User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well, I'll give you credit for stamina. Most other people that have come on here for something related to your mission fade from here long before this. What I would like to see (or do) is a weekly column in a newpaper that the general public reads. There are issues that the general public NEEDS to be made aware of. And it's not just for our sake, but for theirs as well. For one thing, canvas the public in Dunnedin. See just how many of them actually believe we can stop as fast as they can or even faster. I've had discussions with a number of people about that and have flattly been told that I can stop faster than they can. I've referred a number of them to DOT for stopping distances.

About 10 years ago, or so, a national news program had an hour long show about the stopping distances for various cars. Virtually every one of them was able to stop within 150 feet from 55 mph, on a level, dry paved road. If you have 30 years experience, you know DOT's stopping distance for an 18-wheeler under optimum conditions. But with an LTL load, and the back half, to two thirds of the trailer empty, that can change because the ABS takes over. BRAKE, one, two, three, RELEASE, one, two, three, BRAKE... And the stopping distance can go up to, and over, 600 feet. Yet, every "Tom", "Dick", and "Harry" absolutely MUST drive in front of a truck. Some will even speed up to 90 and 100 mph just to stay 100 feet in front of the truck. But, as long as they remained alert to the movements of the truck, they would be (theoretically) safer to drive 3 feet BEHIND the truck because of the differences in the stopping distances. Not to mention the 17 to 25% they can save on fuel by following 200 feet behind the truck, depending on wind direction.

Now, please point out one of the "so-called experts" that is aware of that. What I think of when I hear "expert" is...

Quote:
March/April 2007 TECHNOLOGY REVIEW
In the context of the overall energy economy,
a car like the BMW Hydrogen 7 would probably produce far more carbon dioxide emissions than gasoline-powered cars available today. And changing this calculation would take multiple breakthroughs--which study after study has predicted will take decades, if they arrive at all. In fact, the Hydrogen 7 and its hydrogen-fuel-cell cousins are, in many ways, simply flashy distractions produced by automakers who should be taking stronger immediate action to reduce the greenhouse-gas emissions of their cars.
This comes from some of those "experts". Now, think about what they are trying to tell us. Fuels are hydro-carbons. Hydrogen has no carbon. Yet, by not putting hydro-carbons into the combustion process, you're going to put out more carbon dioxide than by introducing carbon into it. Somewhere, they've come up with a way to CREATE matter in the combustion process. You CAN NOT PUT OUT MORE CARBON than you put into the process.

So, what I want to know is: "JUST WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH TO PAY THESE EXPERTS, and also, WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH TO GIVE THEM CREDIBILITY?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Smith
I knew you'd catch it. After I sent it I realized what I said. Just keeping you on your toes...

Hope you reconsider being on the show. I'm also a conservative and have spent many a night listening to Rush, Sean, Mark Levin,etc...
We can arrange a day and time for you. I think your keen wit and experience would be an added factor. People don't just want to hear all my trucking stories and advise. Need variety, and I definitely want experience.
OK Allen...you have worn me down....let's see if you can keep up for a day or two...If you can find the time to fit into my schedule send me a PM...it might take me a day or 2 to get back to you!

My schedule goes something like this...all times Mountain Daylight Time...

Monday:
1. 10 pm rise..head to work to pick up trailers
2. Usually on the road by midnight
3. 5 minute coffee-stop in Whitecourt, 2 hours NW of Edmonton
4. 15 spllit train stop in Dawson Creek 6.5 hours NW of Edmonton
5. 10 minute coffee, etc stop Ft St John, BC 7.5 hrs NW of Edmonton
6. 15 minute switch stop in Ft Nelson, BC 12 hrs NW of Edmonton
7. Since it's usually too bloody hot too sleep there, back to Sasquatch Crossing 2 hours back the way I came, sleep there for 4 hours
8. Supper at same - 25 minutes TOPS
9. Beat it down the road back to DC to p/u pup - 15 minutes
10. Stop at the "Chain-up" Area on the Big Smoky River 4 more hours sleep
11 Back to Edmonton - 11am normal
12. Home for a few more sleep

