Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
From what I been reading on here, it my understanding as long as you got hours coming back on you can still drive up to the max number of hours you have coming back on each day. Same as before they changed the rules.
yes coastie you are correct! you could actually log 8.75 hours everyday and drive everyday forever and never take a 34 restart. you will always "pick up" 8.75 hours the next day.
Except in Canada where you need to take a day off every 14 days.
I would not be running in Canada and if I did just to make a delievery and back out. But currently I am not driving, nor working. Been medical retired now since 2000. Yet I am thinking of coming back on the Road once I return to the States.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Quote:
From what I been reading on here, it my understanding as long as you got hours coming back on you can still drive up to the max number of hours you have coming back on each day. Same as before they changed the rules.
Yes. If you gain hours @ midnight you have them hours to drive. You do not have to take a 34 hour restart. IF you might get loaded to Canada you might start taking 36 hour breaks instead of 34.

Have a great night
Dawn, do you just make statements up as you go ??? It would explain your vast lack of knowledge.

Your knowledge of H.O.S. Regulations is on the same level as my knowledge of how to perform cardiovascular surgery. :roll:
HELLO! Are you and Rev related or the same? He said If I have hours coming to me then I can run, I don't have to take a 34 hour restart. Yes HE CAN RUN that truck if he has hours available. The same as the old rules was. There is no argument here, I simply answered him. Are you 2 jealous or what? Come on these people that are asking serious questions do not need some people here bickering, they come here for answers. My answer was fine since he does seem to have a clue.

Are you and Rev stating the drivers do not run off the hours they have available? Are you saying you have to take a 34 hour break if you are running low on hours?

Because if I have 8 hours on the 1st of my last 7th day. I will gain 7 hours @ midnight and I can run 7 hours tomorrow!

I do not have to take a 34 hour break!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the Compliment... In reality, I do not with the new Hours of service. I had not driven since they came to place. BUt Driving is always on my mind, I do like to get back out there again. Being retired at age of 44 is the Pits.. SSDI Does not cut it coming to paying the bills and having a life.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Board Icon
Default 34 hour restart

Dawn said:

Quote:
Hey why don't we get about 20 drivers to ask DOT if I log in 34 hours in the sleeper what would you say to me?
Rev said:

Quote:
How about a more REALISTIC question, such as:

How many of you drivers log all your 34 hour reset on the sleeper berth line, and have never had DOT say a darn thing about it? How many have had DOT question it?
Personally.... I would be MORE interested in the answers given by the 20 DOT officers than I would the "experiences" of the drivers who have never been questioned, however.....

BEFORE I was enlightened as to the guidance concerning logging a restart in a way that reflected your activities, I used to log all 34 straight in the sleeper. That was how I was shown to do it.

During my first, and only, roadside credentials inspection, the DOT officer noticed the way I logged my "restart," and asked me point blank, "Do you ALWAYS spend (or log) your entire restart in the sleeper?"

Being a rookie, I said, "Well... yeah.... um.... that's the way I was told to do it."

He didn't ticket me for it, NOR mention it on the inspection report. However.... I got the point of his question. I'm pretty sure HE didn't "believe" I spent the whole time in the sleeper!

The Rev mentioned that he had logged the same in the same way several times. However... he didn't mention whether those logsheets were inspected by a DOT officer.

I find nothing wrong with the information and advice that Dawn has given concerning this topic. She acurately quoted the "guidance" that says it should be logged in a way that reflects your actions. Now.... I'm not going to log line 1 EVERY time I get out of the truck! If I spend 34 hours at a truckstop, I will log the majority of daylight hours on line 1, and AT LEAST 8 hours during the night on line 2 using CONSECUTIVE time blocks.

This bickering is getting OLD.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:34 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
More precisely, you add those hours to any you STILL have remaining, and you can DRIVE up to that combined total as long as it is not over 11 hours for the day.

[If at the end of the day, you have 4 hours remaining on your 70, and you get a total of 13 hours "worked" back at midnight. You now have 17 hours on your 70, but can only drive 11 of them. I'm SURE you knew that.]

