User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Back when I lived in WI, I was crossing that bridge a couple of times a month. No idea how many times I've crossed it.

I understand that the State of MN was warned a few years ago, that the structure was in trouble. Nothing was done about it. The reprecussions will go on for longer than it takes to replace it.

Wonder how many people will have "BRIDGE-PHOBIA" now.....
Windwalker:

Apparently, you missed the excellent news conference where this was discussed. It seems that nearly 70% of the bridges in the country have been classified as "substandard," or in need of work. This, apparently, does NOT mean they are not considered "safe" as far as government regulations go.

BTW, something WAS done about it. They DOUBLED the frequency of their required inspections of this bridge and others that got the same rating. There were "weld cracks" but the increased inspections showed that they were not getting worse, etc. etc.

If we start with the assumption that ANY bridge across a river is a modern marvel of construction, we might consider that nothing is 100% SAFE. This bridge was 40 years old. Does that mean it is weak and in danger? Don't really think so. Could mean it was built back in a time when craftsmanship and worksmanship MEANT something in this country. Back before "corners were cut" for profit. Remember the old saying, "they just don't make them like they used to?" Well, this was built back when they "used to!"

This was indeed a terrible tragedy, but from what I can tell, all bases were adequately "covered." And the particular construction of this bridge... with the supporting structure underneath instead of overhead.... probably saved many lives as it kept the decking more or less "intact" as it fell to the river, and there was no superstructure to fall on and crush the cars that remained on the decking.

I haven't heard the latest, but I heard one really GOOD hypothesis about how they may have taken up too much of the decking at one time in the repaving process, which would have put too much stress on the joints.

They are also looking into the location and weights of the construction machines AND materials.

The short of it though, is that the "warnings" and "recommendations" for this bridge were not much different than for MANY other bridges in our highway system. That's why they were so surprised! Although there were "ratings" that showed it was not PERFECT, no one really considered it "unsafe."

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatti
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Well, it finally happened. I wondered how long it would take. I was listening to the news this evening and one guy stated that the reason the bridge collapsed was big trucks. He seemed to especially like the heavier trucks and doubles. It couldn't possibly have to poor construction or inferior building materials. :roll:
How did he suggest that the big trucks cross the river? By raft?

Don't you know nouthing? All you gotta do is just drive around it. :P :wink:
kinda hard if you're heading west and the river runs north to south :P
Headwaters are in Bemidji, all you have to do is drive up north around the head waters and then back south! You make it sound like it's a big deal! Plus on the up side that area of Minnesota is beautiful this time of year!
Old 08-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Headwaters are in Bemidji, all you have to do is drive up north around the head waters and then back south! You make it sound like it's a big deal! Plus on the up side that area of Minnesota is beautiful this time of year!
Interesting to find someone ELSE who knows this. I'm not from MinneySoda, but I spent alot of time on a forum there! :lol:

Actually, all you have to do is drive 20 minutes out of your way to cross one of the OTHER bridges in the twin cities! But, THEN you'd miss seeing the beautiful sights of Northern Minnesota!!

Besides, there is a bridge right NEXT to this one that, with a bit of street planning and detour signs, could (and probably will) be used to cross the river at this same point. Only half the lanes of THIS bridge, but since two lanes on each side were under construction.... it would be about the same!

Please let me know if the detour runs all the way up to Grand Rapids and Bemidji!!! I've been looking for a reason to move up there and open a truckstop!!! :lol:

Old 08-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Back when I lived in WI, I was crossing that bridge a couple of times a month. No idea how many times I've crossed it.

I understand that the State of MN was warned a few years ago, that the structure was in trouble. Nothing was done about it. The reprecussions will go on for longer than it takes to replace it.

Wonder how many people will have "BRIDGE-PHOBIA" now.....
Windwalker:

Apparently, you missed the excellent news conference where this was discussed. It seems that nearly 70% of the bridges in the country have been classified as "substandard," or in need of work. This, apparently, does NOT mean they are not considered "safe" as far as government regulations go.

BTW, something WAS done about it. They DOUBLED the frequency of their required inspections of this bridge and others that got the same rating. There were "weld cracks" but the increased inspections showed that they were not getting worse, etc. etc.

If we start with the assumption that ANY bridge across a river is a modern marvel of construction, we might consider that nothing is 100% SAFE. This bridge was 40 years old. Does that mean it is weak and in danger? Don't really think so. Could mean it was built back in a time when craftsmanship and worksmanship MEANT something in this country. Back before "corners were cut" for profit. Remember the old saying, "they just don't make them like they used to?" Well, this was built back when they "used to!"

This was indeed a terrible tragedy, but from what I can tell, all bases were adequately "covered." And the particular construction of this bridge... with the supporting structure underneath instead of overhead.... probably saved many lives as it kept the decking more or less "intact" as it fell to the river, and there was no superstructure to fall on and crush the cars that remained on the decking.

