User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Heck Doc, at the rate exhibited this week, it'll take til New Year 2005 for this to reach another milestone!
Old 08-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Heck Doc, at the rate exhibited this week, it'll take til New Year 2005 for this to reach another milestone!
Well, I, for one, am not in any big hurry to break another record. This thread will get there on its own. As I had once told another driver, when I thought I had seen it all something else comes along and makes me say "Damn, now there's something I have never seen before or have experienced!" Yes this does include the dump wagon test...

Picture if you will, young guy, International day cab, and an attitude from Hell getting a come uppence from a motor grader driver and an old man!
Made for a great morning, not to mention a very humbled driver in the afternoon. It really makes me wonder if I had done something wrong when I had started driving way back when or did my parents really try to raise me right!!!

Yes, the Fun with RVs is coming and so is the Mustang ladies but for now it is sleep, oh precious sleep. I have a defensive driving seminar in the AM. Should be fun, I haven't heckled a Safety Person in quite some time!!!

Almost forgot this:

Quote:
....While on the subject of drivers.....one of the Redman's drivers, driving a Pete (wannabee T-2000) was coming up the hammerlane as I entered the freeway....As soon as he cleared, I gave him the come over.....however, no 'thank you' or any other acknowledgement was forthcoming. I caught him with him shortly and passed him.....no come over signal, nothing....that must surely be one of those 'real professionals' he spoke of...
Why does this shock you so??? As much as it pains me to say we're from that other generation, even if you do have a few years on me!!!

I believe most of the drivers plying the nations highways are professionals in their own right, sure paid enough money for the privilege!! The above incident happens more than it should because no one has/had taken the time to teach the new drivers all the unique trade secrets of the highway!!!!

Old 08-28-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Why does this shock you so??? As much as it pains me to say we're from that other generation, even if you do have a few years on me!!!

It's not so much that it shocks me, as it p*sses me off.

Quote:
The above incident happens more than it should because no one has/had taken the time to teach the new drivers all the unique trade secrets of the highway!!!!

I sort of disagree in that regard. I think they have been taught this particular 'secret'/'trick' of the trade but are either too lazy to apply it, or just 'don't give a damn'. I can't imagine any student on the highway and being an observant individual, seeing another driver give the 'come back over' or 'thank you'....and not asking 'why did they do that'? So my opinion is they definitely know about it, but as said previously, are either too lazy or just don't give a damn....and I lean towards the latter.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Another reason this is happening is because the schools are pushing "you don't signal anyone for anything because of the liabilities if your signal results in an accident". Many students are taking that to heart.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Another reason this is happening is because the schools are pushing "you don't signal anyone for anything because of the liabilities if your signal results in an accident". Many students are taking that to heart.
Yes this is true with the LAWSUIT HAPPY society that has come about!!
Easier to sue for monetary gain then it is to actually work for it!! :roll:

All that aside it is still a common courtesy that should be bestowed upon fellow drivers especially in certain circumstances. Although I will lean away from Magician on part of the topic, some of the "older" drivers have gotten lazy also....

Quote:
I would think that almost all of CAD's moderators have stories of an amusing nature?
What makes you say that???? Only one Moderator drives, or makes a very feeble attempt at same!!!!

It's time to get this thread back on track!!!

Old 08-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Finally a woefully fragmented version of Fun With RVs!!!

As must drivers know, people, who drive, RVs and/or tow campers are a nuisance if not out and out dangerous however there is a lighter side to these terrors of the highways:

Teach your children well?

Many years back cruising along I-40 I heard a bunch of excited chatter on the CB, really didn?t pay much attention to it because, most times, a driver had seen a woman flash a little leg and it turned him on. Well, I was wrong, one driver behind me called me on the radio? ?Hey KAM, check out the motor home coming up along side of you!!!?
I looked in the mirror and saw an UGLY Winnebago coming up in the left lane. This was one of those aerodynamically built like a brick type Winnebago, nothing too spectacular. As the RV came along side all I saw was two folks who, for all the world, looked like Ma and Pa Kettle and I thought this was what all the excitement was about?
That was until the RV whipped back in front of me and I saw a young lady, about 15 maybe 16 years old flashing all who were behind the RV.
This definitely shocked me and wondered if the parents had any clue as to what was going on? She really had not much to show a card carrying member of the IBTC at best!!

I asked the driver behind me if that was what all the excitement was about and the guy responded as if I had burst his bubble? ?Well, yeah it was!!!?
All I could say was ?Yes, a real Pedophile?s dream!!!? Then turned off the CB and proceeded down the highway!!!

A rainy night in Georgia?

I pulled into a rest area on I-20 in Georgia and parked next to a very large RV I didn?t pay it much mind as I slipped into the sleeper to grab a few hours rest. The one thing I did notice was the weather was turning nasty and it wasn?t long before the rumble of thunder and the light show began. ?Great!!!? I thought ?I can relax to Mother Natures sound effects!!!?
I?m not sure exactly how long I was asleep but I was rudely awakened by pounding and yelling, I also heard the rain still falling on the roof of the Freightliner. I got up and sat in the drivers seat and saw a woman at the RV next to me pounding on the door and yelling obscenities she was wearing, what I thought, was a negligee and the see through kind at that. I wasn?t close to being wrong; I rolled down the window and asked this extremely wet lady what was wrong. She told me she took the dog out for a potty break and when the dog ran back in the RV some how the door closed and locked and her husband was a very sound sleeper. I told her she could get into the truck and dry off a little, I did realize I was asking for trouble but I couldn?t really ignore this piece of entertainment. I soon discovered that the night gown was definitely one that a woman should not wear in a rain storm. I gave the wet lady a couple of towels while I went and RUDELY awoke her husband.
After she was let back into the RV I left the rest area the last thing I needed was to deal with a very pissed off husband?