Wed - Repeat above

Friday - Repeat to Ft Nelson, but no switch, going to Whitehorse 9 hours further ahead, so lets see I should make it to Summit before time is up...sleep what I can & move on
Saturday night/Sunday morning arrive in WH around 2am - switch & head of...we can run 15 hours North of 60...& I DO! Should make Watson Lake, YT before I run out, so back to there...Repeat process, back to Alberta border for Monday afternoon, short sleep & back home late Monday night

24 hours off

then repeat Monday & Wed on Tues then to Yellowknife, NWT on Thursday, back home for Saturday afternoon

Total 8554 miles in 12 days! And in case you are wondering...YES I run solo...always have always will! :lol: :lol: Catch me if you can! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Oh and Allen, if you really want to know what I'm about check some of the threads I've started or ask in the 20 questions thread....

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Well, I'll give you credit for stamina. Most other people that have come on here for something related to your mission fade from here long before this. What I would like to see (or do) is a weekly column in a newpaper that the general public reads. There are issues that the general public NEEDS to be made aware of. And it's not just for our sake, but for theirs as well. For one thing, canvas the public in Dunnedin. See just how many of them actually believe we can stop as fast as they can or even faster. I've had discussions with a number of people about that and have flattly been told that I can stop faster than they can. I've referred a number of them to DOT for stopping distances.

About 10 years ago, or so, a national news program had an hour long show about the stopping distances for various cars. Virtually every one of them was able to stop within 150 feet from 55 mph, on a level, dry paved road. If you have 30 years experience, you know DOT's stopping distance for an 18-wheeler under optimum conditions. But with an LTL load, and the back half, to two thirds of the trailer empty, that can change because the ABS takes over. BRAKE, one, two, three, RELEASE, one, two, three, BRAKE... And the stopping distance can go up to, and over, 600 feet. Yet, every "Tom", "Dick", and "Harry" absolutely MUST drive in front of a truck. Some will even speed up to 90 and 100 mph just to stay 100 feet in front of the truck. But, as long as they remained alert to the movements of the truck, they would be (theoretically) safer to drive 3 feet BEHIND the truck because of the differences in the stopping distances. Not to mention the 17 to 25% they can save on fuel by following 200 feet behind the truck, depending on wind direction.

Now, please point out one of the "so-called experts" that is aware of that. What I think of when I hear "expert" is...

Quote:
March/April 2007 TECHNOLOGY REVIEW
In the context of the overall energy economy,
a car like the BMW Hydrogen 7 would probably produce far more carbon dioxide emissions than gasoline-powered cars available today. And changing this calculation would take multiple breakthroughs--which study after study has predicted will take decades, if they arrive at all. In fact, the Hydrogen 7 and its hydrogen-fuel-cell cousins are, in many ways, simply flashy distractions produced by automakers who should be taking stronger immediate action to reduce the greenhouse-gas emissions of their cars.
This comes from some of those "experts". Now, think about what they are trying to tell us. Fuels are hydro-carbons. Hydrogen has no carbon. Yet, by not putting hydro-carbons into the combustion process, you're going to put out more carbon dioxide than by introducing carbon into it. Somewhere, they've come up with a way to CREATE matter in the combustion process. You CAN NOT PUT OUT MORE CARBON than you put into the process.

So, what I want to know is: "JUST WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH TO PAY THESE EXPERTS, and also, WHO IS STUPID ENOUGH TO GIVE THEM CREDIBILITY?
That's why I didn't get overly upset about the intial ridicule here. There are so many claiming to be "experts" everywhere. The way I see it is, most on here with 20 years or more in driving are experts in some form or another. I do believe however that we shouldn't judge one another so quickly, but rather take the time and do a little research first.
I believe we're all on the same page and need to recognize that.
I think your idea about a weekly column in the newspaper is a great idea.
I have thought about it myself, but if someone , like yourself,could do that, that would help. Like I said, I've thought about it, but I'm already working my driving job ( local) and between the website, blog, e-mails to people who have questions, phone calls, and now the BTR show....I'm going 7 days...about 80 hours total. Right now, I'm writing an article as I post.
I do believe getting the general public informed is a start in the right direction. Let them know what goes on. Something for them to "fight" for other than trees, whales, and not drilling.

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 08-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Smith
I knew you'd catch it. After I sent it I realized what I said. Just keeping you on your toes...

