User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Also.... if I'm not mistaken, this is probably one of the ONLY industries where women pretty much make EQUAL pay to men. I know you were only mentioning the lousy pay in general, but for a woman, this business holds a certain "fairness" if you follow me.
So true, everyone gets the chance to go broke equally while living in 4 star accommodations.

And not saying that people cannot make money out here, I used to, and did quite well for quite a few years. But, that all stopped over a year ago, will it come back? Not that I can tell in the foreseeable future. And knowing what these companies are actually paying these new guys, which is less than what I started at twenty years ago, I could not recommend this occupation to anyone. The thought of trying to make it on a couple hundred of dollars a week, or less, is not my cup of tea.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Rookie

JustTruckin...I'm gettin to the point where I don't like you. I'm making a major change in my life and I'm looking for encouragement. You have had very little encouragement. I don't if you have something against women in trucking or if you're jaded by the industry in general, but I'm going to kindly ask once to stop with the negativity or just butt out altogether.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7680 View Post
JustTruckin...I'm gettin to the point where I don't like you. I'm making a major change in my life and I'm looking for encouragement. You have had very little encouragement. I don't if you have something against women in trucking or if you're jaded by the industry in general, but I'm going to kindly ask once to stop with the negativity or just butt out altogether.
did i miss something or does somebody just have a bad attitude?????????? MAYBE he was sending her nasty P.M.'s.... she would rather have "encouragement" instead of the truth??? i'm so confused....... from what i just seen, somebody ain't gonna last long in trucking. :bigangry:
Old 11-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
did i miss something or does somebody just have a bad attitude?????????? MAYBE he was sending her nasty P.M.'s.... she would rather have "encouragement" instead of the truth??? i'm so confused....... from what i just seen, somebody ain't gonna last long in trucking. :bigangry:
I never once said he was lying. I said he was being completely negative. There is a difference. For example, when I was in college I worked at an amusement park in the summers. Now if someone asked me what it was like I could do one of two things: A) I could say that it is extremely physical work and you have to deal with whining and stupid people for 12 hours a day at minimum wage but it was fun at times or B) I could say it's not an easy job to do. You are out in the weather and the people can be trying and the pay is on the low side; however, it was also a lot fun and there were a lot of perks involved (such as having some of the world's best rollercoasters in your backyard) and you get to meet a lot fo different people.

Both scenarios are the truth but I think people who wanted to work at an amusement park for the summer would be more encouraged by hearing something like statement B.

In short, I realize that there are pros and cons to trucking. I get that I'm going to gone and that I will have to travel in the winter with ice and snow. I get it that the work is hard. I get it that I am going to be away from loved ones for weeks at a time. I get all the cons of the job. I want to hear some pros. I don't think I have asked for too much and I think that you are making an unfair assumption of someone you don't even know.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:58 AM

Another poster said that flatbedding isn't for women, I couldn't disagree more!

Some of the best drivers I have ever known, and flatbedders, have been women.

Yes, you will have to deal with tarps. 99% of the places you load put the tarps on top of the load for you if it needs to be covered. Then you just hop up top, spread things out, tie it down and off you go. I don't get why so many of these guys out here think tarping is such a big deal, really. Once you figure out how to do it and learn what works for you it is easy. I can have a load of lumber tarped and ready to go in less than a half hour, coils in 15 to 20 minutes... including securing everything. If the wind is blowing it can be a challenge... you'll learn how to position your truck to take advantage of the wind instead of fighting it. If there are other trucks around that are tarping, they will offer to help almost every time, provided you give them a hand also. If you need help and nobody offers, just ask, I have never once been told no in 8+ years of pulling a flatbed.

If you aren't afraid to get dirty and enjoy some physical exertion then flatbedding is a great place to be. Dealing with straps, tarps, chains, dunnage, etc... is a great way to stay in shape. The best part about pulling a flatbed... no grocery warehouses. No pulling into the lot for an 8am appointment and being one of 30 trucks waiting for a dock. No sitting there waiting, and waiting, then waiting more while your 14 hour clock ticks away to nothing. No dealing with shippers and receivers with nasty attitudes who couldn't care less if you get unloaded or sit all day. The customers who load and unload flatbeds are almost always happy to see you and get you in and out as fast as they possibly can. The only exception I've found to this is the pipe yards around Houston... be prepared to wait awhile if you end up there. The customers often help when you roll up your tarps and are pulling off straps/chains.

Yes, January in North Dakota while unloading pipe or a pumping unit, 40 below zero with a 30 mile an hour wind does suck. You learn to dress for the weather and if you need to climb in the truck to warm up for a few minutes nobody complains... more than likely they will offer you a cup of coffee and keep right on loading or unloading you.

So what if you have a coil loaded suicide on an icy road. Secure it according to the guidelines and then add an extra chain or two, you could put the trailer on a rotissere and it won't budge.

