User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
All very good information... but, I doubt I'll have a chance to check out the motor before buying it. Kinda like buying a 'pig in a poke.' I'm expecting to have to pay a couple hundred (at MOST) to get the motor seaworthy. Like I said... it was working when he parked it. FOUR TIMES the cost of the boat? Are you serious? How much can a used O/B motor cost? LOL.
Having just repaired a Johnson 20 hp, I can tell you that just the shifting lever, alone, was $107. And, that shaft measures about 6 inches long by about 7/16 diameter. That's not made of gold... IT'S MADE OUT OF PLATINUM... You'll find that if it's something unique to a marine engine, the cost is quite high. Bearings for the lower unit may cost $20 to $30 apiece, and plan on two of them. The seal on the shaft (in the housing, between the bearings and prop, to keep the water and gear-lube separate) may run you $40 to $50. And, check the seal surface to make sure it's not grooved... If it is, you may be spending another hundred. The water pump is generally a rubber (neoprene) spur or "gear looking thingy" about half an inch thick. After sitting for years, one trick was to flip it over so the "teeth" are going the other way and are a bit more efficient before they start breaking off. But, here again, be careful. Those things generally have a little (I mean little) plastic key that goes into a "flat" surface in the shaft (rather than a normal keyway). Being small, it's very easy to lose, and if you don't know what you're looking for, you'll never find it.

And, I lied... There are 3 bearings in the "gear-case","final drive" or "output shaft housing" (what Mal called the lower unit). Two on the shaft that turns the prop, and one that holds the lower end of the drive shaft coming down from the motor. (The shifting shaft should have brass bushings)

From what I've seen down here, there is nothing on a marine engine (outboard) that's inexpensive. I've seen a guy "rebuild" a hydraulic cylinder for the engine tilt. 3 "O"-rings that cost about a buck... Cost of the repair $300 for one cylinder. (That would be $299 for labor, and it was done in about 15 minutes.) I would be very surprised if you can get repairs done for what you might consider reasonable rates. Down here, they have an entirely different standard for the rates than they do for automobiles. I'd say it boarders on GOUGING, but I've seen the cost of the parts. And, that final drive gets a good grade of 80-90 weight gear lube. Make sure there's no water in there or you'll be replacing bearings and seals, possibly the shaft as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo;512876That's a good question! I haven't asked yet, but I THINK it is fiberglass. It LOOKS like fiberglass to me in a picture I found at the following link. [picture no longer available.
Try this link for a similar looking Newman:

1969 ski boat fiberglass v bottom boat vintage

Yeah, that would be a bummer. I just asked my friend who has seen the boat, and he says it's fiberglass. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it don't leak, but... it was in good condition when the owner (also a friend and a friend of MY friend) last had it in the water... maybe 10-15 years ago! The guy bought it in the late 90's and used it a few times. Everything was working when he parked it. He's very meticulous about his 'toys' and took good care of it even after he quit using it.
]I think you WILL! I'm not a big fan of pontoon boats. Kinda like driving a "governed" truck! I wasn't looking to buy a boat. This is kinda one of those "targets of opportunity" deals. It's a bargain for anyone who ever THOUGHT he might want to own a boat. So... I'm gonna take a chance.

I can afford to lose the money if I NEVER get it wet. But... I'm hoping I can get it in the water for less than a grand. Next, I'll rebuild my camping supplies/equipment and soon I'll be taking weekend vacations all over NC. I camped a good bit when I lived in Colorado. Haven't done a dang thing since I moved to this Hellhole 20 years ago. I NEED to get out of this house... and off the internet!

THANKS for all your advice and info!
And, someone else was right about the way a fiberglass boat is built as well. There are ribs made of plywood (perhaps 3/8 inch) and a plywood deck. If the boat was covered so that water could not seep in between the deck and the hull, it should be in reasonable shape. If water got in there, you can expect that the decks will not support much weight. Walking around in there on a deck that has some "give" to it would suggest you don't want to hit waves at any speed. If the deck support is weak, very likely the hull is too. On mine, the ribs were also coated with fiberglass, but nothing smooth. Little needle points sticking out all over the place. Like handling cactus.