Hope you reconsider being on the show. I'm also a conservative and have spent many a night listening to Rush, Sean, Mark Levin,etc...
We can arrange a day and time for you. I think your keen wit and experience would be an added factor. People don't just want to hear all my trucking stories and advise. Need variety, and I definitely want experience.
OK Allen...you have worn me down....let's see if you can keep up for a day or two...If you can find the time to fit into my schedule send me a PM...it might take me a day or 2 to get back to you!

My schedule goes something like this...all times Mountain Daylight Time...

Monday:
1. 10 pm rise..head to work to pick up trailers
2. Usually on the road by midnight
3. 5 minute coffee-stop in Whitecourt, 2 hours NW of Edmonton
4. 15 spllit train stop in Dawson Creek 6.5 hours NW of Edmonton
5. 10 minute coffee, etc stop Ft St John, BC 7.5 hrs NW of Edmonton
6. 15 minute switch stop in Ft Nelson, BC 12 hrs NW of Edmonton
7. Since it's usually too bloody hot too sleep there, back to Sasquatch Crossing 2 hours back the way I came, sleep there for 4 hours
8. Supper at same - 25 minutes TOPS
9. Beat it down the road back to DC to p/u pup - 15 minutes
10. Stop at the "Chain-up" Area on the Big Smoky River 4 more hours sleep
11 Back to Edmonton - 11am normal
12. Home for a few more sleep

Wed - Repeat above

Friday - Repeat to Ft Nelson, but no switch, going to Whitehorse 9 hours further ahead, so lets see I should make it to Summit before time is up...sleep what I can & move on
Saturday night/Sunday morning arrive in WH around 2am - switch & head of...we can run 15 hours North of 60...& I DO! Should make Watson Lake, YT before I run out, so back to there...Repeat process, back to Alberta border for Monday afternoon, short sleep & back home late Monday night

24 hours off

then repeat Monday & Wed on Tues then to Yellowknife, NWT on Thursday, back home for Saturday afternoon

Total 8554 miles in 12 days! And in case you are wondering...YES I run solo...always have always will! :lol: :lol: Catch me if you can! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Oh and Allen, if you really want to know what I'm about check some of the threads I've started or ask in the 20 questions thread....
Hey WildKat...Where there's a will there's a way....we'll get it done.

Tried to send a PM, but you know how it is. "I'm still a Rookie" on here with less than 50 posts, so they don't allow PM's.

Send me one and I'll give you my e-mail address. We'll figure it all out.
I have to say this: I admire what you do, to say the least. Would like others to hear about it too. Thanks.

Going to check out those other threads you suggested.

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 AM

Dear Wildkat,

Do you realize how rare women like you are?

You appear to have a bigger set of "stones" than most men!

If all women were like you, divorce lawyers would not exist!

Seriously.

Carry on.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWD
Dear Wildkat,

Do you realize how rare women like you are?

You appear to have a bigger set of "stones" than most men!

If all women were like you, divorce lawyers would not exist!

Seriously.

Carry on.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think my HUSBAND gets down on his knees every day & thanks God they broke the mold when I was created!! He swears the world simply could NOT handle two of me!

Seriously; I don't know that I'm really that much different than most...well maybe just a little :shock: :shock: I just DO things....Unfortuneately I intimidate the hell out of 99% of the men out there! ops: ops:

But, thank you very much for the compliment!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 08-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Its a Canadian girl thing, HWD.

That, and you have to be a good liar!!
I can count the log book infractions in her posted schedule, can you?
:P

I love her though and I'm just as bad so I'd never out her.
haha
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNorthStar
Its a Canadian girl thing, HWD.

That, and you have to be a good liar!!
I can count the log book infractions in her posted schedule, can you?
:P

I love her though and I'm just as bad so I'd never out her.
haha
LMAO Lady! I use the NORTH OF 60 to MY advantage...just as you do of that I am ABSOLUTELY sure!!

Hey, I was around BEFORE there were log books...believe me I took the "advanced" course!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Old 09-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Hi, I am a woman that is trying to get in the trucking. I went to school but the school I went to is bad, all of the truck were broken shifter did not work tralers was off tracking mirrores broken, just to tell you a few things. So what I am asking is I belive I have what it takes to be a trucker, I need help.

Jessie
Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member