User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hobo buys a boat

Don't want to take anything away from another thread that I hope to post on... but... I'm "fixin" to buy me a boat. This is a new adventure for me. Can't say I always WANTED one... but, the price is right, and I'm gettin' an itch.

1967 or so... Newman "V hull" ....just a boat for "cruisin'" on the lake.

Recently bought me an F-150 pickup truck for when I move. I think it will haul it to the lake(s) just fine.

I'm definitely in unchartered waters. I'm gonna have to do some research!

I think I can drive away with brand new tires on the trailer for less than $600. What would YOU do?

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 07-03-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: wrong model number. I ain't no FORD man!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Get a big enough one and i'll let you dock it here.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Being a 1967, is it wood or fiberglass? Be sure you look close for any types of cracks and/or repairs to the hull. Pretty sure you don't want to end up with it at the bottom of the first lake/river you take it to.

Be sure you REALLY check out the motor and the lower unit (the part that does the 90 degree bend and ends with the prop). That's where the water pump and such are. A bad lower unit can set you back 4x what you're looking at for the price of the boat. The water intake pump is also part of that. If it's not pumping water, it'll destroy the engine in just a couple of minutes. Make sure you have a set of 'rabbit ears' to test it. Those are a heavy-gauge wire thingy with 2 suction cups on it. One of the cups will have a garden hose connection. It goes over the water-intake ports at the bottom of the lower unit (the 'vented' holes). Water should come out of either a small water port on the motor (outboard), or the rear hull (inboard). It may also come out of the area around the prop itselt, where the exhaust comes out.

Boats are a blast. Before buying the camper, we had talked about buying a pontoon boat. Just figured we'd enjoy the camper more.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

One last thing - since you said it needs new tires, I'm assuming that they're dry-rotted from sitting. If so, be sure to check the bearings as well. In fact, if I was you, I'd plan on getting a new set.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Make sure you check out the deck (thats the floor for you land lubbers) Many are made of plywood covered on both sides with a thin layer of mat & resin . The problem is over the years water gets in there and the plywood rots leaving a weak shell that soon breaks. That can be a VERY expensive repair.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Get a big enough one and i'll let you dock it here.
Why does it have to be a big one? You ashamed for me to park my "dingy" next to your big yachts? LOL.

IF I ever got the chance to bring it up there, I WOULD like to cruise up to Traverse City and pay a visit to RoadHog. Are you saying that is too ambitious for a small 14 footer?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Board Icon

Malaki said:

Quote:
Being a 1967, is it wood or fiberglass?
That's a good question! I haven't asked yet, but I THINK it is fiberglass. It LOOKS like fiberglass to me in a picture I found at the following link. [picture no longer available.] Try this link for a similar looking Newman:

1969 ski boat fiberglass v bottom boat vintage

Quote:
Be sure you look close for any types of cracks and/or repairs to the hull. Pretty sure you don't want to end up with it at the bottom of the first lake/river you take it to.
Yeah, that would be a bummer. I just asked my friend who has seen the boat, and he says it's fiberglass. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it don't leak, but... it was in good condition when the owner (also a friend and a friend of MY friend) last had it in the water... maybe 10-15 years ago! The guy bought it in the late 90's and used it a few times. Everything was working when he parked it. He's very meticulous about his 'toys' and took good care of it even after he quit using it.

Quote:
Be sure you REALLY check out the motor and the lower unit (the part that does the 90 degree bend and ends with the prop). That's where the water pump and such are. A bad lower unit can set you back 4x what you're looking at for the price of the boat. The water intake pump is also part of that. If it's not pumping water, it'll destroy the engine in just a couple of minutes. Make sure you have a set of 'rabbit ears' to test it. Those are a heavy-gauge wire thingy with 2 suction cups on it. One of the cups will have a garden hose connection. It goes over the water-intake ports at the bottom of the lower unit (the 'vented' holes). Water should come out of either a small water port on the motor (outboard), or the rear hull (inboard). It may also come out of the area around the prop itself, where the exhaust comes out.
All very good information... but, I doubt I'll have a chance to check out the motor before buying it. Kinda like buying a 'pig in a poke.' I'm expecting to have to pay a couple hundred (at MOST) to get the motor seaworthy. Like I said... it was working when he parked it. FOUR TIMES the cost of the boat? Are you serious? How much can a used O/B motor cost? LOL.

Quote:
Boats are a blast. Before buying the camper, we had talked about buying a pontoon boat. Just figured we'd enjoy the camper more.
I think you WILL! I'm not a big fan of pontoon boats. Kinda like driving a "governed" truck! I wasn't looking to buy a boat. This is kinda one of those "targets of opportunity" deals. It's a bargain for anyone who ever THOUGHT he might want to own a boat. So... I'm gonna take a chance.

I can afford to lose the money if I NEVER get it wet. But... I'm hoping I can get it in the water for less than a grand. Next, I'll rebuild my camping supplies/equipment and soon I'll be taking weekend vacations all over NC. I camped a good bit when I lived in Colorado. Haven't done a dang thing since I moved to this Hellhole 20 years ago. I NEED to get out of this house... and off the internet!

THANKS for all your advice and info!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

My dad bought us a 14' runabout with an outboard motor back in the 1950's. It was a great way for the family to have fun and get out in the sun. My dad used it every now and then for fishing, but mostly for cruising the lake and water skiing. This boat was wood. I don't remember the brand. The factory burned down a few years after my dad bought the boat and they never made any more like them since all their plans went up in smoke.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Board Regular

First of all, you alway post the length.

16ft Its for fishing I take it? 55 Hourse power, cant really pull a skier, but a tube.

My only advise to a newbie boat owner, Don't Forget the Plug!
Its always a sad but funny day to a see a new boat owner, sink his boat on his maiden voyage.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We only had a 25 hp Johnson outboard on our boat when it was new. Someone stole the motor and my dad replaced it with a 40 hp Scott. I don't recall if he skied with the 25 hp, but I do remember him being pulled with the 40 hp. A 14' or 16' boat is pretty small. Back then boats were more for pleasure than a lot of speed. Our boat would seat 5-6. Looking back, that was a very small boat for that many people.