Old 03-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I've never been questioned by the DOT as to whether I actually spent the entire 34hrs sitting in the sleeper. They know we're going to get out of the truck, walk into the truckstop for meals/shower/restroom.

Yet, "I" have. That makes at least one in each column. I didn't receive any violation, and I doubt you would either. But, you never know when you're gonna get that "stickler" who finds a way to apply the "guidance" and might cite you for something.

I've also logged a 34hr restart as off-duty, even though I was in the sleeper. Again, never had it become an issue.

I was told that, in this case, it would be WISE to have a motel receipt. It has been well documented that, IF you end up in an accident that kills someone, (and I'm not a doomsayer type!) YOU will not be able to prove that you got ANY sleep, and a good lawyer may have you paying for the rest of your life.

One last thing - For the life of me I still can't figure out how they came up with the 34hr restart. Why not 36, 40, or 48? It'd make more sense if it was in a 4hr increment.

The new HOS are designed to "move" every driver (solo) towards a circadian rhythm of working the same hours and sleeping the same hours every day. (Not practical.... but it is their desire.)

Assuming you start each day at 0800 hrs, and due to PTI's, fuel stops, lunch breaks, and rest stops, you actually complete your 11th hour of driving (or finish unloading) at the 14th hour of the day (10 p.m.) and then shut down for the required 10 hours..... you will start your day again at 0800 hours.

To give you a "weekend" break (of sorts,) they add this LAST 10 hour shutdown (recuperative sleep) to a FULL 24 hour day off, so that once again.... you will be restarting your next "week" at 0800 hours.

If they made it a 36 hour restart, theoretically every 4 weeks you would be starting your day at 2 p.m. and driving/working into the wee hours of the night. This throws off your circadian rhythm.

They actually DID study, and received requests and reports on such things as 48 hour restarts (and many other figures.) Obviously.... a 48 hour restart would have you starting your next week at 10 p.m. and "working/driving" NIGHTS!

There you have it.... the explanation of WHY they settled on a 34 hour restart! :lol: And this is NOT my opinion. It is paraphrased directly from the final rulings section of the HOS regs, and the Administrator's letter concerning the NEW rule changes.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: 34 hour restart

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Personally.... I would be MORE interested in the answers given by the 20 DOT officers than I would the "experiences" of the drivers who have never been questioned, however.....
Unfortunately, what many DOT officers "say" and what they "do" are two completely different things. The same applies to drivers.

Quote:
BEFORE I was enlightened as to the guidance concerning logging a restart in a way that reflected your activities, I used to log all 34 straight in the sleeper. That was how I was shown to do it.

During my first, and only, roadside credentials inspection, the DOT officer noticed the way I logged my "restart," and asked me point blank, "Do you ALWAYS spend (or log) your entire restart in the sleeper?"

Being a rookie, I said, "Well... yeah.... um.... that's the way I was told to do it."

He didn't ticket me for it, NOR mention it on the inspection report. However.... I got the point of his question. I'm pretty sure HE didn't "believe" I spent the whole time in the sleeper!
The reason he didn't hand you a ticket is because he had no way to prove that you didn't spend the entire 34 in the sleeper. You did, however, get his point, which was to log it as you do it, which is what I advocated from the beginning. What Dawn doesn't take into account is that it is absolutely possible to spend 34 straight hours in the sleeper, in which case, it needs to be logged as such. Running out to take a 5 minute bathroom break doesn't require a duty status change from line 2 to line 1. I wonder how DOT would react to seeing "peeing" on the comment line if you flagged it, though. :lol:

Quote:
The Rev mentioned that he had logged the same in the same way several times. However... he didn't mention whether those logsheets were inspected by a DOT officer.
Yes.

Quote:
I find nothing wrong with the information and advice that Dawn has given concerning this topic. She acurately quoted the "guidance" that says it should be logged in a way that reflects your actions. Now.... I'm not going to log line 1 EVERY time I get out of the truck! If I spend 34 hours at a truckstop, I will log the majority of daylight hours on line 1, and AT LEAST 8 hours during the night on line 2 using CONSECUTIVE time blocks.
Look at what she said again, and my reply to it, and perhaps you will understand. Absolute answers, such as the one she gave, don't fit every situation, and therefore are wrong. I doubt I am the only CDL holder who is capable of spending 34 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth without getting out of the truck.