I haven't heard the latest, but I heard one really GOOD hypothesis about how they may have taken up too much of the decking at one time in the repaving process, which would have put too much stress on the joints.

They are also looking into the location and weights of the construction machines AND materials.

The short of it though, is that the "warnings" and "recommendations" for this bridge were not much different than for MANY other bridges in our highway system. That's why they were so surprised! Although there were "ratings" that showed it was not PERFECT, no one really considered it "unsafe."
I think there's more that coincidence that the bridge collapsed at the same time road work was being done. It will be interesting to see what the investigation shows.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:

Please let me know if the detour runs all the way up to Grand Rapids and Bemidji!!! I've been looking for a reason to move up there and open a truckstop!!! :lol:
I was saying this in response to the guy that said he heard on the radio someone blaming large trucks for the colapse and asked how else we should cross rivers... Someone else said "drive around".

I know the area well... I live about 25 miles from Minndeinapolips (spelled like some people up north say it)
Old 08-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Quote:

I was saying this in response to the guy that said he heard on the radio someone blaming large trucks for the colapse and asked how else we should cross rivers... Someone else said "drive around".

I know the area well... I live about 25 miles from Minndeinapolips (spelled like some people up north say it)
Yeah, I "GOT it" Deus! BTW, I don't recall him saying he heard it on the radio. I suspect this is being "floated" on the meganews channels. Courtesy of PATT and other anti-truck lobbyists! :roll:

My response included something "I" heard on the news, about how it would be SO.... unfortunate for big trucks who would have to drive an additional TWENTY MINUTES to get "around" this closure! :roll:

Anyone who can't spare 20 minutes for a "drive around" has planned his trip TOO closely!! :shock:

Personally, I've never had to drive through there, but if I-35W is so congested, as I've heard it is, I would probably have spent the extra 20 to drive around it ANYWAY!! (especially since it was under construction!)

From what I know, Northern MinneySoda IS beautiful this time of year, and I would LOVE to have an "excuse" to have to detour through there! Obviously... more than a 20 minute detour, but well worth the time, if you have it!

You don't drive for SMX do you? (Not sure if I have the name right.) At one time I was considering moving up there, and that was the only company I could find on the internet that I might could go to work for.

I don't really MIND driving in snow.... but I'm not sure if I want to "ask for it!" :lol:

When I get to the point that I can "write my own ticket" and move around as much as I'd like.... I will DEFINITELY try at least a year in "northern" MinneySoda! As long as I don't have to drive NORTH and EAST! :lol:

Old 08-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I "GOT it" Deus! BTW, I don't recall him saying he heard it on the radio. I suspect this is being "floated" on the meganews channels. Courtesy of PATT and other anti-truck lobbyists! :roll:

My response included something "I" heard on the news, about how it would be SO.... unfortunate for big trucks who would have to drive an additional TWENTY MINUTES to get "around" this closure! :roll:

Anyone who can't spare 20 minutes for a "drive around" has planned his trip TOO closely!! :shock:

Personally, I've never had to drive through there, but if I-35W is so congested, as I've heard it is, I would probably have spent the extra 20 to drive around it ANYWAY!! (especially since it was under construction!)

From what I know, Northern MinneySoda IS beautiful this time of year, and I would LOVE to have an "excuse" to have to detour through there! Obviously... more than a 20 minute detour, but well worth the time, if you have it!

You don't drive for SMX do you? (Not sure if I have the name right.) At one time I was considering moving up there, and that was the only company I could find on the internet that I might could go to work for.

I don't really MIND driving in snow.... but I'm not sure if I want to "ask for it!" :lol:

When I get to the point that I can "write my own ticket" and move around as much as I'd like.... I will DEFINITELY try at least a year in "northern" MinneySoda! As long as I don't have to drive NORTH and EAST! :lol:
Nope, don't drive for SMX...I don't think I've even heard of them. The snow isn't so bad, come on up. Minnesota is a great place to be.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Default I guess I am a wussy..........

I used to hate going over that quary in Chicago. I was new driver and seemed to get stuck up on that thing every time I went to that city. I used to get on the radio and wine like a guy driver Tehe.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Just found out that I get to go see this collapse first hand. :roll:

J/K, I WILL go around. :wink:

Gotta load going to the southwest side of Minneapolis, so I can get to the yard in Mondovi, WI and get an APU installed. 8)
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildK9
Just found out that I get to go see this collapse first hand. :roll:

J/K, I WILL go around. :wink:

Gotta load going to the southwest side of Minneapolis, so I can get to the yard in Mondovi, WI and get an APU installed. 8)
You're not going to be very close to the 35w bridge
You driving for Randy Marten Now? :P