I had a 14' fiberglass Arkansas runabout with a 45 horse Mercury. (The old vertical 4 cylinder with 4 carbs that had to be synced.) Youngest son took it out to the lake with some friends and forgot to put the plug in when he put it in the water. They hooked it to a pickup with a chain and dragged it out, full of water. That was sort of the end of it. I think it saw water once after that. But, all four of my kids learned to water-ski behind it.

Before you actually plan on how little you can get by with on repairs of the outboard, do a google search on outboard parts. It'll give you an idea what you could be in for.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
First of all, you alway post the length.

16ft Its for fishing I take it? 55 Hourse power, cant really pull a skier, but a tube.

My only advise to a newbie boat owner, Don't Forget the Plug!
Its always a sad but funny day to a see a new boat owner, sink his boat on his maiden voyage.
Actually, 55 hp will pull "a" skier. I pulled a grown man with one ski with my 45 hp (and that's much harder than pulling the same man on two skis). Trying to pull up two adults is another matter. Two kids is no problem, though. Also depends on the prop. If it's a speed prop (generally two blade), it won't do well with skiers. If it's a power prop (generally 3 blade) it shouldn't do too bad at all.
Very, very true...

(When I forgot to put the plug in, I started the engine, raced across the lake and back, and let the water drain back out. Obviously, it hadn't sunk, but it did have a few gallons of water in it. The hole went straight out the back, so as long as the boat was moving at a good speed, it allowed the water to run out. And, I only forgot it once.)

Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Jesu Christo, Windy! I think I'm sorry I asked! LOL!

Excuse me.... I gotta go PEE!

[Seriously....thanks for the info. I'm like a sponge right now. Soaking up ALL of this info.... and then rinsing it out before putting it on it's shelf!]
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Board Icon

Sharlie said:

Quote:
First of all, you always post the length.
Is that a compliment or a complaint?

I felt it was important to specify the length of the boat. When I was MUCH younger... I skied behind a 14 ft. Tri-hull with a 55 motor. This is NOT that boat! The link I had to settle for, was a boat 1 or 2 ft. longer... with a bigger motor. My boat is more like a smaller version of "the MINNOW." [Gilligan's Island.]

Quote:
16ft Its for fishing I take it?
No, as I understand it... the 16ft version was more of a ski boat. My 14 footer is more of a "pleasure craft." I plan on doing a bit of fishing from it... but, it's more than a John boat or a Bass boat.

Quote:
55 Horse power, cant really pull a skier, but a tube.
The boat I mentioned earlier had a 55 Merc and it pulled at least one skier just fine. But, having been the skier being pulled.... I would have liked more power. MY boat [14 ft.] comes with only a 40 hp motor. SOME say this will pull a skier. I have my doubts. But it don't matter... it will take me and a six-pack to a world outside of this cave.

Quote:
My only advise to a newbie boat owner, Don't Forget the Plug!
What plug? LOL.

Quote:
Its always a sad but funny day to a see a new boat owner, sink his boat on his maiden voyage.
Come on, Sharlie! You know me better than that. I never do anything without doing my research first!

The fact that you can't decide whether to be sad or joyous while watching me sink my boat in front of the entire Marina speaks volumes about your "darker side." LOL! Want a ticket for my maiden voyage?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Rookie

In a former life, I was co-owner of a marine-related business. There is a book called "The Sailors' Dictionary," which defines a boat as "A hole in the water, surrounded by wood or fiberglass, into which one drops money." LOL. This is a sad but true statement that most any boatowner can confirm from bitter experience.

As previously posted, even fiberglass hulls can hold unpleasant surprises. If you can afford to deal with the potential "surprises" you might encounter, the boat you describe could be a fun project for you. If you would rather USE a boat, rather than WORK on a boat, maybe you should consider spending a little more and find a boat that you will not have to purchase quite as blindly as the one you described.
Whatever you decide, good luck.

Last edited by toytrucker; 07-04-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Board Icon

The friend that wants to sell the boat told me about it being "a hole in the water you pour money into." I'll be sure to bring that up in the negotiations.

