about putting a mast and sails on the hull, as a sailor, you should already understand the reason a sail-powered boat has a keel or centerboard. I hope you made this suggestion in jest.

Good luck with your venture.
LOL ToyTrucker. Yeah.... I was just having some fun. I don't wanna give MichiganDriver too much of an edge!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM

my bad missed read post, was thinging 2500 not 500, hell for 500 if it dont flot you got something to tear apart and then sell the parted motor on e-bay and dubble your investment. but we all hope it runs and flots well and you return safe and looking like a lobster.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogBook View Post
my bad missed read post, was thinging 2500 not 500, hell for 500 if it dont flot you got something to tear apart and then sell the parted motor on e-bay and dubble your investment. but we all hope it runs and flots well and you return safe and looking like a lobster.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, LogBook! I knew it was just a misread.

But, now you see my point. For $500 bucks... I can't go wrong.

Man... I sure hope that truck in your avatar is not YOURS! THAT's gotta hurt a whole lot more than if my boat leaks!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member