Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmiling
My intent was not to correct your post but rather to give additional information that might be useful. In my case the State Reps office was a stones throw from where my Uncle lived so that is the option we chose.
I know that-just meant the easiest, and most efficient way, was through a Service officer at the VA Hospital.
I HATE dealing with freakin politicians when it comes to Veterans Affairs.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Old 07-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Board Member

I think it's about time to get this topic back on course before it tumbles in to chaos....

AGATA or, GAS PAINS!!!

A few days ago I met up with a guy who, drives for the petro hauler I worked for a few years back. He was not in a very happy mood as he explained that he had to divert the entire load of gas due to a dispatch error.
I asked him why was it such a bother since he got paid for the load plus the diversion. The look he gave me answered the question quite well* (more on this later)

As the mist dissipates, back in the late 90's I had a five load night not to bad until I got to my first stop and found the tanks were full. The store was closed, couldn't ask if a truck had already delivered. I wandered over to the pay-phone, paged the dispatcher on call and told her of my dilemma. After a 20 minute discussion the load was diverted. The five load night was going to be a long one at best.

After loading the second load at Exxon an uneasy feeling overcame me as I pulled out of the terminal. After the 45 minute ride to yet, another, closed store I found to my dismay that the tanks were also full.
"This is getting old!!" I thought to myself as I, once again, paged the dispatcher.
This conversation was a bit more intense when I asked her if there was a possibility that the loads were double dispatched. The "flame" from the expletives was quite bright as the dispatch lady came unglued. The only real understandable words were something like, "I don't make mistakes!"
RIGHT!!!!!!!

As I pulled out of the store on my way to the diverted stop I came to realize that there wasn't a ticket left in the door at either stop but the anger level kept me from saying anything to the very pissed dispatcher.

The second diversion was only a few miles from my third stop so, after making sure the load would fit in the tanks I drove over to stop number three which, was open, I walked in and asked the clerk if a truck had made a delivery yet and was told no.
I walked back to my truck debating whether or, not, to page the dispatcher again when, another truck pulled into the lot. I asked the driver to see his load tickets and, sure enough, he had the exact loads I had.

After he unloaded we both took a ride to the yard to find a very "HUMBLED" dispatcher making all kinds of apologies. The night was already a waste with the exception of the two diversions so, I loaded my fifth load and went on my way leaving the other driver with the number 4 load which, was one, I really didn't want to do anyway!!!

*The driver who, I had talked to in the beginning of this tale told me that the diversions were not being paid out. He also said a lot has changed since the company bought out another tank line and quite a few of the drivers have resigned.....

Old 07-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Board Icon

Moral to this story is that in trucking if you think it's going to be a Great run stand by because something is coming that's gonna bite you in the Butt :P
I know this VERY well :P
Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 AM

Haven't read all of the posts yet but I want to hear some of yooprs stories from going to North West Territories.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:07 AM
Board Icon

Not much of a story but it was some of the greatest trucking I have done-I loved running through Canada back then-80's- and once past the BS of customs and running through Calgary and Edmonton(which at the time was a Pain in the butt because of the Oil Boom and those 2 towns were exploding in population) it was free running to Hay River Area--I hauled some Monsanto(Wild wheat killer I believe) products and I delivered to this French farmer who couldn't speak to much English but he and his wife was Super-He had me back up to this dock at his Barn and then he told his wife to "Draw me a Bath" and after Taking a bath she washed my clothes and then I sat down to dinner with them and slept in their home.
Then on my way back to the US.
Had a lot of fun running up there with Flat bedders from Hunt Transportation(Don't even know if they're still in business) who were hauling Pipe up to the NWT. There was a truck stop around Slave Lake that had the Cutest and Friendliest waitresses around and that was where I got my fondness for Vinegar with my Fries :P
Old 07-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Oh and great stories Doc.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

More will follow as soon as the dust clears....

Picture if you will, a complaining trucker (nothing new), a medical waste incinerator and breakfast at the "J"

Makes one wonder just where does the food come from......