User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

:shock: I work, for awhile, (2yrs for TMC. I agree with the, bosses at TMC,,"Women have NO place in flatbed." It takes a great deal of streght(?) tarping and straping loads, correctly. Most women cannot do this job, and if the male drivers, that have done flatbed work would, "keep it real, and tell the TRUTH, and STOP just laying down in order to please the women on this site," you, yourselves, would KNOW that women, have NO PLACE in flatbed work. I am not trying to dis-repect any woman. All i'm trying to do is, KEEP IT REAL.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM

i once drove flatbed tow truck and let me tell you it is difficult to strap in all weather conditions its always harder as a woman, cheater bars help but it is still harder, tarping can be difficult for anyone especdially if you are alone and i will say that i found to actual driving and manouvering of the bed alot easier than moving one with walls, that clear vision is a blessing. Take a chance though find someone to go on a ride along with and hopefully you can pick a nasty weather day so you can get a taste of what its really like before you make the decision for yourself.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfox
:shock: I work, for awhile, (2yrs for TMC. I agree with the, bosses at TMC,,"Women have NO place in flatbed." It takes a great deal of streght(?) tarping and straping loads, correctly. Most women cannot do this job, and if the male drivers, that have done flatbed work would, "keep it real, and tell the TRUTH, and STOP just laying down in order to please the women on this site," you, yourselves, would KNOW that women, have NO PLACE in flatbed work. I am not trying to dis-repect any woman. All i'm trying to do is, KEEP IT REAL.

BS!!!

the WOMAN!

that tought me to drive a truck to begin with, was a solo flatbedder for 15 years solid. she was no bigger than 5 feet tall and skinnier than a wire.

woman can flat bed just as easy as a man, i know some flatbedders that are men that are over weight and have no business on a flat.

My girlfriend is on the truck with me day and nght and she lifts lumber tarps up on the deck by herself, can strap, cradle and throw and run a wench bar, and she only been out here with me two months.

so stop beig predjudiced and shovenistic.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Rookie

I'll stand with Rokk on this.....but geezzzz this thread is two years old and you are still beating the dead horse?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with you on the age of the thread, but I'm going to have to stand with Rokk on this one.

I'm a DRIVER INSTRUCTOR for a flatbed company. I was a lease-operator that did quite well before being asked to come inside the office, thankyouverymuch. I can toss a 90lb lumber tarp better than many of the men that come in - strap, chain and bind as well.

I'm 5'6" tall, and TMC didn't think I was "flatbedding material" because I didn't have a Y chromosome. I'd say I get an average of 2-3 women a month into my classes, and most all of them are more than capable.

Arrow's November '07 Driver of the Month was a woman!

As for cheater pipes -

Cheater pipes are NOT needed - in fact, if you put a cheater pipe on a winch bar, you're asking to get seriously hurt out there. All it takes is 100 lbs of force at the end of a 24" bar to properly tighten your equipment - many men over tighten their load securement causing damage to the product, and premature failure of the load devices.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Board Regular

Well, as most y'all know i just spent 2 months on a Swift flatbed and i loved it. by the time i got off the truck i could throw the tarps as well as any of the guys i met driving skateboards, and could tie down just as well. So once things get moving for me again i will definitely go flatbed. We hauled a box for 4 days at one point and theres not enough money out there to make me do it again. Flatbed rules!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfox

:roll: Geez, next thing you know they'll be wanting to vote.

A woman flatbedder and I pulled into the shipper at the same time, got loaded at the same time, strapped/tarped at the same time and hit the road at the same time.
She was about my age (let’s say 40ish…but I look 30ish :wink: ), 6” shorter and about 40 lbs lighter and she had some heavy vinyl coated tarps.
Both of us agreed it was flatbeds or nothing at all.
When I see a woman flatbedder I think “good for her, don’t take crap from anybody lady”
Old 05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Rookie
Default women flatbedders

I am a woman and I started out pulling a flat/dropdeck in the oilfield in south Louisiana. I was one of the first females in my area to do so. Right now there are maybe 4/5 women on the big trucks, pulling oilfield equipment.I quickly earned respect from the guys because I got out there , chained/strapped/binded my own loads with out asking for (or expecting) any help from anyone else. In my years as a driver, I have driven local and OTR, pulled reefers, vans ,flats, drops, dumps and bulk tanks. The power units were F-L, Mack,Pete and a W-9L. GIRLS, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO DO!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Rookie

We can not count how many guy, just know that it's not so many.