User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HANG-UPS OF MALE INSTRUCTORS & TRAINERS

To these emotionally reeling veterans of the current war between the sexes, women trainees are there so they can vent about their wives, their ex-wives, and their girlfriends.

I don't mean as a come-on. These men want a sob sister. Perhaps a widower is the worst.

We students pay our money, earn a CDK, get on a truck for 6 weeks, put our own complicated lives on hold - all to learn a job to make a living.

we are not there to be free therapists, sexual or otherwise.

and the men who are not 'needyz are just sarcastic, denigrating, or dismissive jerks.

how do you learn a skilled trade this way?

you grit your teeth and bear it.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Board Regular

just so you know truck drivers are not considered a skilled trade
Old 12-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Rookie

I am going to start my training Jan 8. This is a concern of mine. Wondering how the trainers that go out on the road with me are going to treat me. Looks like you didn't have a good experience. What company did you go with??
Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Board Member

if you have a problem with a trainer report it that is the only way we will ever get rid of bad trainers
Old 12-23-2006, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee
You have to have a license to practice, just like a doctor. It sure as heck is a skilled trade.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
Quote:
You have to have a license to practice, just like a doctor. It sure as heck is a skilled trade.
Your Government does not recognize a truck driver as a skilled tradesperson

You also need a licence to drive a car, or to hunt or to fish, does that make you "skilled"?

You must be a rookie, because this debate has been going on for years about how that needs to be changed, and you probably don't know that truck drivers are in the same category as migrant farm workers,

I know it should a skilled trade because this is one of the most regulated industries in the country, but until the government changes this, it is not

Your big companies like it this way because they do not have to pay you what you should be paid, companies like Schnieder can hire the unhirable and pay them a cheap rate
Old 12-23-2006, 06:05 AM
Rookie

Hey Super Trucker... thanks for the reply. I'm and old school girl and ratting on someone just isn't in me. Unless it was a direct assault on me. Then I'd probably show them why they shouldn't treat a lady like that and then tell the white shirts at the office, why their instructor wasn't showing up to work. : ). My biggest concern is how do two people of the opposite sex live in such tight quarters and stay decent about it. Even with a double bunk it has to be awkward. I just know I'm not going to sleep at all.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

kystorm ~ ~ I do understand your concerns. There real concerns. Try to remember one thing .... no company wants an harassment case, sexual or other wise. .. these company's try to put quality people in the position to represent them and train qualified people to drive their trucks. True ~ not all company's know the trainers other side when they get off the truck for a few days .... but all you need to do it first tell your finsiher that your not comfortable with their language - be it cussing or telling dirty jokes or stares. Then if they continue - call your office and ask for another finisher and 'tell' them why you want off the truck. The company will correct this in a hurry..... The company hired you because they want you to work for them ... so their going to do anything they can to assist you. ............................... When you assigned a finisher take the time to set down and have coffee and ask questions about their past experiences with driving and tell them a small bit about yourself. You should get a quick picture on their manners and values. Listen to Your Gut ... if your not comfortable with this person - go back to the office and discus with them the reasons and ask for another finsiher. .............When it comes to sleeping ... your finisher will be just as concerned as you are on this subject. .... ask them what they have found to be the best way for you two to change clothes and let them know your a modest person and insist on your privacy while dressing. Just pull the curtain and change your clothes. ... as for sleeping ... if your truly uncomfortable ... you can always keep a flashlight on the edge of your bed or something of this sort. There's always a way to make yourself feel more secure.

After being off the road for many years I've had to start back out with a Finisher - - companys rules - - - (which is fine with me) .. so I'm running with a Finisher right now. If I can be of any help to you please feel free to PM me.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You also need a licence to drive a car, or to hunt or to fish, does that make you "skilled"?
Yes, it does. You have to pass a set of skills tests to get your license. Of course, once one has one's license, one can forget all of one's skills and drive like an idiot.

Personally, the government doesn't tell me what to think. Just because they don't classify truck driving as a skilled trade doesn't mean it's not. If more people spent as much effort trying to change things as the do about bitching about them the world could be a better place.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it does. You have to pass a set of skills tests to get your license. Of course, once one has one's license, one can forget all of one's skills and drive like an idiot.

Personally, the government doesn't tell me what to think. Just because they don't classify truck driving as a skilled trade doesn't mean it's not. If more people spent as much effort trying to change things as the do about bitching about them the world could be a better place.
Did you ever look up the classification of a truck driver? A skilled trade requires an apprenticeship, just because you may do some kind of training to be a truck driver does not mean that it is a skilled trade, there are plenty of jobs that require some kind of training but that does not make them skilled trades

I am just stating the facts, that's all

I agree that people should get together and try to make some much needed changes to this industry, I think that we need to change the public perception of truck drivers

For years truck drivers have been complaining about this