User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Why has no one mentioned pay? How about you all breaking that one down. And not to be a puss here, just asking.
I have been on unemployment for 6 and half months and prior to that I worked as a financial consultant making less than $24,000 a year at 60 hours a week (if you do the math, it equals out to about minimum wage). At this rate, $.30 a mile after 2000 miles adds up. I'm not worried about the pay because it's bound to be better than what I was getting.

Also, thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone. I start school today so I will post and let you all know how it's going.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Board Member

from some female friends I know this is what I can tell. As a female you need to take some extra precautions. Once you go solo, park as close to the store, restaurant as posable. This might involve some planning as you will wanna get to the truckstop a little early to make this happen. Porta potty is your best friend. In the middle of the night it beats walking a long distance to the restroom and much safer. If you drive through the night, I've known my female friends to park close to the entrance of the rest area so they could run in and out of it fast. I'm prety quick myself so to I can usaully do that or pull into the fuel island but thats me, lol. you'll probably have a hammer onhand anyways so keep it where you can quickly access it should someone try to get in and it wouldn't be a bad idea if the company you go with allows it to bring a dog along. One of my friends has a pet german shepard, he's actualy a big baby but they don't know that. All they see is that big dog, even a small dog will keep most away. BOL, it's not to bad out there but just like your male counterparts, you need to take precations. I'd love to say all truckers look out for each other, most actually do, but you have a few bad apples out there as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7680 View Post
I have been on unemployment for 6 and half months and prior to that I worked as a financial consultant making less than $24,000 a year at 60 hours a week (if you do the math, it equals out to about minimum wage). At this rate, $.30 a mile after 2000 miles adds up. I'm not worried about the pay because it's bound to be better than what I was getting.

Also, thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone. I start school today so I will post and let you all know how it's going.
amen to that, some pay is better than none and as you progress you'll be in a better position to dictate pay.

on a side note, jewles mentioned how she got goosebumpes being called driver, even though I don't get goosebumps ( unless I'm to damned cold) I do get a sense of pride, even 3 years later when I get called that. Once you go solo, I think you will to.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd say stay off the CB. Going down the road is fine, but in the truckstop especially. Don't be afraid to go to the fuel island when you're ready to park for the night and go in to brush your teeth or use the facilities, but be respectful and make it snappy.

Once you get on the big road with a trainer, there's a good chance it will be a female, and she can give you some pointers along the way. It really isn't a dangerous profession for a female, and I think you'll be over your nervousness in no time.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys. I so appreciate it. I'll be finishing my first week of school tomorrow. Aside from the cold I came down with it, it's going good. I got my CDL permit today, which was daunting. I did ok with the General knowledge portion and I knocked out a homerun with the air brakes test but i had to take the combination vehicle test a coupld times. At any rate, I passed and now it's on to the next step.

Also I have another questions. Has anyone heard of TMC? If so, what do you think of them as a company?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

yes, from what I understand they are a good company but they can be very tough at the same time. From what I can gather trucks have to stay imaculate, trailers also. realy clean cut, sorta similar to the military in many respects.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Board Regular

I would think long and hard before I would go pull a flatbed as a woman. I have done it with a co-driver, but in all honesty, I couldn't do it by myself. In one word.....TARPS....I am not weak, but having to carry a 100 lbs tarp up a ladder to put it on top of my load, not only no, but he!! no.

Especially at TMC where just about everything has to be tarped. It is one thing to haul things like generators, heavy equipment or the like, where all you have to do is chain it down, but having to worry about tarping every day is a big no-no for me.

Starting in winter is going to be rough anyhow, but having to worry about load securement too is a lot.

When you go down the highway next time, look at the trucks pulling the open trailers, and the freight they carry. You have to both secure and often cover it. Are you prepared for doing that?

Last but not least, personally I would not go to TMC, because how your truck looks seems to be more important to them than anything else.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 PM

you'll learn to start cursing and smoking like a sailor in no time; also you'll learn to do the buffet shuffle after a few trips to buffet table you will fit right in with the rest of the buffet bandits

Last edited by bigtruckman; 10-31-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7680 View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement you guys. I so appreciate it. I'll be finishing my first week of school tomorrow. Aside from the cold I came down with it, it's going good. I got my CDL permit today, which was daunting. I did ok with the General knowledge portion and I knocked out a homerun with the air brakes test but i had to take the combination vehicle test a coupld times. At any rate, I passed and now it's on to the next step.

Also I have another questions. Has anyone heard of TMC? If so, what do you think of them as a company?
TMC? Like someone else said, hell no. I used to flatbed and I will tell you right now it is not a job for a woman, or most men, especially a green horn in the winter. You will need to be able to chuck around 100 + lb tarps along with chains while climbing and walking on icy surfaces, and then we have the winter winds. And this winter is going to take the cake weather wise, I saw the squirrels in my front yard out trying to hitch a ride to Florida the other day.

See if you can find an outfit that does vans or reefers to cut your teeth on. You will find that challenging enough, without having to worry about a 45,000 lb coil loaded suicide while traveling on a two hundred mile stretch of icy road. And yes, you will have to be able to drive in those conditions as you cannot hide in a truck stop all winter long.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
Why has no one mentioned pay? How about you all breaking that one down. And not to be a puss here, just asking.

She didn't ask. This is not about pay, but about being a woman in this industry.
Also.... if I'm not mistaken, this is probably one of the ONLY industries where women pretty much make EQUAL pay to men. I know you were only mentioning the lousy pay in general, but for a woman, this business holds a certain "fairness" if you follow me.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.