User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HANG TOUGH LADY-YOU'LL GET THROUGH IT!!!

ThinkingAbout Trucking: I P.M.d you with a much longer message but I put this on the board for you also. I have driven for three years for a company that I have hauled trucks for as well as freight. I had the opportunity to learn every gear pattern in the first two years due to the fact that I hauled new trucks all the time.... I learned about air tandems and teflon fifth wheels [they don't need to be greased over the lifetime of the truck-hence; who ever owns the truck saves thousands by not having to grease it.]

I think it's basically a matter of attitude and how things are perceived by us, the direction our daily lives proceed. The best advice I can give you is hang tough. This is definitely a male dominated industry. Everyday women stay off the c.b. due to the things that we "put up with" on the radio. I say, I'm not going to let any jerks detour me from enjoying my job.... I talk on the radio and give it right back to them. There are alot of sexist men who think women should be bare foot and pregnant at home and that's all we're good for. These are usually the "old timers" 50+ years of age. I think they are totally threatened by us and don't know how to treat us... But this is just one of many things that will happen to you out here.

If we can make it through trucking school and get our C.D.L.s petty men and women should not detour us. Hang tough and if you want to P.M. I'll be glad to talk with you personally. I'm out for 24 days a month so I definitely see the good, the bad and the VERY UGLY. You have to be an extraordinary female to put up with what we put up with. There are no average wussy females driving alone I can assure you. If there are they won't last long.

HANG TOUGH SOME OF US ARE HAVING THE TIMES OF OUR LIVES. I was married to a wealthy man and had a huge house-I wanted for nothing. I live in a condo now and make a small amount compared to where I was when I was married and I'm so happy now..... 8) :roll:

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND REMEMBER THERE ARE PLENTY OF US OUT HERE WHO HAVE GONE THROUGH THE SAME AND WORSE EXPERIENCES. YOU'LL MAKE IT-PUT YOUR HEAD UP HIGH AND DON'T LET ANYTHING OR ANYONE DETOUR YOUR COURSE....
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Board Regular

I have read a lot of awful stories about these CDL schools and and these so called trainers. I never realized how bad they were til I started reading about it on this board.

I never had a trainer, so I never had to go through that, I never did go to a school, I got my experience from shunting trailers around in the yard when I was about 17, I borrowed a truck to do my driving test, shortly after I bought my first truck. I had to learn everything on my own, I'm 29 now and on my third truck. I've been out here almost 9 years.

Like Sizzle said, there aren't many "wussy females" driving alone. I have seen a lot of women come and go in this industry. It can be very tough out there, especially being alone. It can be very stressful at times. It is not all fun and games. You can't let every little thing bother you out here or you will never make it.

Have you tried calling trucking companies other than the big ones? These big companies tent to treat drivers like crap. Even if you could get a local job or something to get experience, I know some people on here will say that local experience doesn't count but that is bulls#$t, I started out driving a day cab for a few months. Nobody told me that my experience didn't count. I could back up better then somebody fresh out of driving school. Check you local papers for different trucking jobs, anything that will get you some experience.

Not everybody can start out at the top. Everybody has to start out somewhere. I started out at the bottom, loading trucks, then shunting trailers, then driving. There are other options that just sitting around waiting for one of the big companies to call you, but if you don't get out and look, you won't find these other opportunities.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:13 PM

wussy females? I have to laugh...I guess that would be me ..I keep coming back to this board as I contemplate the second half of my life and the choices I have made thus far and where they have gotten me. Sizzle, I still owe you that phone call! too much has been going on lately, I started that factory job I told everyone about here and walked out after my first day. Now I have a job working alone, rebuilding watercoolers which gives me time to think. I did the factory thing for 14 years...now its time for something else....I still wonder if I could make driving a truck work for me or not...my biggest problem right now is my damn flat feet! I cant work all day on mt feet...soooo..things seem to point towards some sort of driving job. :?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Board Regular

Shawnee and LadyKatrina: I agree with what you both said. Remember ThinkingAboutTrucking training is only for usually 6 weeks. I endured 4 trainers and made it. You can make it too Lady. Just hang tough! 8) :roll:
Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 PM

sizzle, are you off the road for a few days? I will e-mail you from my yahoo account.

kate
Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Rookie

GOOd Luck and Congrats
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Quote:
I figured I'd be safer with a woman, but I wasn't expecting a very out lesbian. What scared me was that she seemed very straitlaced and professional when we first met. It was obvious the next day she really wanted to be with this other driver, and was being rather brusque with me.
Funny, about statistics.....

There are FIVE lesbians for every queer :P

Five times MORE lesbians than faggets.

Don't give up, your day will come.

Here's a rose for a smile!

Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Mandilon .... where exactly do you get your numbers ...
Quote:
There are FIVE lesbians for every queer

In all the years I've been on the road I've only met a few true lesbians and they were VERY respectful of others. ...

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Board Icon

Have I missed something? :|

Apparently. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-30-2007, 01:35 AM

I finally finished my training and tested out yesterday, so now I am a qualified driver!