User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A SERIOUS QUESTION FOR THE LADY DRIVERS....

My wife will be joining me very soon as my co-driver and she has a concern. In the past as a ride along, many times she was approached by drivers thinking she was a "lizard" (she is young and pretty good looking). She found this a bit disturbing. Is there a way to combat this???
Old 07-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Senior Board Member

We've written several opinions on 'dress attire' here ... it does make a different on the way a female is treated for the most part. Now there will always be 'jerks' out there ... that no matter what a female wears, they will have something to say to her .... Mostly because these kind of people NEVER learned respect for others ..... there will be times you will need to speak up and firmly say something to the affect of ' excuse me !~ this is my wife ... not a lizard" .............. as a female myself, I feel like if I want to wear a skirt when I'm not having to unload a trailer I should have the freedom to do so, a course I'm not speaking about a short mini skirt ... but one that goes down to her knees ... with a nice top that covers most of your chest area ..... some female drivers wear shorts during the summer and that's ok .... just stay away from short shorts .... the bottom line is dress with respect. .... Dress in a manner that the males know she is married and not advertising .... it will cut some of the trash out ....

Women should have the freedom to express themselves, because some of the males drive without shirts and etc. ... but it's more so a safety factor on the road .... there will be times she may be walking by herself in a TS and she should dress as a Professional driver .... Males will always look .... that's nature .... but unless she is dressing skimpy clothes, most of them won't say anything to her. And if they do ,,, it's always best to just ignore them .... we can't change the scum of the earth, but we can walk with pride and confidence and keep our head up high.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Board Icon

GOOD post, Roses!

Someone recently asked me if I thought it was "okay" for women to wear a skirt and blouse. I didn't feel qualified to answer. Who am "I" to say!

My answer was that I don't think it is practical when "drving" as your responsibilities include climbing over and under the dirty truck to check things. But, when off duty, in a T/S or otherwise, I think you should be able to dress as you please. Give us guys SOME credit for recognizing a LADY from a tramp! :lol:

And, give NO credit, where NO credit is due! And give these cretens no more "airtime" than those who, when you give them room to pass, probably by 'backing off,' won't even flash lights for a thank you! Some "drivers" just have no class!

And for what it's worth.... most of the trucks that I have to labour to pass, when it is expediant for all concerned that I DO, are driven by "female" drivers, who are oblivious to the rules of the road, and what is happening around them.

If a woman (OR a man) wants to BE a Trucker, DRIVE like one. Otherwise, STAY Off My Roads! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

When my wife drove with me, she dressed as she pleased. I heard some of the comments over the CB, and for the most part, I got a really good laugh out of the fools. On one ocassion, however, when she was not dressed "provocative" in any way (jeans and t-shirt), a cop asked her business at the T/S. I've seen another lady driver walk into the T/S wearing her night gown, house-coat, and fuzzy slippers. I'll admit I thought it was funny, but "lizard" never once crossed my mind.

My advice... Dress comfortable. I don't mean provocative. The "fools" will get carried away with their own imaginations no matter what you wear.

(Next week, my wife will be back with me. I don't have enough room in here to do HAND-SPRINGS...)

Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Someone recently asked me if I thought it was "okay" for women to wear a skirt and blouse. I didn't feel qualified to answer. Who am "I" to say!

My answer was that I don't think it is practical when "drving" as your responsibilities include climbing over and under the dirty truck to check things. But, when off duty, in a T/S or otherwise, I think you should be able to dress as you please.

And for what it's worth.... most of the trucks that I have to labour to pass, when it is expediant for all concerned that I DO, are driven by "female" drivers, who are oblivious to the rules of the road, and what is happening around them.
I disagree with the skirt issue, if I have a night of driving and all I have is a PTI to do then why not. As my partner put it.....we shove you ladies in a small smelly truck, park you at an equally smelly truck stop and try to make you a man. Your not and if you want to wear a skirt with a nice blouse (no slut) when your faced with nothing but driving why not. You can do a PTI and not flash everyone around you. On the other side of the coin....a pair of pants can get the same wolf whistles from you guys. Tight arse jeans are worse than me showing I have legs. Go ahead guys defend yourself on that one.

As far as when we are off duty we can wear what ever we want. You are assuming we are going to have time off that truck when we are "working" highly unlikely we have to work a little harder than you guys. Remember we have to prove our worthiness on the road.

As far as whom I'm passing ..... couldn't tell you I'm driving at night can't see in that cab and don't care just know you're in my way. But most that drive at night are men. :wink:
Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Board Regular

I agree with the skirt and nice blouse for when one is faced with 11 hours of driving is a comfortable way to go and I do so frequently here during the dog days of summer. If I am in a situation that I don't think it is good idea to be in a skirt then I will change into pants before getting out of the truck. I carry myself with confidence and I have yet had any guy accuse me of being a lizard. I agree with Bush Bunny in that we have to put up with a lot on the road. Occasionally dressing as a lady does give us a lift when the day is hard.

Soladad
Old 08-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Default some have no class

Sorry to hear that, but u will find that with drivers who have no manners..
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

My answer was that I don't think it is practical when "drving" as your responsibilities include climbing over and under the dirty truck to check things. But, when off duty, in a T/S or otherwise, I think you should be able to dress as you please.
You know I wish I could wear a skirt & blouse I'm jealous of the females I see that have them on. Flat bedding doesn't allow me to do this ..... heck my day off (when I take them) I find myself still in pants. UGH!

How to keep "the boys" in the truck stop from calling you a lizard? Carry a big stick and know how to use it.

Actually as long as you a dressed professionally most drivers you will get respect.....but then you have that group of "boys" ignore them. If she is with you walk her everywhere ..... how nice would that be, some of the "boys" are going to be jealous of you and you're wife.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Board Member

benny the deuce .... sorry if I've miss any update on your wife joining you ... my co-driver passed away yesterday and I haven't been on top of things lately. .... so what's the latest? ...

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 AM
Board Icon

for4roses,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your co-driver. We all hope that you are well. You are in our thoughts,and prayers.

http://watsonsysco.com/