I think you lost something?

Back in the last century I was running east bound on I-10 just after sunrise on a Sunday morning when I noticed a Mazda or Mitsubishi sitting up on a guardrail as if some one had placed it there. I scratched my head and started wondering how that had happened. About 10 miles down the road I soon discovered the answer to all the questions I had. My attention was directed towards a very distraught RVer jumping up and down and waving a flag. I pulled in front of his vehicle and walked back to help. The man was pointing to a tow bar and I asked him what the problem was. He said, quite angry, the car he was towing was stolen. I looked at the bar and noticed the bolts were missing and I pointed that fact out to him, he said his wife had tightened everything down. I asked him if he was really sure about that as I described the vehicle sitting up on the guardrail 10 miles back. The guys face turned ashen as he sheepishly admitted that it was his car.
I told him he should go back and reclaim his prize before the Highway Patrol claimed it for him!!!

These are the only pieces I could rescue from the mess!!

Old 08-28-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
What makes you say that???? Only one Moderator drives, or makes a very feeble attempt at same!!!!

Well now, that is mind bogling - one of the top truckers' sites on the internet and only one moderator is a driver! I see nine listed and of course two are the powers that be...and one a recruiter....and of course. the good DoctorWho.....if the other five aren't drivers, how in the world can they comment on/deal with trucker's issues, new companies, HOS, maintenance, etc. Yea, I know, I can feel the noose tightening but what the hell? Seems to me, and I know my memory may be slipping in my ripe ole age...but wasn't 'heavenbound' finishing school and about to drive way back when?
I better leave well enough alone and get the thread back on track - but it still blows the mind that only one moderator drives! Thank God for that anyway.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:34 PM

I've got to relate this one - it's only the second time I've seen a Swift truck being a 'front door'....several months ago heading west on I-40 in eastern Oklahoma....I came upon what looked to be a convoy of trucks. I had the CB turned off at the time, so I reached up and turned it on....seems this Swift driver (a middle age lady) was driving topless....Yes, topless....and naturally everyone would hammerdown to catch up with her, pass her and then back out of it and allow her to pass them. This, apparently had been going on for several miles and of course, I naturally had to see what was what....When everyone made the pass again, I fell into line and proceeded to pass....sure enough there was this Swift driver sitting comfortably behind the wheel, driving topless (no comment on condition of unmentionables)......Everyone started to back out of it again and allow her to pass them, but I had miles to cover and proceeded...besides, one look was enough!

The only other time I witnessed a Swift truck running the front door was in a construction site in Arizona....I happened to fall in behind a Swift and he was barely doing the speed limit for the construction zone. I grabbed the mike and asked him to grab his computer and asked his company to turn the truck up a couple of miles faster (jokingly)....and he quipped back....'heck no, I can go home tonight and tell the old lady I ran the front door for a bunch of large cars'......
Old 08-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
but it still blows the mind that only one moderator drives! Thank God for that anyway.
I was in error there is another Mod who drives but you don't see him on the board much!

Back to typing........

Old 08-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Modern day story based upon an old fable!!!

Just remember attitude is everything!!

The young driver, bad attitude, day cab International??

A couple of days ago in the Red Clay Hell in Sanford NC, the powers that be, in their finite wisdom had all the loaded dump wagons exit out of the pit up a rather steep and slick grade. The multi axle straight dumps had problems but the tractor trailer dump wagons had major problems trying to exit the pit.
On my return trip for the 5th load I was stopped by the motor grader driver and he asked me if I could help the driver stuck on the hill. At first I told him I didn?t want the responsibility if something was to break. The grader driver insisted by saying that no one was going to get out with the truck stuck in that position. The supervisor came to me and asked if I would and he would take all responsibility. I half heartedly agreed and walked over to the International. The kid that was driving automatically copped a huge attitude, which was not surprising because he was a prick to deal with most of the week. The supervisor told him in no uncertain terms he would be thrown off the job if he did not cooperate. Nothing like hitting him where it hurts in the pay check!!!

I climbed in the day cab and the kid asked me how long have I been a driver and I told him longer than he had been on the planet. He really took offense to that and said he was 26 and I reiterated my statement I have been driving longer than he has been on the planet!!!
Then I told him to listen and observe how the truck will make it up the slick hill. I backed the entire rig over the narrow bridge to get a good run at the hill plus, this truck had the right type of transmission to accomplish the task, too bad the ?expert? didn?t know how to use it.
I put the Trans in 2nd locked the power divider in and stood on the fuel grabbing two more gears as we approached the narrow bridge. The kid grabbed hold of the dash as the truck lifted itself over the hill; I watched the right mirror and watched the smoke just pour out as the truck rolled to the access road. I stopped the truck got out and told the kid to have a fun day.

The grader driver came up to me and told me that he had never seen anyone run the hill like that. I just smiled and told him that it was nothing; it was just like mud bog racing!!!
For what it?s worth the kid?s attitude changed dramatically but I can?t understand why!!!!

All in a days work!!!