User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
My computer tells me that if you wanted to go 122 mph in a tractor trailer, you will need in excess of 1,000 hp to do it.

Even if you could get that HP out of an engine, unless your transmission, universals and drive shafts where made out of Titanium, I doubt they would not handle the power.

Now, that being said, I did see the result of 110 mph once.

It was an Aerodynamic Kenworth at the bottom of a 8 mile 8% grade. He topped the hill in 8th, popped it into 8 th over, burned his brakes to the ground, slipped it into Mexican Overdrive to save the engine and then drove past 3 runaway lanes before he could not negotiate a 40 mph corner.

The trailer flipped over the guard rails which flipped the tractor on its side. That is what saved it from going over the same 500 ft cliff that the trailer went over.

After sliding close to 700 ft on its side it came to rest in the middle of the road.

He was from Ohio I think.

He walked away from it, without a scratch.

I don't think he came back.
I know this is a old thread, but he says you need 1000 hp to go 122mph??? This guy has never met 1 of the Cooney Bros out of utah in the early 80's with w900 v8 cat and a set of boxes!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtrk609
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
When i've got mine from the dealer, factory setting was 80mph on cruise, and 85mph top.
When i was servicing it at CAT dealer, i asked them to take out any limits on a top speed, so now it shows 127mph, but i believe it's a top speed for the engine, but would require different gearing for the truck to go that fast. :wink:
no ,it will run that speed,the way the computers are set up they go in and set top speed for the gear,in other words,if you have a 10 spd. they set top speed at 100,actually what they set is max rpm for that gear,the computer is programmed by motor,transmission final drive ratio,rear axle ratio,and tire size. Im pretty sure that the newer systems actually have the ability to set max rpm on all gears,for trucks used in fleet applications to prevent overspeed in the lower gears say in a city operation truck.These new electronic engines dont have actual govenors like a mechanical motor,the computer is the governer,whatever the computer is set to do is waht the truck will do.

The way I was taught in college, was they can be governed different ways. You can speed limit the truck. Regardless of RPM and gear it will go XX mph. That's the most common.

There is one that I refer to as a stairstep governor, that will teach drivers how to drive. Those that like to hit the RPM governor at each shift. For example 0-25 mph will only do 1300rpm, 25- 45 1600 RPM 45-XX Engine governor.

If your truck speed limiter reads 127mph, guess what you can go as fast as you darn well please. 127 is known as no limiter. If it's anything but 127 your limited to that speed.

There are may different parameters to set on these computers it's almost crazy. If you don't like your low idle speed, because your dash rattles, and mirrors bounce until you get a higher engine speed. That also can be changed to whatever you want.

Hope this is a better understanding of how limiters are set.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Board Regular

I had a Truck Goverened at 72MPH and hated Hills. I was traveling through SC and going down Hills I let it roll so I could make it up the next with out dropping to a dangerous slow speed. Just past Spartanburg, Going down a Hill I noticed dust coming out of the Middle of the Interstate but still did not see any car. After I got to the top and back at the speed limit, A SC Trooper pulled along side of me and just looked up at me and then cut infront and got off the Interstate...
Old 06-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
My computer tells me that if you wanted to go 122 mph in a tractor trailer, you will need in excess of 1,000 hp to do it.

Even if you could get that HP out of an engine, unless your transmission, universals and drive shafts where made out of Titanium, I doubt they would not handle the power.

Now, that being said, I did see the result of 110 mph once.

It was an Aerodynamic Kenworth at the bottom of a 8 mile 8% grade. He topped the hill in 8th, popped it into 8 th over, burned his brakes to the ground, slipped it into Mexican Overdrive to save the engine and then drove past 3 runaway lanes before he could not negotiate a 40 mph corner.

The trailer flipped over the guard rails which flipped the tractor on its side. That is what saved it from going over the same 500 ft cliff that the trailer went over.

After sliding close to 700 ft on its side it came to rest in the middle of the road.

He was from Ohio I think.

He walked away from it, without a scratch.

I don't think he came back.
Gotta agree.....sr68 from Kingman to Bullhead City, Az. has a 12 mile 6% with 2 ramps and a stoplight at the bottom after a blind corner. This young driver started down the hill with a tanker of fertilizer and ended up rolling on the corner. He was lucky, no injuries. When the trooper asked him what happened, he said he panicked and missed both ramps, bet he never drives again.

Some states say that anything over 15 on the posted limit in a commercial vehicle is attempted manslaughter. Keep THAT in mind.