User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Nervous

Hello!

I am in need of some advice and words of wisdom. I am starting trucking school on Tuesday and expect to be working by Thanksgiving or the first of December at the latest. This a big career change for me. My career background has been mainly in the corporate world(I have a degree in human resources along with holding a series 7, series 63, property and casualty insurance license, and a life accident and health insurance license) but when I lost my job back in April, I decided I wanted to do something for me. I tried working with Aflac for a couple of months but had to give it up due to the fact that it was 100% commission and there was nothing coming in. I hit on the idea of truck driving through a friend and went on several runs with him (including going over the road) to see what it would be like.

As I said before, I start school on Tuesday. To say I am not nervous would be a lie. I'm trying not to look at the big picture because it frightens me. But I do have questions about being a female and being in this industry. By biggest concern is exactly how safe is it for a woman to drive alone? I know the cab is your home on wheels and it's not being in the cab alone that scares me. It's the idea of being at a truck stop for the night and having to get up and go to the bathroom but possibly being park so far away. I have traveled alone many times but it's been in my car and I wasn't required by the DOT to stop at after a certain period of time. I'm not sure that I want to team with someone as I like being able to do my own thing.

Like I said, words of wisdom and encouragement and advice are more than welcome.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Board Regular

Well, you go to school, you pass and get your CDL... And then you head to your first employer, more than likely it will be a driver mill like Swift, as outfits like that are about the only ones hiring, where you will team with someone for a few months.

Then, if you make it through that scene, then you get your own truck or stay teaming. And from your time line, that looks like it will be in late spring before you are sprung to go solo.

As far as safety, from the one gal I had working for me it was kinda tough at times for her. Allot of verbal harassment when she pulled into the truck stops via the CB. She was not bad looking and attracted that kind of attention. Depending on the area, she sometimes never got out of the truck. She carried her own food, as I had fridges, microwaves and Tri-Pak auxiliary power units on all of my trucks. For potty breaks, she started with a coffee can and zip-lock bags until she made it into a sporting goods store and bought a camping toilet.

When you make it through school and get with your company, you will be teamed with someone who will hopefully tell you the skinny out here and keep you out of harms way. I won't kid you, this is not a good time to get into this racket, allot of drivers and just general public out of work. I remember when it was nothing for a driver to be shot on a fuel island, and sadly I see those days coming back. I wish I had something better to tell you, but that is what I was seeing out here in "some" areas before I sold my equipment and got out of this racket.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7680 View Post
Hello!

I am in need of some advice and words of wisdom. I am starting trucking school on Tuesday and expect to be working by Thanksgiving or the first of December at the latest. This a big career change for me. My career background has been mainly in the corporate world(I have a degree in human resources along with holding a series 7, series 63, property and casualty insurance license, and a life accident and health insurance license) but when I lost my job back in April, I decided I wanted to do something for me. I tried working with Aflac for a couple of months but had to give it up due to the fact that it was 100% commission and there was nothing coming in. I hit on the idea of truck driving through a friend and went on several runs with him (including going over the road) to see what it would be like.

As I said before, I start school on Tuesday. To say I am not nervous would be a lie. I'm trying not to look at the big picture because it frightens me. But I do have questions about being a female and being in this industry. By biggest concern is exactly how safe is it for a woman to drive alone? I know the cab is your home on wheels and it's not being in the cab alone that scares me. It's the idea of being at a truck stop for the night and having to get up and go to the bathroom but possibly being park so far away. I have traveled alone many times but it's been in my car and I wasn't required by the DOT to stop at after a certain period of time. I'm not sure that I want to team with someone as I like being able to do my own thing.

Like I said, words of wisdom and encouragement and advice are more than welcome.
It is just as safe out here for a woman as it is for a man. In general, a woman is going to be offered much more help than a man is, when it comes to sliding axles and fifth wheels, load adjusting, and most everything in between. LadyNorthStar, Shykatt, Wildkat, Jewels, Dobry4U, Sabine, and the others, are all in a better position to advise you on most things, as far as being a "Woman"-driver in this industry.

You can not foretell what the "Crazies" are going to do. So you have to figure that they could get you at home just as easily as on the road.

I seldom see any woman, let alone a fellow driver, being harrassed in truck stops. If some Bozo is on the CB...the easiest cure for him is to turn it off.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Rookie

Orange, thank you for the the morale boost. I appreciate it.

Justtruckin': I know there may be some truth to your words but I need encouragement; not to be scared off. I appreciate the run down on how I will probably be teamed up with someone before going solo However, I don't need to know about the possibility of getting shot while fueling up.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Board Member

As you say: "This (will be) a big career change for me." It will be! If you're serious about this (and it certainly appears that you are) don't think twice about changing your mind until you've 9-12 months down the road. By then you will have figured out what you like and don't like about being an OTR driver (of course some of us veterans are still trying to figure that out...grin).

