Old 10-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

120 kmph....hell, even my Ford 9000 with a 350 cat could do that.
Thats actually 30kph more than the speed limit in Europe....
Get caught doing 120kph over here and you go straight to gaol :shock:

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well, I DO HAVE a "triple-digit" truck. So, now, for the rest of you that tell us all just how fast you can go, I'd like to know how many times you've had to stop because you "THREW THE TREAD" off the trailer tires? Get it up over about 85 or 90 and you find out that the trailer does not have as good quality rubber as what you have on the tractor. As a matter of fact, if I took the governor off my truck (set at 85) I might even throw the tread off MY TIRES, and that would get a bit pricey.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Board Icon

Yeah,I wish that I did have a 379 with a real motor that ran like a scalded ape,but on a serious note Windwalker,I hate re treads. Aughta be a law against em. Shoot,our trucks are governed at 68/69,and we lose treads all the time. Seems like in the summer,its 2 or 3 a month,and that's running at 68.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

His front door was running 125, also how accurate is the radar clocking from behind, going the same direction?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Rookie
Default b/s

why all the b/s accusations,unprofessional,etc. bottom line is anyone who has driven a truck withthe ability to go that fast has gone that fast! as fa
as loosing your liscence,most states say 15 over,Ive been stopped in,ny,ct,and vermont for 15 or more over,only got a ticket in ct,79 in a 65 he actually got me at 82. most troopers wont nail you if your not being stupid about it,heavy traffic,tailgating etc. Yea I know its stupid to go that fast,whatever. Ive been running big hammers for 6 years now thru pa,ct,ma,vt,ny,oh,md,va,I drive for a small co. [10 trucks]the troopers in the areas I run get to know whos who,they see us daily know we arent habitual offenders,as long as we dont go overboard its all good. my logs are always legal,my equipment top notch,I dont fear the dot,or police,I have nothing to hide,If I get a fine or ticket,I must have earned it! I must ad,Ive never gotten a bogus ticket or fine,never really been harrased by any enforcement types. I think its all inthe way you present yourself.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: b/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtrk609
why all the b/s accusations,unprofessional,etc. bottom line is anyone who has driven a truck withthe ability to go that fast has gone that fast!
That's like saying EVERYBODY has tried drugs, or tried alchohol, or tried smoking. Just doesn't hold up. You just can't make blanket statements like that.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
When i've got mine from the dealer, factory setting was 80mph on cruise, and 85mph top.
When i was servicing it at CAT dealer, i asked them to take out any limits on a top speed, so now it shows 127mph, but i believe it's a top speed for the engine, but would require different gearing for the truck to go that fast. :wink:
no ,it will run that speed,the way the computers are set up they go in and set top speed for the gear,in other words,if you have a 10 spd. they set top speed at 100,actually what they set is max rpm for that gear,the computer is programmed by motor,transmission final drive ratio,rear axle ratio,and tire size. Im pretty sure that the newer systems actually have the ability to set max rpm on all gears,for trucks used in fleet applications to prevent overspeed in the lower gears say in a city operation truck.These new electronic engines dont have actual govenors like a mechanical motor,the computer is the governer,whatever the computer is set to do is waht the truck will do.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtrk609
These new electronic engines dont have actual govenors like a mechanical motor,the computer is the governer,whatever the computer is set to do is waht the truck will do.
Are you saying, that trucks with the same motors, will have the same "top speed", regardless of type of tranny, rear end ratio an tire size? :roll:
Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Rookie

I had a '85 Mack Superliner w/500 hp V-8 I got nailed on I-255 for 92 in a 55 I had it put on supervision it never went to the state. I used to have an '88 International eagle it would do 126 mph a friend clocked me on his riceburner, of course I don't know how accurate his speedo was but I'm sure it was close enough. Iknow in that year I got way too many tickets,usually because of someone's b/s on the radio and no one talking about the speedcops.That's truckin' in the fastlane. Speed is a freedom a choice and should not be ruled by governments.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Speed is a freedom a choice and should not be ruled by governments.
You have the freedom to commit any crime, violent or non-violent. Problem is, there are consequences to breaking the law and speeding is breaking the law. You may not like the fact that there are speed limits, but they are there for a reason and you break them (we all do) at your own peril.

Try on this scenario:

You are traveling at the speed limit, your logs are correct, you are doing everything right. Car crosses the center line and you hit them head on, killing a family of four. Nothing you could do and it was obviously their fault. And because you are completely within the law, you'll be fine. No loss of job, no black mark, nothing. It was an unfortunate accident, but an unavoidable accident nevertheless.

Or:

You are traveling 15 MPH over the speed limit, your logs are correct, you are doing everything right except maintaining your speed within the law. Car crosses the center line and you hit them head on, killing a family of four. Nothing you could do and it was obviously their fault. But, because you were speeding, you're job is gone, your driving career is over, you are most likely going to do jail time for vehicular manslaughter, any kind of an income you make for the rest of your life is going to be garnished to pay off the multi-million dollar lawsuit slapped on you and your estate. In essence, your life will never be your own again. Just because you were speeding.

As I said, speed limits are the law, like them or hate them. At least in my book, the potential consequences far outweigh my desire to get somewhere 5 or 10 minutes earlier.