User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
see I told you I'd make a real good co-pilot...
Seriously, I really need you....
So are you packed yet?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Board Regular

Ok. Here's an amusing (looking back on it) factual story. Picked up a set out of San Bernie several months ago. Looked back and noticed smoke coming off rear pup on on driver's side - brake hanging up or something. So I pulled off at Cabazon and let it cool. It looked released to me. Sat there about 1/2 hour. Didn't see any more smoke and figured sure enough, it finally let go. But just to be on the safe side, I pulled into the fuel island at Coachella to check it. When I got back there - "Oh SH....!" The inside drum was on fire - real flames!

I'd never used a fire extinguisher before, but I learned pretty quick that day.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So are you packed yet?
Yeah, I'm always packed...... I'm leaving this to your imagination!

Not to mention she pushed the thread to page 27 not too bad!!

There's still hope for this thread yet...

Old 11-21-2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who

Yup, she had better leave it alone.....imagination - ha!
Quote:

Not to mention she pushed the thread to page 27 not too bad!!
:moose: oh boy...it's on page 27.....and soon it will reach 20,000.....did we ever believe it would go this far, Doc?

Well, I guess I should throw something in here, since it's been a while.... I remember way back when...one summer...had my oldest daughter with me at the time...believe she was around 12/13....we were going across the top of Montana...on Hwy #2 towards Malta....had been running during the night and stop briefly after daylight at a pullover area off the two-lane highway....My daughter was pre-occupied with something and I told her I was going to lay down and take about an hour 'power nap'....to make sure she woke me up so we could head on over to Malta....she said, 'don't worry Dad, I'll get you up'.....Have to admit...she always did...but this time it was a little different awakening....
I felt her shaking me...'dad', 'dad'....'get up quick'.....'you aren't going to believe this'.....I rolled over still in dreamland.....she continued shaking me...'dad'....'dad'...'.the hour is up and we've got company'....Well, the magic word was company...and I sat right up thinking a Highway patrolman or local yokel was outside and wanted something. I poked my head out and there staring me in the face was the head of the biggest 'bull moose' I have ever seen....not more than 2 feet from the driver's window....and I mean this animal was looking me dead in the eye....
I eased slowly into the driver's seat...my daughter was in the jump seat and we sat there for almost 10 minutes 'in awe' at this beautiful, enormous beast standing there looking in the driver's window....I was tempted to roll down the window and offer him some tidbits or snack but sound logic said 'no'....This bull moose turned, walked around the front of the truck...came down the passenger side and wandered off into the trees beside the pull off area...My daughter has never forgotten that experience, in fact, nor have I...for it was the very first encounter with a bull moose for both of us......
:moose:
Old 11-21-2004, 08:25 AM

Hey Doc Its Been Awhile But Here I Am Again.
Well Heres A Little What I Have Been In To.
One Sunday Evening I Got A Call From A Friend, He Needed A Helper To Go With Him To Do In-home Delivery,i Only Had A Few Hours To Decide If I Would Go Or Not. So After An Hour Or So I Called Him Back To Say I Would Go. Well I Found Away To Get In A Truck But Still Didn't Know If I Was Going To Like It. Haven't Ever Been Away From Home More Than A Week And Never More Than About 6 Hours Drive. The First Few Nites Were The Worst Knowing That I Was Stuck Heading For Idaho The Northern Part. Mostly I Couldn't Sleep Cause Of The Strange Noises And Movement At Night.By The 3rd Nite I Had To Sleep Cause I Spent About 30 Hours Awake, After That Sleeping Was A Little Easier. Well It Took 4 Days To Get To Our First StopBy Then I Was Ready To Do Something Cause All I Could Do For The Four Days Was Ride And That's Fine For Awhile But I Have Spent Most Of My Jobs Walking Or Standing So Siting, Laying Around(Or Being Bounced Around) Was Getting Old Quick. Don't Remember Much About The Places We Delivered To But I Remember That Our Trip If Drawn Out Made About 4 Or 5 Circles In The Northwest And Mid West I Know We Went Through Ne 2 Or 3 Times Went In And Out Of Id 2or3 Times. Boring Story Short The Trip Took 18 Days To Make About 34 Or 43 Stops.skipping Ahead A Few Months To July I Was Still Riding With Him Seeing As How I Had No Other Job To Go Back To And Mostly Liked Being On The Road So Much So That I Went And Got My Learners Permit Cdl A So I Could Start Driving Some To Why Let Him Have All The Fun (So I Thought). Done Well On The Test. As Most Of You Know The Test Is 3 Parts On The First Part I Missed 8 Out Of 48 The 2nd Part I Missed 1 Or 2 But Don't Remember How Many Q And The 3rd Part Air Brakes I Aced, So On July 22, 2004 I Got My Cdl A Learners Permit. To Back Up A Little After The First Trip Sleeping In The Truck Seemed Normal But When I Got Home And Got In My On Bed It Was So Still And Quite I Couldn't Sleep All Over Agin.now Back To July. I Had Been On About 2 More Trips When I Got My Cdl A L But It Would Be 1 More Trip Before I Got To Drive Any, That Was The Worst I Have Ever Shifted Gears In Something Since I Was 16. Well Skipping To The Present I Have Got My Cdl License But Monday Nov. 29 2004 I Leave For Charlotte,nc To Attend School At Schneider So By Oh Say Jan. 14 2005 I Will Be A Fully Licensed Truck Driver Otr.
Hope This Isn't To Long But There Is More To Tell Latter. arty:
Old 11-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Good to see you made it back Easy... and thanks for adding another tale to the thread, maybe there'll be a story or two from the Pumpkin School in the Queen City... Ah yes, Charlotte the home of the two idiots John Boy and Billy. Sorry my A.D.D. acted up, anyway keep real good notes and post when you can, I'm quite sure there'll be a handful of humourous stories coming from the Pumpkin truck...

Now on to Magician:
Quote:
oh boy...it's on page 27.....and soon it will reach 20,000.....did we ever believe it would go this far, Doc?
No actually I didn't think this thread would get this far at all... I had figured it would die after page four. If I'm not mistaken this is the only truck site that has a section set aside just for trucker tales.

I did like the :moose: tale I'm sure your daughter had plenty to talk about when she got back to school!!!

Old 11-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
(great big grin, in fact)

Dammit Doc!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Magic Man, what a wonderful story. I wish I'd been there too.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Dammit Doc!

:P :P :P :lol:

Old 11-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Board Regular

(Still with a big grin on my face) That borders on being mean....