Prepare yourself as best as you can to 1) think of yourself on a perpetual camping trip--while the scenery will be great, living in a "box" will get challenging at times. 2) handle being alone a lot (especially when you're solo)--keep you mind occupied (radio, books-on-tape, reading, praying, etc.). 3) deal with a few complete imbeciles at various shippers/receivers/truckstops/your company--be polite, patient, and professional even when you feel like going "postal" at the offending individual.

I'm sure others will continue to offer advice. Listen/learn from all of it.

I too went from the corporate world to driving a truck (I had done it many years before so it wasn't as big of a change as it will be for you). I was national for 6-months, then regional for 1-year, and then local for the past 4+ years (As much as I enjoyed being on the open road, my family and I suffered from me not being home every night).

So, have a blast at trucking school and may you get a great team driver(s) as you begin your driving career.

Keep us all posted....
Old 10-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Board Regular

Wow, I made it to being a "role model", thank you orange:thumbsup:

In all seriousness. Go in there, be open to learning what they are trying to teach you, no matter how stupid or insignificant it may seem to you at the time. There is a reason for most of it.

When I went through school, about 9 years ago, my lovely fellow students (who were all men btw) had a bet going about me not passing, I was the only woman in a class of about 25. Not only did I pass, I am still driving today.

Bring a thick skin with you. There are still jerks out there like the ones I went to school with. Hopefully you won't see any of that, just be prepared. Remember, you can do this job as well as the next guy, and who care what they think anyhow.

It was a total culture shock for me too. I had NO clue what I was getting into. But I love a challenge. It is not as hard as you may think, it will take time to master a lot of it. The school prepares you to get your license, you don't really learn to drive until you get out there with your trainer. I don't mean to say that you won't know a thing, but it's different to drive around while training versus living it. You will learn more in the month or so with a trainer than the month of school you are going through.

Take each day as it comes, smile, and most of all have fun with it.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Board Regular

Back to some of your concerns. Trucking is as safe as you make it. There are places I will not park at, because they make the hairs in the back of my neck stand up. No reason, just my gut telling me. Listen to yours.

You will learn where to park, where to stop after a while. I went into NYC for a couple of years weekly. Half the grown men on this board cry and run away when you mention NY. It wasn't bad. I felt safer there, than most places in the SE or especially in Detroit. Again, you will learn as you go.

Use common sense, listen to your inner voice and you will be fine.

Get a porta pot. Best investment you can make. I don't get up at 3 am and walk into the truck stop. I'm not crazy!

As far as the teaming thing. Make sure you pick your company wisely. Some will make you team. Like CRST and CR England.

You will be in the truck with a trainer, you won't have a choice on that, but if you want to be in your own truck, do your research so you are not stuck with the codriver from hell while you work out your commitment.

I wish you good luck. Remember to hold your head high, back straight and I swear you will be fine.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Board Regular

After a little over 2.5 yrs of doing this "dance", I can tell you the change will be shocking! But, you know, you'll discover a renewed strength of conviction and a sense of mastery from learning to maneuver something this huge that it'll all be worth it, after a while!

You'll discover that YOU have to be willing to stand firm--and accept whatever comes--on your own decisions, in this industry. But, heck, if you've worked in HR, you're already ready for that part! Let me assure you, many of the personal interaction skills you already have will become hugely valuable, now. But they'll definitely be added to!

As the other posters mention, common sense goes a long way, out here---and those sticky-uppy hairs were put on your neck for a reason. Has your "gut instinct" EVER misled you? Trust her.

The most important part is that you've got sense enough to know that there is MUCH TO LEARN. You're proving that you have a teachable spirit just by posting here. Excellent. You'll do well.

And don't be afraid to accept help from the decent men and women who've been where you're trying to go..

Last thing--that truck doesn't care what the gender of its driver is. It will respond like a well-trained horse to a firm, directive hand. No matter what ANY of the "bozos" out there say, they aren't the ones who were with you on the nights you cry from sheer frustration, wondering if it's really worth it. And none of them will get to steal the MAGIC that happens when things start to "fall in place" for you, behind that wheel. So, hold your head high, practice your backing skills, and accept that you have chosen to become greater than you ever knew. (Right now, that probably will sound a bit "hokey." But you just wait--you'll see what I meant, one day!)

Good Luck, Driver!
(I got goosebumps the first time someone called me that! Sometimes, I still do!)

Jewels

Last edited by JewelsnTools; 10-26-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Board Regular

Why has no one mentioned pay? How about you all breaking that one down. And not to be a puss here, just asking.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Why has no one mentioned pay? How about you all breaking that one down. And not to be a puss here, just asking.
She didn't ask. This is not about pay, but about being a woman in this industry.