Originally Posted by wildkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Quote:
OK Ridge & Reb...I'm LOST!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please explain to this dumb blonde....
It is a song by Brad Paisly about a teen that has a REAL life and an inter-net life. He is Soooo much cooler "on-line".

OHHHHH

I GET it now!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GcVnhNjWV0 It's freakin hysterical!!!!

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks RD. I think that made the point. :lol:
Old 08-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Quote:
EXACTLY WW...that's what really TICKS me off about the whole thing...these so-called "experts" giving absolutely :dung: :dung: :dung: :dung: information to new drivers...no damned wonder so many of them have accidents their first week on the job. I can't tell you how many threads I have read about this subject alone!

I find it so frustrating when I see newbies right out of driving school go with a "trainer" that has virtually no more experience than they do. IMHO, trainers should be certified instructors with a MINIMUM of 10 years experience.

Up here companies are not allowed to be schools, in Alberta anways, not sure about the rest of the country, I'm not sure if that's better or worse sometimes, but at least it doesn't allow unskilled drivers to have their Class One (your CDL). Granted, there are some pretty shady schools around, but that, thankfully is changing, with the rules for schools tightening up.
And, one of the biggest problems we have, is that all this is not being published in the WALL STREET JOURNAL, or the NEW YORK TIMES where the general public can learn about it. These sites are all little more than "internal support groups". There is a lot of information that the public SHOULD BE TOLD, but it's not getting there. And, from what I've seen on ALLEN SMITH's site says he's not doing any better.
Well that's just it WW or the simple fact that by our very nature we are an independent lot....just look at how many differing opinions you can get by asking one simple question....heck most days you couldn't find 2 truckers to agree on what colour the sky is, let alone something so important as the things that affect our very existence!

I just wish that we COULD get some very real EXPERTS in this field, but sadly, those who truly are seem to have no desire to speak up...wonder why that is?...maybe just tired of "pissing in the wind"? I know myself, if someone asks I will answer, but I get tired of those who ask who don't WANT the answer or discount it cause they don't LIKE it.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I'm sorry Allen, I've been a woman trucker for 30 years & I have not yet figured out what this Ellen person actually BRINGS to the industry for women. I have checked her website & listened to her on various talk shows & all I get is that she has no PRACTICAL trucking experience & wants special status for women truckers...and THAT is a detriment to all women actually working in the industry.

You see that is the major problem with all the "so called experts" that seem to keep popping up in this industry...they are all "talk", but I can guarantee you, after listening to them for about 10 seconds, I for one, can tell they haven't spent 10 seconds behind the wheel actually WORKING.

And, if you want some REAL WORLD insight to what it is truly like in the trucking industry then you should go to experienced truckers. But, unfortunately no one will ever do that cause they don't want to find out what it's REALLY like.

Talk to folks like GMAN, or some of the other truly EXPERIENCED people on this board & you might actually learn something about the industry.
I don't blame you being cynical. or anyone for that matter. It's difficult to believe anyone spends about 40 plus hours/week ( besides a driving job) to help others avoid the scams of the Industry. Our Audience is mostly Students who are about to get ripped off from the schools, schools that are going to charge them a rediculous amount of money in order to get an inferior training. New Drivers are also a part of the audience.

I'm a driver of 30 years also. Just like you I've heard the stories while I was on the road from mostly, "new drivers", complaining about either some lease they can't afford, or how the company screwed them over in their paycheck, etc...you've all heard it before, I'm sure.
I came on here to offer some advise, but it's turned into "this" so I'll go with it.

The reason students land on my site is because they're looking for advise. They could easily go to the forums, BUT THEY DON'T. Either they don't want to or they don't know how. Some would rather just get the book/ CD's and the free consults( either over the phone or by e-mail) to help them make their choices. I send them links to all the forums and strongly suggest to them to get involved, but I don't think many take the advise. They'd rather (I guess) have some "one on one consultation", which is fine with me because my goal is to help them avoid the Scams....plain and simple.

As far as Ellen Voie being an "Expert", we'll find out. Why don't you call during the show and ask her some questions about that? If you can't call in, I will ask her. Give me some more questions you're curious about, and I'll ask, along with my own that I plan to ask.
Listen, this whole idea I had was to Raise the Standards of the Trucking Industry, to eliminate the scams that go on: The scams that target the naive and vulnerable is what is happening. You should read the e-mails I get from people who have just been taken over and are at a loss for words. I remember this one letter that came in the mail. My wife opened it and she just started crying. I won't go into it here, but it's one more example of what we're trying to eliminate. I spent about an hour with him trying to guide him and "fix" the mess he had gotten into. By the way, he hadn't bought anything from me. It was all free.

It's ironic that those I was hoping to join me are now appearing to question the motives. Like I said, I guess I don't blame you. There's a lot of BS, and the first thing that comes to someones mind is: "MORE BS"
Anyone can call or write me at anytime. You can find out for yourself.
There's a show on BTR tomorrow at 6PM with Wayne Weisser of "Life on the Road" trucking blog. Wayne also has "Adventrues in Trucking" blog.
Hope this puts this all to rest. Everyone here is trying to help the newbies, I know. But not all the newbies are coming here. What's that saying? If Muhammed won't go to the mountain then bring the mountain......

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 08-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

OK, Allen I will bite.

Here's my questions for her...seems she couldn't or wouldn't answer them when I caught her on another talk show...kept changing the subject...

1. Where is your REAL world trucking experience?
2. Do you or have you ever driven a truck? Off a parking lot?
3. Have you ever earned a living as a driver? If not what makes you think you are QUALIFIED to speak for other women drivers?

Truthfully, I don't like your website, it just seemed more of the same to me...cynical, you BET I'm cynical...I've seen it all, heard it all...more than once.

Maybe things are different down south, but anyone dumb enough NOT to do their homework deserves what they get I guess.

As I have said millions of times in the past...ASK questions BEFORE you start...anything...and not from those DAMNED recruiters, they, in my experience will only tell you what they think you want to hear.

What gets me is NOBODY seems to want to take RESPONSIBILITY for themselves anymore! When people start doing that, IMHO there will be far less scam artists out there!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
OK, Allen I will bite.

Here's my questions for her...seems she couldn't or wouldn't answer them when I caught her on another talk show...kept changing the subject...

1. Where is your REAL world trucking experience?
2. Do you or have you ever driven a truck? Off a parking lot?
3. Have you ever earned a living as a driver? If not what makes you think you are QUALIFIED to speak for other women drivers?

Truthfully, I don't like your website, it just seemed more of the same to me...cynical, you BET I'm cynical...I've seen it all, heard it all...more than once.

Maybe things are different down south, but anyone dumb enough NOT to do their homework deserves what they get I guess.

As I have said millions of times in the past...ASK questions BEFORE you start...anything...and not from those DAMNED recruiters, they, in my experience will only tell you what they think you want to hear.

What gets me is NOBODY seems to want to take RESPONSIBILITY for themselves anymore! When people start doing that, IMHO there will be far less scam artists out there!
Thanks WildKat....Those questions are on my list. I would love to have you call in. As a matter of fact, I've been trying to locate a veteran Woman Driver to be a guest on the show. Would you consider this also?
We're trying to get the truckers involved and to give their advise. Every trucker has different opinions and advise on topics and to get a variety of opinions out there is ideal.
Please write me and let me know if you'd like to be a guest. I feel you have a lot to offer everyone out there....men and Woman.
The show would be an hour long.
As far as Recruiters go....Don't even get me started on them! I have an entire chapter devoted to them!
You're right about people not taking responsibility for themselves, but think about it for a minute.
Someone gets excited about trucking....they read a little bit...then a recruiter gets a hold of them. Most people are trusting individuals, and you know how it is, It's like being "In Love". You only hear what you want to hear. Before you know it, it's too late for them. It's not their fault entirely....the recruiter just got to them before any of us could.

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Sorry Allen, 6pm is my sleep time...I'm an owner/op who is a linehaul driver...steady night work. Am also in kind of a unique position as I run the Canadian Arctic. No phone, no internet, no truckstops...too remote, too isolated.

Arctic truckstop:

And I'm not sure I would make a good person to call in, I do not suffer fools lightly & I am DEFINITELY not in the PC crowd...I'm conservative & I tell it like it is....NOT a good mix!

I am also NOT good at talking about myself...if someone has questions, I will do my best to answer, but I don't do BS, if I don't know I will say so...I'm no "expert", the day I think I am is the day I hang up my skates, cause that's the day I become a HAZARD on the road.

Definition of a SUPERTRUCKER: Been everywhere, done everything, knows everything, can't learn anything new!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Sorry Allen, 6pm is my sleep time...I'm an owner/op who is a linehaul driver...steady night work. Am also in kind of a unique position as I run the Canadian Arctic. No phone, no internet, no truckstops...too remote, too isolated.

And I'm not sure I would make a good person to call in, I do not suffer fools lightly & I am DEFINITELY not in the PC crowd...I'm conservative & I tell it like it is....NOT a good mix!

I am also NOT good at talking about myself...if someone has questions, I will do my best to answer, but I don't do BS, if I don't know I will say so...I'm no "expert", the day I think I am is the day I hang up my skates, cause that's the day I become a HAZARD on the road.

Definition of a SUPERTRUCKER: Been everywhere, done everything, knows everything, can't learn anything new!

OK, I can understand that. I have been looking for a veteran women driver to be on the show, and knew you had the experience....but Alaska says it all!! I have to admit that I expected attacks from the driving schools and trucking companies, but ironically, it hasn't been that way! It has come from fellow drivers....but I also understand the cynicism out there too. I atcually give away more than is sold...and I'm not doing it for any recognition, just found a way I thought I could help....

My offer still stands for anyone on any blog and forum to be a guest on the talk show. If there is anything related to trucking that you feel is important to let others know and become aware of.....write me....and I will schedule a show for you as the guest......I already had your questions down for Ellen Voie....I had wondered the same thing....but I appreciate your input.........

TruthAboutTrucking.com
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Smith
Quote:

OK, I can understand that. I have been looking for a veteran women driver to be on the show, and knew you had the experience....but Alaska says it all!! I have to admit that I expected attacks from the driving schools and trucking companies, but ironically, it hasn't been that way! It has come from fellow drivers....but I also understand the cynicism out there too. I atcually give away more than is sold...and I'm not doing it for any recognition, just found a way I thought I could help....

My offer still stands for anyone on any blog and forum to be a guest on the talk show. If there is anything related to trucking that you feel is important to let others know and become aware of.....write me....and I will schedule a show for you as the guest......I already had your questions down for Ellen Voie....I had wondered the same thing....but I appreciate your input.........
Alaska???? Did Alaska join Canada while I was sleeping???? Maybe we bought it back! Nowhere did I say anything about Alaska....I run the ALASKA HIGHWAY...which is in CANADA EH?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Rookie

I knew you'd catch it. After I sent it I realized what I said. Just keeping you on your toes...

Hope you reconsider being on the show. I'm also a conservative and have spent many a night listening to Rush, Sean, Mark Levin,etc...
We can arrange a day and time for you. I think your keen wit and experience would be an added factor. People don't just want to hear all my trucking stories and advise. Need variety, and I definitely want experience.

TruthAboutTrucking.com