Quote:
Then stop clicking on the threads. :roll:

Quote:
I was told that, in this case, it would be WISE to have a motel receipt. It has been well documented that, IF you end up in an accident that kills someone, (and I'm not a doomsayer type!) YOU will not be able to prove that you got ANY sleep, and a good lawyer may have you paying for the rest of your life.
Please explain, golfhobo, how a motel receipt proves you obtained sleep. I've found it more difficult to get sleep in a hotel room than my truck (you know, the crappy mattresses and the cable TV and all). A motel receipt provides no more proof than a log book page.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Unfortunately, what many DOT officers "say" and what they "do" are two completely different things. The same applies to drivers.

Quote:

The reason he didn't hand you a ticket is because he had no way to prove that you didn't spend the entire 34 in the sleeper. You did, however, get his point, which was to log it as you do it, which is what I advocated from the beginning. What Dawn doesn't take into account is that it is absolutely possible to spend 34 straight hours in the sleeper, in which case, it needs to be logged as such. Running out to take a 5 minute bathroom break doesn't require a duty status change from line 2 to line 1. I wonder how DOT would react to seeing "peeing" on the comment line if you flagged it, though. :lol:

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Look at what she said again, and my reply to it, and perhaps you will understand. Absolute answers, such as the one she gave, don't fit every situation, and therefore are wrong. I doubt I am the only CDL holder who is capable of spending 34 consecutive hours in the sleeper berth without getting out of the truck.

Quote:
Then stop clicking on the threads. :roll:

Quote:
Please explain, golfhobo, how a motel receipt proves you obtained sleep. I've found it more difficult to get sleep in a hotel room than my truck (you know, the crappy mattresses and the cable TV and all). A motel receipt provides no more proof than a log book page.

Several times when I was driving I would take my 34 hour reset at someone's house. Needless to say no receipt.

I'd have to go back and look at my logs to be sure but I think I always showed my resets as off-duty. I can't recall ever showing sleeper as part of a reset. I might have but I doubt it.

Just because a D.O.T. inspector doesn't believe your entry doesn't mean he/she can write a ticket that will hold up in court. He/she has to be able to prove the entry is false.

There is nothing that requires you to have any time shown while you are off duty for sleep. As just one of many examples. I could show I am off duty during my 34 hour reset and spend the full time gambling is Las Vegas. Get back in my truck after 34 hours and start driving (after the required pre-trip) and be fully legal. Maybe not wise but legal.

kc0iv
Old 03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Several times when I was driving I would take my 34 hour reset at someone's house. Needless to say no receipt.
Exactly. And there's nothing in the regs that says you cannot do it.

Quote:
Just because a D.O.T. inspector doesn't believe your entry doesn't mean he/she can write a ticket that will hold up in court. He/she has to be able to prove the entry is false.
This is absolutely true. The burden of proof falls upon the DOT officer and the the prosecuter. I'm not saying that you SHOULD falsify your logs, but there is NOTHING in the DOT regs that says you cannot show a full 34 hour reset in the sleeper berth, if that is what you did. DOT can question you all you want, but the burden of proof is on them to show that you didn't do it as you logged it.

Quote:
There is nothing that requires you to have any time shown while you are off duty for sleep. As just one of many examples. I could show I am off duty during my 34 hour reset and spend the full time gambling is Las Vegas. Get back in my truck after 34 hours and start driving (after the required pre-trip) and be fully legal.
Again - absolutely correct. The DOT regs specifically state that a 34 hour reset can be any combination of line 1 and line 2. The same holds true for a 10 hour break.

Quote:
Maybe not wise but legal.
True again.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Gee, I'm in the wrong business; maybe I could be a log manager, I really don't know much, but if its ok w/you guyz, can I offer advice too? :P :lol:
Old 03-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
Gee, I'm in the wrong business; maybe I could be a log manager, I really don't know much, but if its ok w/you guyz, can I offer advice too? :P :lol:
Sure - as long as I can be as brutal as I am with Dawn's "information". :lol: