User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well Thanks Ladies for your suggestions. I am not specifically looking for a driver. I am home for 4-6 days a month, that makes it difficult to meet people from other professions. I don't drink and don't want to hang out in bars, don't particularly want to go online and meet people who may not be who they claim to be either. So that leaves a very limited range of possibilities in my prospective.

I guess I'm so discouraged because I was white collar all my life until recently and never saw the profusion of "lies" that I have in trucking. Perhaps that's the nature of the "beast" since there aren't wives and girlfriends around usually to "monitor" the male egos. I just thought it shouldn't be so difficult to find someone honest. UM!?! Having serious second and third thoughts about that "little theory."

Why don't I want commitment? As I say, "I've been there, done that didn't work, don't want to go back. Was married to someone for half a life time and not interested in finding someone to "settle down with." Had two serious relationships since the divorce. They were both very dependent on me and I can't stand a man who can't take care of himself. Took care of the ex for years and never wanted nor would/will have children. I contend he took more energy than five children probably would have.

Perhaps that does make me an "easy target" because I say I don't want commitment. However, a friend to "run into once in a while-go out to dinner and a movie or something" that isn't married or has a girlfriend shouldn't be that unattainable?!? 8) :roll:
Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

maybe you are too picky or just looking too hard.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Rookie

I'm not yet a trucker but I've been around A LOT and maybe this will help you.

Some years ago Ann Landers or maybe Dr. Laura or someone else explained it this way...

Step 1) Imagine the type of person YOU want to be attracted to .

Step 2) Think through what kind of person that person would be attracted to.

Step 3) Make yourself into that kind of person.

You see, you can really only change yourself. None of us can change someone else.

Good luck and God bless,
Grandpa John

Please send me your ideas and suggestions.

God bless,
Grandpa John
Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well Thanks Ladies for your suggestions. I am not specifically looking for a driver. I am home for 4-6 days a month, that makes it difficult to meet people from other professions. I don't drink and don't want to hang out in bars, don't particularly want to go online and meet people who may not be who they claim to be either. So that leaves a very limited range of possibilities in my prospective.
i beg to differ. you might not be "specifically looking for a driver", but if that's all that's in the pool, that's all you'll find. you're looking in your comfort range because it's easy. time to get yourself out to meet a different class of people. not necessarily better, just different.

since you're only home 4 to 6 days a month why not make the most of that time. what are your hobbies? any clubs in the area devoted to something you like or would like to take up? great way to meet people, male and female who can introduce you to others. how about a gym? favourite coffee shop? any sports? there's a huge range from hiking to bowling. pick one. it doesn't matter that you might not know too much about it, people always love to teach you what they know if you're truly interested in learning.

one example
notice the single hikers section
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

You want someone to just 'run into once in a while', but he shouldn't have someone else? So you don't want a commitment but you want him to be commited to you?
Hum.

Trying to look at this from a mans point of view and I think you are really asking too much. You'd be better off to find someone in your area who would like a girlfriend, yet is independant and busy and doesn't mind you being gone a lot.

Try plentyoffish.com, I hear lots of people have luck there.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member

i`m brutally honest.....

and happily married

I do have a honest brother in law I can hook you up with though, he`s quite the looker and a montana cowboy but good lord is the boy an idiot, but hes a good looking self sustaining idiot, please take him.

www.trukz.com
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Board Regular

Vavega and LadyNorthStar great suggestions. I'll try both!!! I went online briefly but every day was getting a zillion guys pictures that supposedly fit my profile. I think they sent me every guy in the Denver area; irregardless of compatability. Consequently, I never responded and gave up. I've heard horror stories about online services. Although, with your high recommedation LadyNorthStar I will get on Plentyoffish.com.

Vavega, when I make the time I will get into the clubs. Probably won't be the next time I'm at home, hoping it will be at Christmas time. Was a huge bowler when I was young. Went to U. of A. [that's Arizona not Arkansas-folks] and placed third in the state one year in the tournaments, when I was in my early 20s. Just gave it up over the years. Wasn't in a league anymore and guess I fell out of interest or something! UM!!! Might be hard now, I'm a terrible Asthmatic and can't be around smoke. Seems to me bowlers are smokers and drinkers. UM!!! 8) :roll:
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Board Regular

Brian, Thanks for your response. You are just too funny!!! :roll: Trying to pawn off your brother in law who is a self sustaining idiot. Well at least he doesn't live far from me-too funny.

I was married to quite the looker and a brilliant one at that. I realized through the years that looks aren't everything. The man was a WORKAHOLIC. After he completed his Master's and Doctorate in Aerospace Engineering I assumed the "study days" were over. Oh hell no, then he was in the Wind Tunnel all the time reseraching.

When we're old and sitting in our rocking chairs we're all going to probably have wrinkles and lines. Hence, looks only last so long guys and gals. A sense of humor and ability to converse on numerous subjects will carry you much further than looks. Although, let's face it most of us like to look at something that is easy on the eyes.

I'm definitely into "intelligent men". Although, where they hell do you go from a Rocket Scientist? UM?!? Frankly, don't care about someone having money. Been there-all it means is that you don't have to rob Peter to pay Paul. So money isn't a priority for sure. Although, anyone I'm interested in better take care of their own bills. I had two broke boyfriends who thought I was made of money or something. Too sad when adults can't take care of their own bills. Although, I guess their child support is what did them in.

It's too hard to find a guy who doesn't have child support. Seems at least 1/2 the adult population is divorced with kids. I don't have kids and don't want to pay for some other woman's children. I work too hard to support myself. UM... Frankly, I think the top considerations are: compatibility, mutual interests, mutual respect and he better have a good sense of humor. Oh yeah--NUMBER ONE--he better be honest. Gee, I'm shooting for the stars I guess... UM!!!

My first boyfriend after my divorce was the biggest LIAR, I hope I ever run into. I swear if you told him he'd die if he lied or he'd live if he told the truth. The son of a gun would be dead 10 times over!!!! Hence, my hesitancy about liars.... 8) :roll:
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Board Regular

Just hate miss-spellings! Better start using a better spell checker than the one I'm using. "reseraching" in the last post obviously should have been spelled researching. EECCKK. I can't stand miss-spelled words!!!

Well, I'm leaving today and won't be back for weeks so I don't know if I'll have a chance to respond. Hence, these last three posts. Better put a laptop on the truck soon!!! 8) :roll:
Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Have you considered starting a 'MySpace' .? ... that way you can post your pictures and your interest ... you accept who does and doesn't join your MySpace .. I've heard good stories of adults who have met other people they enjoy being with. :wink: ... just a thought :idea:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'