User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 04:14 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Men Who Still Live In "The Dark Ages"

O.K. I am so pissed off. I am sick and tired of men who either don't believe that women drive trucks or they don't think they should be driving trucks. I went into a truck dealer the other day. I'm looking to purchase a new truck. A Volvo, of course. Anyways, I started looking at a truck on the lot. I pulled the hood down and was looking at the engine and all around the outside of the truck. There were 2 guys a distance off and I could see them watching me while I was doing all this. They never even tried to approach me. That started my temper to rise. After about 10 minutes my hubby finally arrived. He had answered a call on his phone and had stayed by our personal truck until he was done. As soon as he came to where I was I could see both of the men starting towards us. I told my hubby what was what. Believe me he wasn't happy about how they were being. He said they weren't acting very professional or businesslike. I agreed. Anyways they came up to us and proceeded to extend their hands to shake my husband's hand. They asked if they could help him out in any way. Answer any questions, show him the inside of the truck, etc. he replied...."No, I'm not looking to buy anything". They had a puzzled look on their faces. Then they asked why he was looking at a truck. He told them he was just there as my husband. That I was the one looking to buy. One of the men thought he was joking, but my hubby assured him he was serious. I looked at the men and told them that I had seen them just standing around and not offering me any help earlier on. I told them there are MANY women truck drivers out there and we live in the 21st century. I showed them the Letter Of Credit I had from my bank for the downpayment. I told them I wouldn't buy a truck from them. No way was I going to give them any sales commission. I went into the sales building and got the Manager and told him what had happened and how I felt. He apoligized profusely. We say goodbye and started to leave. By the time we got to our truck we could see the Manager had the 2 men in front of him and he was tearing a strip off of both of them. Served them right. Who knows, I might go back there, after some time, and deal with the Manager personally. Maybe he'll give me a better deal knowing what had happened. Let you know if I decide to do that. Drive safe everyone.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Way to go...I think you handled that just right...One way to look at the "women shouldnt be driving" is there are more men on the road that have no business driving a truck than there are women who shouldnt be there"...

Hope you get a very good deal if you decide to go back there...

Rick
Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 AM

Right on! I hear ya girl! Good for you straightening them out. I have never been in a position to buy a big truck, but I got the same thing when I bought my pick up truck. I brought a friend along and the salesman talked to the man right away. My friend had to tell the salesman that I was buying the truck and talk to me.

I have to chuckle to myself when I 'talk truck' to some of these 'men' truckers. Some of them got their jobs because they are men, not for what they know. I got my job for what I know, not because I am a woman.

Times are changing, but some will never change.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Location: Indiana sometimes, Or any which way the wind blows or the dispatcher sends

Well here is this ok, I have only been out here a short time and I am trying to learn things as I go. Which I have picked up a few things here and there about trucks and the engines and all that. I really am trying to learn. But there was a lot of things not covered in school as well as not in my training.
Does any one know where I can gather more info about trucks. One to where I would be more self sufficient a d two so I don't feel so much like a mushroom when I get into a conversation. I really don't like having to rely on other people for much but that seems to be the only way I learn out here. Thank you very much for your time

The past is the past. The future is the future. Treat the Present as what it is a Gift.

Keep a Happy thought in your mind and your heart can soar!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:09 AM

I hear ya. A good place to start are your owner's manuals. There is a wealth of information there, everything from how to shift to how to drive in bad weather. If the owner manuals are not in the truck, contact the dealership for that model. Have the serial # of the truck. The dealer can tell you about that particular make. Question the mechanics about the truck when you service it. Ask lots of questions, but ask the people who are in the know. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. And last but not least, the inter-net. Go into the site of the truck manufacturer you are operating. Be it International, Freightliner, Volvo, etc.

Annie :wink:
Old 02-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Board Member

mapleleaf ... it sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and a good man standing next to you ..

Quote:
Then they asked why he was looking at a truck. He told them he was just there as my husband. That I was the one looking to buy

it had to of felt wonderful just knowing that YOU were the one holding the paper work .... I would of gave anything to see the look on those boys faces ..

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-24-2007, 02:56 PM

A similar thing just happened with my wife and I. We went about 3 months ago to look at new cars to give her something to reseaerch and think about. It is her car, she's paying for it, its her decision, I am just here as her husband. I told the salesman that twice yet he still tried to sell me the car.
We went back this week to buy what she had decided on and bought it from a different salesman. Origanil guy complained that we asked for wrong salesman but he was informed why he would not get any commision for a $30,000 sale.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Board Regular

Yeah, I've been treated like that when I have gone into a dealer, they usually don't take me very seriously because I am a woman, and because I am fairly young and most people think I am a lot younger than what I am, I go in to look at a truck or to go in for service and they are like "Hey kid, are you here with your dad"
Old 02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee
Yeah, I've been treated like that when I have gone into a dealer, they usually don't take me very seriously because I am a woman, and because I am fairly young and most people think I am a lot younger than what I am, I go in to look at a truck or to go in for service and they are like "Hey kid, are you here with your dad"

I would take the young thing as a complement, mother nature has a way of taking that away from you....lol As far as the woman thing, you get to insult them back when they ask you what you want, then move to the next salesman....lol
Old 02-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm glad you left. They don't deserve the business. There was an article in my local paper today about how women hate shopping for cars because of treatment like this. It must be worse with trucks.