My DAD (who says he never wanted to own a boat or a motorcycle) told me that the two best days are the day you buy it, and the day you get RID of it!

I bought a Honda 750 one time many years ago. I let it sit because I didn't have the time or money to get it on the road. Probably a good thing. Cost me a few hundred bucks.

This boat, if in good condition, should go for about $2500. I'll probably get it... with NEW tires on the trailer... for about $500. Knowing that I will have to spend some more money on it... I wouldn't even be in the MARKET for a boat I had to spend several thousand on. Not now. I wasn't really looking for a boat when I heard about this one.

But again... I thank ALL for the information and warnings!

But, I just thought of something. If the motor won't work for a reasonable price... I'll scrap it and install a mast and sails. I happen to BE an "accredited" SAILOR according to some school in Annapolis, MD. I've logged more than a few hours on a 26 ft. sailboat on Chesapeake Bay. [30 years ago!]

Keep it coming guys! I haven't parted with the money just yet.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why does it have to be a big one? You ashamed for me to park my "dingy" next to your big yachts? LOL.

IF I ever got the chance to bring it up there, I WOULD like to cruise up to Traverse City and pay a visit to RoadHog. Are you saying that is too ambitious for a small 14 footer?
If it's too small how do you land the helo on it? Just down the road you can rent almost any size you want by the day/week. You want to cross the lake in a 14-16 foot pray for calm all the way across.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Board Regular

I saw your arguement over whether or not it could pull a skier. I guess you're correct it might be able to yank one (hope they or you are tiny).
I've been on the water/boats most of my life, ..... there was some favorite smell thread. My first thought was river water and and an outboard. (not because it makes me hungry). It takes me back to summers working for my family's marina.

Your biggest problem when it comes to bargaining, its summer time. The best time of year to BUY a boat is winter when people are trying to unload them.

The secret to getting and keeping a boat, be prepared to do your own maintenance. You can buy an owners manual for most makes and models of outboards. Find a boat junkyard, or some small shop that will help you save money with parts.

I can't say where you are from but there are two other things that make me chuckle about newbie boat owners. The first I don't see you have trouble with. Launching your boat. As a trucker you should be able to line the boat up just fine, without sinking your truck in the process. Low gear and make sure your parking brake works.

The other prop damage. Know the area you plan on navigating. If you run it a ground you'll be lucky if you only end up with prop damage. You can rebuild your prop, depending on the damage, so don't get rid of one if you do. Get a new one and have the damage one rebuilt, keep it with you later as you never know if you'll need it again.

If I were you negotiate for all his left overs: lifevests, flares, flotation devices, parts, flags, tools, oils, lube, supplies etc, to get thrown in. That right there will save you a small fortune. Get a floating key ring! I'll spare the story of me dropping my dads entire key ring (with every key know to man) as we were setting out for a day of boating. Lucky for me he was entertaining our pastor or he would have killed me. He even paid divers to try and find them, no luck.

As to setting out on the maiden voyage. Tempting. I love the boating and being in the middle of the water, full speed, wind hitting so hard you cant hear anything. pound pound pound of the water. Happy 4th Hobo!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Why does it have to be a big one? You ashamed for me to park my "dingy" next to your big yachts? LOL.

IF I ever got the chance to bring it up there, I WOULD like to cruise up to Traverse City and pay a visit to RoadHog. Are you saying that is too ambitious for a small 14 footer?
Just so you know, Traverse City is for when he "goes to town". He's in Leland, even more remote. Warning to ya, Hobo - Traverse City, Petoskey and much of that area is dangerous. People visit and they all get thinking the same thing - "I could downsize - I don't really need much to live on - it's the internet age damnit, I'll produce ______ and people will buy them - the winters might be a little harsh, but that's ok - I'll just give it a year or two and if it isn't working out I can always move back to ___________."
Old 07-04-2012, 08:15 PM

i do a lot of fishing, got a 17ft w/40hp she gets up and gooos but put a skier with a rope behind it,dont think they get up. 0n the other hand 2500 for a 67 try hull sitting for 10-15 year kinda over priced i would think, try looking on e-bay for boats look at some simler and way the pricing range... ps it need to be in the water and test driven befor hand shake