User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Teach your children well, part deux!!!

Many years back, when my children were younger it was extremely difficult to leave out on an extended road trip. In a conversation I had with a J.B. Hunt recruiter, yes a JB recruiter, he suggested I get a map of the US, hang it on a wall and when I called home have the kids put a pin in the state and city I was calling from he said it was a great way to keep close to the kids plus, they were learning geography and possibly history and not even know it!

Well, I took the recruiter up on his suggestion and it worked real well, I?d call home and tell the girls where I was at and a little bit of history about the state and city, if I was near a major city. I also picked up state trivia from the welcome centers.

Flash forward a few years; I came home off a road trip and my wife handed me a letter from the oldest child?s teacher stating that she had cheated on a geography and history test. I asked the wife why didn?t she handle it and she said it would mean more if I confronted the educator. I did have a few days off so I arranged for a meeting with the teacher, the principal, and my daughter.
First question I asked the teacher why was she so sure my daughter cheated and her response; not one child in the class could get all the state capitals correct nor, did they identify the state of Rhode Island correctly except my daughter. I then explained to the teacher what I had done over the years leading up to this incident and then explained that I excelled in geography and history in school, so why should my daughter be any different!
A long eerie pause engulfed the room as the principal and teacher both searched for a reasonable come back. I continued by asking the teacher about the history test in question and was immediately told that the test was fine and the grade will be applied forth with.

I thanked them for their time and as I walked out of the room I left this parting shot.
?Just think there are two more coming up behind her and yes they too have been taught the same way!!!? and I bid them a fine afternoon.

OH WOW.... PAGE 21

Old 08-30-2004, 08:57 PM

12,700 and 21 pages

We just may see 13,000 by Labor Day weekend, Doc.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:19 PM

We also have done the same thing with our kids with a map of the U.S. We also bought our kids a motor carriers road atlas so that they can take a pencil to track where there Dad is at and this also helps them read a map too.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
We just may see 13,000 by Labor Day weekend, Doc.
Yeah it just might but it'll be all for naught if Hurricane Frances attacks as planned... The NWS has just commented that Eastern NC does not fair well with Hurricanes that start with "F" ie: Fran and Floyd and God knows we took a beating with those two storms!!!

Old 08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Ah the Mustang and the ill fitting bikini top!!!

About a week or so ago the company I?m driving for sent 5 trucks to the Outer Banks of NC to haul sand for a new highway project. The ride from the pit to the site was insanely boring at best and wasn?t any better on the way back with the exception of one trip.
On this particular return trip there were four dump wagons all headed back to the pit when the first had passed a red ragtop Mustang going eastbound. I?m guessing the slip stream from the first truck disturbed the air around the car as the bikini top on the young lady driving blew up as I got to the car, I looked down and was shocked and almost turned the truck over! I quickly regained my composure but not so the drivers behind me as I could see tire smoke in my mirrors.
I?m quite sure the young lady realized what was going on as she made no attempt to pull over and readjust the ?wardrobe malfunction?
Ah yes, the entertainment of beach traffic is just great at certain times of the week!!!!

Old 08-31-2004, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Yeah it just might but it'll be all for naught if Hurricane Frances attacks as planned... !!!
And pray tell, just why would that be, Doc? I can't visualize the waters rising to flood out CAD hdqtrs in KY....although...never mind. Yea, we'll make 13,000!

And now for more.........speaking of kids....I used postcards to keep mine informed as to dad's location....then, when they were old enough to take a couple of trips....summertime...I would take one of them at a time (with two daughters, I learned early - both at one time is a definite 'no-no'....and as it turned out, by the time they both graduated from high school, they had been in every state in the continental U.S. They could name each/every state and it's capital - something the majority of kids today cannot do!

After each trip in the summer months, they would then return to school and entertain their classmates of tales of where they had been, what they had seen....places, things which the vast majority of kids never see, just read about. Traveling with dad was a vital part of their education....And since we stayed out longer in those days, it also was 'quality' time for me to spend with them. To see the country first hand is far better than seeing/reading about it in a textbook.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
To see the country first hand is far better than seeing/reading about it in a textbook.
Now this I can concur with without reservation!!!

Old 09-01-2004, 03:15 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

You know, I hate to rain on your parade, guys, especially since the stories are great. But the KBR is the current view leader:

http://classadrivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2288

It only has about 70 or 80 posts, but has nearly 29,000 views. That's a pretty substancial lead. You'll have to do a lot of clicking to overcome that lead anytime soon.

But definitely keep the stories coming. Regardless of the number of views, they're definitely entertaining.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
You know, I hate to rain on your parade, guys, especially since the stories are great. But the KBR is the current view leader:
Quote:
It only has about 70 or 80 posts, but has nearly 29,000 views. That's a pretty substancial lead. You'll have to do a lot of clicking to overcome that lead anytime soon.
Was there a reason why you, oh Flyer person, posted this piece of trivia????

I know the KBR thread has 6 pages and the count I'm really beginning to question but it's not impossible to have that many views!!!

So again oh Mouse With Wings, was there a point to this???

I'm kind of behind in my story detail and I have been rather busy, I can't do it all by myself but if Magician gets upset then the thread will probably die. I find it rather odd that other drivers(?) don't have tales to tell that will fit in with this topic!
Plus, I'm quite sure a recruiter or two can come up with a horror/comedy about potential recruits...

Be on the look out for "Graffiti and the Governor"
No it's not a lame Sit-Com!!!

Old 09-02-2004, 04:43 AM

A few months back we had a three dropper headed for Lousville, Kentucky. On the way we stopped at this whole in the wall truckstop for the night. We went in to get some dinner. I had realized that I had forgotten my id and went back out to the truck to get it. I get to the truck and this man comes around the corner of our trailer. I look up at the driver next to me who had his window down. I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. The driver next to me said "I see him back there your ok I will watch him" I had a good feeling about the driver so I got into the truck grabbed my id locked the truck and as I was getting ready to step off the truck the driver next to me said for me to stay put. He gets out of his truck walks in front of our truck and tell this guy you best leave. The driver watched for me to get back into the resteraunt. A few minutes later he came in with his wife. I thanked the driver for watching out for me. His reply to me was we should all watch out for each other. I have heard that same thing growing up and have always remembered that piece of advice. I may be 33 years young but I have gotten some real good advice through the years from my Dad and Uncles that I will be passing onto my kids as they get older.