User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I think I would like flatbeds. I wouldn't mind the tarping much. But I would be worried about the height of some of the loads you would have to climb up on. I'm not afraid of heights, but it seems like theres a big risk of falling with flatbeds; and i fear i'd hurt my back and I'd be in so much pain for the rest of my life. I know that could happen with anything, but it seems like the risk is much greater with flatbedding.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam9315
I think I would like flatbeds. I wouldn't mind the tarping much. But I would be worried about the height of some of the loads you would have to climb up on. I'm not afraid of heights, but it seems like theres a big risk of falling with flatbeds; and i fear i'd hurt my back and I'd be in so much pain for the rest of my life. I know that could happen with anything, but it seems like the risk is much greater with flatbedding.

There are now, a number of shippers that have an overhead track with a rope and safety harness. If you fall off the load, you only go down about a foot. Then hang in mid-air until you can get your footing back. If you go down slow, like climbing off the load, it does not stop you.

On other loads, if you're careful, you have no reason to fall.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, most shippers don't have a harness to use. I think it would be a good idea for all of them to have a harness if they want you to tarp a high load. You just need to be very careful. :shock:
Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 AM

I drive flatbed with my husband. I load, he unloads. Yes the tarps are heavy you just have to be smarter then the tarp. Only twice have I had to lift the tarp myself, this is what I did. First you partially unroll the tarp, then lift this now smaller and lighter part up to the load (a ladder is essential) make sure you have enough lifted so that the tap stays on the load. Now climb up on the load and pull the rest up in smaller lighter pulls.

As for strapping and chaining use body weight to get them snug. Also think of the math, if you have on strap tightened to say 200 foot pounds (a made up number for purposes of illustration) each addition strap or chain adds to that. In other words as you add straps or chains you increase the downward pressure irregardless of the total tighness of each, as long as each is tight. I have never had a load shift and yes I strap the crap out of it cause I know how crazy I drive! :lol:
Old 07-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Board Icon

When I got home last week, there was a rather nice looking young lady dropping her flatbed at the same place. I didn't get to talk to her very long because we were both wanted to get home as soon as we could. She has been pulling flats for more than five years now, and would not consider going back to reefers.

The only thing I see that would stand in the way of a woman pulling a flatbed is the woman herself. ("I could never do that.") and she never will.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

What cured me of thinking of pulling flatbeds was when I saw a guy on the side of the road in very strong winds being whipped up in the air and then plopped down in the middle of the highway.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 AM
Rookie
Default Women in Flatbed

Well, I'm a woman,24, 5'6, 175lbs........and I've just completed my first day of training with a flatbed company, called TDT. I've never done flatbed. I will say this..it's definately a lot of work. Throwing the straps over, and getting the tarp perfect wtih the bungee cords....and then getting on top of the load, which they do mosty lumber, and home depot freight, and making sure the straps are straight. It was hard work, out in the heat definately. But, I'll be home everynight, and on a dedicated run which is great miles and right by my house every day. My hands are a little raw as well, lol....I've done nothing but dump trailers and Van's before...so this is a new challenge. I kinda like it......................

Blair
Old 07-22-2006, 01:27 PM

I drive a covered wagon for Falcon and like that much better than a flatbed. Quiker and easier to deal with a covered wagon. There have been a couple times I've had to tear ut down into a total flat but that is rare.
Go with Falcon and they will get you into a covered wagon in a short time , if you want.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Rookie

I pull fb with my husband and would never go back to reefer. Usually M-F drops and pickups. Receivers are usually happy to see you. Infrequent overweight problems. I just like the atmosphere better.

I will say though, when we did first switch over I thought we were crazy after our first tarp load. A tarp job which now would take us about an hour took us 4 hours to do. The shippers just said lock up when you leave, cause they were tired of waiting around After it was all said and done I laid down in the parking lot and would have cried if I'd had the energy, even the back of my thumbs hurt. Did you even know you have muscles in the back of your thumbs!

Two years later, I'm in better shape than I have been in years. We're quick, effecient and safe.

But if I were out here by myself I'd do covered wagon or drop deck and get into carrying heavy equipment where you mainly only have to chain but not tarp.

The strapping and chaining's not bad but during summer or winter the tarping sucks if your doing it by yourself.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:36 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahtumbreez
I pull fb with my husband and would never go back to reefer. Usually M-F drops and pickups. Receivers are usually happy to see you. Infrequent overweight problems. I just like the atmosphere better.
This is something I have found to be very true. On the average, you find a MUCH better attitude at the shippers and receivers when pulling a flatbed. Try it one time, and you'll NEVER want to deal with the attitude at a food warehouse again.