User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 05:04 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Women's style of dress

I have been driving long-haul for 12 years. I wear pretty much what I want when I'm on the road. (Jeans, Ts, shorts, dresses, skirts) If approached in a negative manner, I think the best thing a woman can wear is THE LOOK!!! Ladies, you know the one that says 'Opening your mouth probably will be your first mistake'.

We work in a 'man's' world. Just keep in mind that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member

ain't no such critter as a good lookin lot lizard, pretty ones are cops. my wife just tells them she ain't no whore and they better watch their mouth. usually noone says anything anyway, she is just treated like another driver trying to get along . i pity the poor sap who actually gets out of hand. she was a bouncer in biker and indian bars for 24 years, she don't look it tho. i think there are a lot of us guys that would look at anything seeming not normal in any place we were. we ain't no angles, but there are certain rules we all gotta live by and hurting anyone else is not allowed.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: Women's style of dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmegobye
I have been driving long-haul for 12 years. I wear pretty much what I want when I'm on the road. (Jeans, Ts, shorts, dresses, skirts) If approached in a negative manner, I think the best thing a woman can wear is THE LOOK!!! Ladies, you know the one that says 'Opening your mouth probably will be your first mistake'.

We work in a 'man's' world. Just keep in mind that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Rookie

there will always be little boys with big toys,, and if all they can think about of a ladie driver is she's a lizzzzard or whore then they will never be more that streering wheel holders,, Yes we as ladies have to work 2-3 times harder specially those of us who solo drive because we have to prove that we can do this job and actually do it better , safer and take beeter care of the equipment, it is a man's profession and always will be, no matter what is said be a professional, keep your speach clean carry your self as a ladie, wear makeup, dresses skirts shorts tshirts nice shirts just because this is a dirty job doesnt mean we have to sink to their level and befowl ourselves and all it took for us to get the title Lady Driver class A cdl. Be Safe Be aware of your surrounding always
May the Creater of all things watch over and keep us safe as we make each trip , let us finish each day with the knowledge that the loads were delivered and no one in our path was harmed or ourselves. May you always have blue skys to light your day.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Board Regular

women will always receive negative comments in this industry but i am so sick of women drivers who go and look for attention they talk stupid on the radio, flash their "hooters", drive naked because they want attention, and even prostitute themselves i have seen and heard all of these things, i try not to bring attention to myself when i am on the road because i have been followed into rest areas and cornered by other drivers, i won't even go into rest areas at night anymore, it doesn't surprise me one bit that women drivers don't get any respect because of the way some of them act, i agree that dressing appropriately while on the job is important
Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 PM

I am still finishing school, and in my class there is one female, that I have become friends with. I help her out a lot both in class and in the truck, she calls me here mentor, LOL.

Getting to my point, I think women in trucking is cool, I have been told by various educators and pro truckers that the industry is changing and most of the pond scum you talk about will be extinct.

All I can say is that, with so much negativity towards men, based on their pig like actions, do I even dare to say hi to a female trucker I may meet one day at a truck stop.

Is a rest area and a truck stop two different places?

"Hundreds of miles rolled off today.
Signs lose their meaning, minutes tick away.
Dirt roads to interstates, I must have drove them all.
Cigarettes and burgers, caffeine and alcohol."
Old 11-09-2006, 02:33 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Board Regular

I wear skirts only and have been treated very well. I think it's all in how you carry yourself. I NEVER WEAR PANTS. My attitude is I'm a female and don't need to look like a male to drive a truck. Men will always hit on the females. There's only 5 women for every 95 men out here. If you're attractive you will be hit on.

Although, I suppose the alternative would be worse-never getting attention. You'd know you were not attractive at all. At least that's the way I deal with attention. I used to get violently upset when men stared at me or made comments. A male friend of mine said, "hey if no one paid attention to you you'd know you weren't attractive." So that's how I deal with attention. I've become really good at comebacks.

Frankly, if women don't want attention, they are in the wrong profession. With that many men and very few females WE WILL GET ATTENTION. Imagine a profession with 95 females and 5 males per 100 people. It would be the inverse.

No I do not wear skirts to get attention either. I was an Accountant and still am more "white collar" in appearance. That's what I was used to wearing and am not changing my dress code due to my profession. I did driveaway for 19 months and still wore skirts. When I'd get to a dealership or trucking company I would put on my "work clothes" and take the trucks apart. Therefore, it is not necessary to wear pants.

I think you're treated in accordance with how you carry yourself. I never go bra-less nor would I. I get to use restrooms when they won't let the males go in. I think it's simply due to how I dress and carry myself.

There isn't many benefits to being a female in trucking but using a bathroom when you'll have to go to a port-o-potty is a definite plus in my opinion
Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 PM

How could you get away with wearing skirts driving a truck? :shock: The guys would LOVE it if I did that, but I have to do other things on my job besides sit behind the wheel. Like climb up to the top of my bulk tank to shut the lid. The guys don't have any less respect for you if you are wearing "men's" clothes, but if you really want to stand out, I say wear a skirt. :roll:
Old 12-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Board Regular

I guess some women drivers want the attention, I have seen some women who I'm sure their only reason for driving is to get attention

all I wear is jeans, t-shirts, boots, I have long waist length hair but I always keep it tied up, the guys that I work with always treat me with respect, like one of the guys,

When I recieve comments or compliments from drivers on the road I just ignore it because I want to show them that I'm out here to do a job and I'm not just some stupid floozy and it always works. After they realize that I am not like that they will talk to me in a more respectful way

My male friends make fun of the women who try to get attention if that tells you anything about how these guys think

I don't even wear skirts when I'm not working, but I am 100% tomboy, I don't even own a skirt