Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
The problem with the dems and repubs are they both want rules to stiffle our personal freedoms,
So, I would ask you this. The democrats and the Republicans have been in power for a really really long time. Exactly what personal freedoms have I lost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
Let's see: patriot act, seatbelt laws, no smoking laws, no picking your nose in public laws. you know, things like that.
Your right to personal freedom ends when your behavior affects others. See the bolded above.
Ok, how do seatbelt laws affect others? And as far as smoking goes, no one has ever shown me hard evidence of second hand smoke. and if you think a little second hand smoke is bad for you, god help the 15,000,000 ppl that live in Lost Angeles and have to breath all that smog down there
Old 05-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The problem with the dems and repubs are they both want rules to stiffle our personal freedoms,
So, I would ask you this. The democrats and the Republicans have been in power for a really really long time. Exactly what personal freedoms have I lost?
Quote:
Let's see: patriot act, seatbelt laws, no smoking laws, no picking your nose in public laws. you know, things like that.
Your right to personal freedom ends when your behavior affects others. See the bolded above.
Quote:
Ok, how do seatbelt laws affect others? And as far as smoking goes, no one has ever shown me hard evidence of second hand smoke. and if you think a little second hand smoke is bad for you, god help the 15,000,000 ppl that live in Lost Angeles and have to breath all that smog down there
When a seatbelt is not worn and the car is wrecked, then you are in a coma for 30 years (28 years more than your insurance covers), I am paying for your care. That is how you affect others not wearing a seatbelt.

As for smoking, no studies to read through; just answer two questions:

Does smoking harm the smoker?

When a person smokes and inhales normally, then exhales the smoke, have they completely filtered out the tar and carcinogens with their lungs?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When a seatbelt is not worn and the car is wrecked, then you are in a coma for 30 years (28 years more than your insurance covers), I am paying for your care. That is how you affect others not wearing a seatbelt

Just the answer I thought I would get. In this case, you are putting money before personal freedoms. Never used to be that way, but I guess now, money is more important.

Quote:

So? it's their lungs

When a person smokes and inhales normally, then exhales the smoke, have they completely filtered out the tar and carcinogens with their lungs?

No more then most of the smoke stacks in refineries.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When a seatbelt is not worn and the car is wrecked, then you are in a coma for 30 years (28 years more than your insurance covers), I am paying for your care. That is how you affect others not wearing a seatbelt

Just the answer I thought I would get. In this case, you are putting money before personal freedoms. Never used to be that way, but I guess now, money is more important.

Quote:

So? it's their lungs

No more then most of the smoke stacks in refineries.
Quit deflecting. We're talking about a product people buy and insist affect no one else.

I think you misunderstood my point I was trying to make. The answer to the first question is yes and the answer to #2 is no. That is how second hand smoke affects others.

I missed your first reply. Can you try to quote a little better?

No I am not putting money before personal freedom. I will gladly pay for your care. That is the difference. I gladly pay taxes to care for others who can't care for themselves. You asked how it affects others. I gave a reason.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Everyone babbles about the Patriot laws and the rights they've lost.. they cannot explain these rights that they have lost at all. Mainly because they have not lost any.

And I'm betting that the person who is pretending that there is no hard evidence against second hand smoke causing health problems is a smoker.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Well, if the person had been wearing their federally mandated crash helmet, perhaps the seatbelt wouldn't have been necessary!! :lol: :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Another scenario.....Say some guy rolls his car on the highway in front of me, doesnt have a seatbelt on and is thrown from his car out on the highway in front of me. Im going to have to stop my car, get out and pick up whats left of him and move him to the side of the road with the other roadkill. In turn, I might get his blood on me and be late for work. :twisted:
Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Board Icon

Naw.... just let him lie there. I like trying to hit the vultures!

Besides.... whatever you do, don't get his BLOOD on you! He might have AIDS. Aids, of course, probably kills more people, and costs more in health care, than NOT wearing a seatbelt. Aids is, usually (not always) spread by having SEX!

Ergo... if we're gonna outlaw second hand smoke, and IMPOSE seat belt use..... we should also outlaw having SEX!!! :shock: :lol:

Hey, don't blame ME for these crazy ideas!! I'm SURE I heard it first on Fox News!! :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Everyone babbles about the Patriot laws and the rights they've lost.. they cannot explain these rights that they have lost at all. Mainly because they have not lost any.

And I'm betting that the person who is pretending that there is no hard evidence against second hand smoke causing health problems is a smoker.
A, I don't smoke. AND plz show me the hard evidence.

B, listening in on ppls phone conversations without a warrnt (part of the patriot act) is a big loss of rights.

Problem with a lot of conservatives is they assume so much. which is why these kinds of laws can be put in so easily. You don't think for one minute, you aren't putting security ahead of personal freedoms?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Well, if the person had been wearing their federally mandated crash helmet, perhaps the seatbelt wouldn't have been necessary!! :lol: :wink:
Now, that's funny............ :lol: :lol: :lol: