User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Been pulling flat bed/step deck for 10 years, never learned anything else in the industry.

Hard work....can be, tarping....done by myself, forklifts we usually place the tarps on top but if they don't I can get them up there. :wink:

Rewarding work...you betcha.

It will keep you shape and if you're not one to get dirty it's not going to be your niche.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Senior Board Member

pronghornracer .... what's the latest? Have you made any decisions on flatbed or van? .... If this is something that your pulled toward ... pulling a flatbed .... then go for it :!: . You won't know until you've tried it - if it's for you or not .... I've met a couple of Ladies that pull flatbed and they do just fine .... they enjoy working hard and the feeling of accomplishment when their rolling down the road .... Me .. I've always pulled a reefer or van ... I'm not physically able to do the tarping and etc that goes with flatbeds. ........... So if you want to try it .... I say .... go for it !! You can always go to vans and reefers later.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 AM

Well, here is the latest.....
I thought I would try out for flatbed, so I applied for Maverick.
They sent me a bus ticket, got there Saturday and I showed up for orientation on Sunday.
There were probably about 30 guys there, and I was the only woman.
Orientation on Sunday was really long, we started at 7:30 and didn't get out until 7:30-8:00pm at night.
They discussed the company, and we watched videos, took tests, filled out paperwork, and had a log book assignment for the next day.
Monday we had to be there at 6:30am for drug testing, D.O.T. physical,
interviews, strength/agility tests.
Sooo......I had a drug/dot test, went to an interview, came back to the main building. They had us filling out more paperwork, took our blood pressure ....again...because most of us had drank coffee that morning. I
guess that it raises your blood pressure or something.
Then we had to do all kinds of stretching, they took measurements of everything, they examined your spine, knees, everything. We had to do grip tests, cardio tests, strength tests, weight tests.
Then we had to show them that we could get on /off the trailer safely. We
had to get on a 5 foot something box that was on the trailer, and off of it safely. We had to get in/ out of the cab of a truck safely. We had to walk a plank/ or narrow piece of the trailer that was on the floor....I guess a balance test.
Also, we had to put a rolled up tarp on the back of the trailer.
They said put it up there, any way that you can.

So...we were lined up doing the weight tests; one of them consisted of
a box/crate with handles on the top of the box, and on the bottom.
The lady conducting the tests would put sand bags in this box, and you
would have to lift it, once using the top handle and once using the bottom handle, she said lift as much as you can, you have to be able to lift a certain amount, which was supposed to be the minimum amount of whatever the required amount was, but she couldn't disclose how much it was.
Well, a couple of guys went first in front of me, and they would lift what she had in the box, and she would ask them, do you want 10 or 20 more pounds added, she kept adding weight as they would ask for it, but before it was said and done, you lifted this thing twice each time as weight was added. The guys in front of me had one or two bags left on the table.
Then it was my turn, she put a few bags in, and I squatted down and lifted it twice, she added 20lbs, and I lifted it 2 more times, she added 20
more and I did it again, asked me if I wanted more, and I added a small 10lb one...and that's as far as I went. I still had a few left on the table, a couple of 20's and a couple of 10's.
Then I went out to lift the tarp on the trailer...well I was still a little tired
from lifting the box of weights, but I gave it a try. I lifted the tarp up to
the bumper, but I couldn't get it on the trailer. So, I sat down to take a rest. I asked the other lady if I could unroll it, and she said "any way you can get it up there"
So, I unrolled it half way, and got it up there one section at a time, took it down and did it again.
I did the trailer, and the box test, and the other tests with no problem.
Then that other lady called me back in and said that I could not qualify for the position, because I didn't lift enough weight.
Needless to say, I wasn't real happy.
So, I went out to the lounge, and was talking with a couple of other guys,
who also were disqualified. One guy missed it by 5lbs. According to him,
the qualifing weight that you had to lift was 140lbs. I was like... "Good grief!"...Why would you have to lift that much weight? Couldn't you get the forklift driver to help you with whatever it was?
Another guy, whom was a re-hire, he had worked there for 2 years, quit for a couple of years and came back was also disqualified, because that lady felt something in his knee that didn't feel right. He has to go get checked out by a doctor. He said he never had any knee trouble. He also said that they never this type of testing when he was there before; used to, all you had to take was a drug test, and you made it in. I asked him
if he ever had to lift anything that was 140lbs, and he said he didn't ever remember doing so.
So, after a long bus ride, I am home again trying to figure out what to do next. I need to find another job soon, before I forget what I've learned.
I'm going to research a few more companies. I'm still interested in flat bed, but I'm wondering if they are all going to be that way. I'm going to check into a few of the other types as well.
So....this is where I stand.

pronghornracer
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Rookie
Default Women in Flatbed

pronghornracer I am soooooo grateful that you posted your experience with Maverick! I'm female and am interested in learning flatbedding. I don't see why they wanted to see who could lift more weight than necessary. I think that's ridiculous! I could see if they had an actual tarp that weighed that amount but.....Well, seems like I can scratch them off of my list of companies to look at.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Board Regular

These companies... :shock: :roll: :x

I do have a tarp that weighs nearly that, but I NEVER lift it. I roll it out of the box and point, someone with a forklift picks it up. When I take it off, I roll it up, roll it to the box and lift one end of it to get it started in the box, then the other end...

I'm 5'4" and doubt that I will ever pull another trailer with doors. I started out with flats 15 years ago and have tried everything else along the way b4 going back to open equipment. Have a stepdeck now, shopping for an RGN just for a change of scenery. My biggest disadvantage is a strong fear of heights that I have to deal with, it's dumb, but I can't convince my mind/body not to react no matter how long I've been doing this. I just take my time.

I think taking your time and having to think to accomplish things makes you safer. I see way too many people with too much testosterone rushing around, picking things up wrong and taking chances I would never take... I've seen a lot of them get hurt too.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I've just started my flatbed career... and bought the truck to boot. I'm with Truckdobe on the tarp issue - I roll it around or drag it to where I need it, then use the forklift operators to lift it where needed. Winches and binders are not hard to deal with if you're working smart - and no, you probably won't even need a cheater pipe over your winch bar. 8) My boyfriend thought I would, and my trainer called him a moron and showed me how to properly secure my binders with very little effort.

I'll never go back to yanking vans - flatbedding is my way of life!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Default How many women drive a flatbed?

Well,... I think I'm going to give Roehl a try
and see what happens....at least I'll have more options
if nothing else...

pronghornracer
Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Pronghornracer

Thanks for the informative comments on your orientation.

Good luck in your search. Roel seems to get high marks here.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Rookie

You may agree or disagree, as you see fit. BUT, TMC is worth a close look. I've never seen one-piece tarps on their loads. Smaller tarps; easier to handle. Something like half-size, if I recall. 75 lbs tops?

For the ultimate flat-bed, no tarp. Gulf coast states, hauling oil-field equipment.

For the ultimate pucker-factor leaving you with a seat cushion embedded, Gulf coast states. Those 4-wheelin' folks seem to think a big rig can stop on a dime.

If you're hauling pipe, you need a headache rack 3 times normal thickness to save you.

On the bright side, the food in the little Mom 'n' Pop restaurants can't be beat.

'specially in Cajun country!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:57 AM