Good luck with whatever you do, so far you have shown a good attitude and a willingness to learn and that will take you far.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I never once said he was lying. I said he was being completely negative. There is a difference. For example, when I was in college I worked at an amusement park in the summers. Now if someone asked me what it was like I could do one of two things: A) I could say that it is extremely physical work and you have to deal with whining and stupid people for 12 hours a day at minimum wage but it was fun at times or B) I could say it's not an easy job to do. You are out in the weather and the people can be trying and the pay is on the low side; however, it was also a lot fun and there were a lot of perks involved (such as having some of the world's best rollercoasters in your backyard) and you get to meet a lot fo different people.

Both scenarios are the truth but I think people who wanted to work at an amusement park for the summer would be more encouraged by hearing something like statement B.

In short, I realize that there are pros and cons to trucking. I get that I'm going to gone and that I will have to travel in the winter with ice and snow. I get it that the work is hard. I get it that I am going to be away from loved ones for weeks at a time. I get all the cons of the job. I want to hear some pros. I don't think I have asked for too much and I think that you are making an unfair assumption of someone you don't even know.
I think he was just letting you know the stuff that schools and recruters don't tell ya. BUT i could be wrong, what do i know. either way good luck with your new career. :thumbsup:
Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I believe you were asking for opinions. And that is what was presented to you. You want the pro's ... ok... you get a paycheck, pump your own fuel, see parts of the country, and meet a lot of people.

Let's say it is a lot like an amusement park!!!

Best of luck in your new adventure!!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Annie, please except my apology for not being "encouraging". I have gone through this with friends and family who saw what I was doing and "jumped" right in. They had no idea what they were getting into, or ever asked the pro and cons of what to expect. Nor did they ever give any serious thought to at least ask how I got to where I was and the sacrifices involved.

At our height we had five trucks and a mix of vans and conestoga flat beds along with employing 6 people. It was fun, and we made some very good money out here when things were good. Now, we are just happy that we got out when we did without losing everything like many of my friends have that work in this industry.

This is not an amusement park job, though as someone said it sure can seem that way at times. And don't get me wrong, I had a ball out here, saw things that I never would have seen and met many very nice people. But in the current economic situation this country is in now, and seeing so many states push truck driving as a way out...

How to say this? I see all of these new guys and gals jumping into an industry that they know little about, at the worst possible time in this industries history. The rates are way down, credit is drying up, and there are so many desperate people out here wanting work, that it is actually driving wages down. And here we are coming into the winter months, which from the figures that I have looked at is going to be long and hard with little freight which means little pay.

If I was going to get back into trucking, it would be on the truck driving school side, as that seems to be where the money is at.

Annie, I truly do wish you all of the best and please be safe out here as these are very interesting times. And when you do get that first job, hang with that company for at least a year, no matter how bad it gets. You get that year under your belt, you will find more opportunities out here. After your third year, you will find many doors opening up for you, it is just making it to that third year that can be difficult.

And when you are out here, watch how the freight moves, what areas to avoid or stay in. If you get a load to Maine, you will probably find that even as a driver that you will lose money out of your pocket on that run. Watch the freight lanes and talk to other drivers about where the freight is. You are going to need to be sharp and on your toes even as a company driver. And try to forge a good relationship with your dispatcher, as he or she is the one in charge of your purse strings. They can make or break a driver in the blink of an eye.

All the best!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL, you gotta remember to take what is bad on here and the good. I tend to wake up in a good mood, even come across all chipper on the radio. Always a sourpuss out there to grumble and growl about me being so positive. Probably already know this part

good as I see it,

get to see many parts of the country, get to take part in one of the most important jobs in the country, get to blow the big horn bringing a smile to kids, pay is better than many other jobs I've done, flexability in my hours, driving something that few ppl would ever think they can drive.

cons

dispatchers trying to squeeze in that one extra load even though they know it's going to haver to be run past your HOS, city traffic mostly 4 weelers but you have some idiots for truck drivers as well, chaining, driving in snow period, the northeast (no offense ne guys/gals, I just detest being up there ), breakdowns, long and iregular hours at times.

these are some of the pro's and con's as I see them but they will differ from one driver to the next, and from company to company. I still enjoy the job even with the con's.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

This is one business where you can enjoy an above average income and you can see the country without having someone looking over your shoulder all day. I have seen some pretty amazing things over the years. There are drawbacks as with any profession. If you plan on pulling a flat bed expect to be out in all sorts of weather. Pulling tarps around can be physically challenging. I don't see many women pulling skateboards (flats), but there are some around. Other than the physical aspects of pulling a flat, there isn't much difference in pulling other types of freight. People are more apt to be glad to see you when you pull a flat than a van. It is pretty much what you make of it. The time of year and economy will likely have you doing more sitting than usual. Vans tend to have more freight this time of year, but rates are generally better with flats. Many of the flat bed carriers use smaller sleepers that are either flat tops or mid roofs, whereas the van carriers tend to use more condo's and larger sleepers.