Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default RckyMtnProTrckr Sunglasses

For paranoidandroid ears:
http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/...shape_sort.jsp

For cheaper sunglasses
http://www.onlinesunglasses.net/educ...=en&lr=lang_en

ref.: How Sunglasses Work by Jeff Tyson

"The style of the frame and size of the lenses also make a difference. Is that $200 pair of Serengeti sunglasses really any better than a $10 pair from the flea market?"

Even if polarized, tinted, etc. -
"When you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, you often give up all of these benefits and can even make things worse. For example, if your sunglasses offer no UV protection, you increase your exposure to UV rays. The cheap sunglasses block some of the light, causing your iris to open to allow more light in. This lets in more of the UV light as well, increasing the damage UV light can cause to the retina"

There is a lot more on this site:
Mauii Jims and other top makers offer 100% and other percentage UV protection.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Spotters are the best bet for driving in the elements. They are great in rain, snow and sun. Worth the price and you can get them in prescription.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:07 PM

maui jim or persol
Old 03-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Rookie
Default Sunglasses

I drive in California. The San joquin valley has bad glare most of the time. I tried the 12$ polorized glasses and got tired of them pretty quick. I went to Costco and picked out a pair of Maui Jim Polarized glasses... with glass lenses not that crap polycarbonate. No scratches and correct optical view... Your choise should be Maui Jim or Ray Ban.... But make your choise glass lense not plastic or you may be sorry!!!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Rookie

If you get $12 glasses then you get what you pay for. I once had Maui Jim and I also tried a pair of Blueblockers. Both pair just drive the color out of your picture. You can't see anything in detail.

Now Spotters may cost more, but man are they worth it. The detail and color enhancement you see with the Penetrator lens is just amazing. They are polarized so all the haze and glare disappears. The llens is photochromic so you can keep them on all day. You can wear them in any type of sunlight.

They are a glass lens so they don't scratch and they are very very durable. I would never drive without them.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:56 AM
Rookie
Default Alright, don't laugh........

I own Maui Jim Kahuna's, 3 pairs. I use them all for different purposes. The amber lenses are to reduce glare but let in a lot of light. The rose lenses reduce the light nicely and are best "all around". The charcoal lenses are for extreme conditions, like sunlight glaring off of snow for miles and miles, the headaches disappeared after I got these.
I know they are expensive but worth every penny, you only have one set of eyes and in our business even minor failure is catastrophic so take damn good care of them. You can save money on Maui Jim's the following ways: Buy a used pair off eBay to test them out, you can get decent ones for $100.00 and new for as low as $140.00, be aware of fakes and only buy from a reputable dealer, these are quotes on the Kahuna frames, other frames are cheaper. In our business sunglasses are deductible, just get a receipt and a good accountant. I look at my sunglasses as investments, I bought my first pair over 10 years ago (amber) and still have them today. This is a quality product that lasts.
No, I am not an employee of Maui Jim, I just know a good thing when I see it. (Pun intended) Visit the Maui Jim website and compare against the Oakley plastic lenses, I think you will be enlightened. If you need me to spell out the website addy just message me.
My father, also a trucker, had bifocals by the time he was 40. The technology wasn't there for his sunglasses so he had to make due. I am a year off of his bifocal age and still have 20/20.
Alright, I will get off my soapbox now. I hope this helps everyone.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Rookie

I also was a Maui Jim fan, until I tried Spotters. Now all I need is one pair. Like the ad says, "all day, every day all weather." You don't need to spend the money for three pairs, if you get one pair of Spotters.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I had a pair of Maui Jim's for a few years until a little while ago I was a dumbass and left them on top of my friends car .. as we drove off, they fell, the rear wheels caught em. They were crushed, I was crushed.

I prefer the rose lenses, the frames feel great and the optical quality is amazing. I see no reason to even try anything else and before that I was a pretty big fan of Vuarnet's back in the 80's but they are kinda hard to find these days. Regardless, Maui Jim's are better. They were by far the best sunglasses I ever had.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Rookie

I picked up a trucker's magazine at a truck stop one day and saw an ad for a nice pair of those amber-vision type sunglasses and misplaced the magazine somewhere. Anyone ever see that ad and can tell me the name of 'em?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:33 AM

I've got to have a good pair of shades for driving and also keep a spare set in the truck in case I forget them.

For the last several years it's been Ray Ban Wayfarers, They have polarized glass lenses with a heavy duty frame. I've never had a hinge give me a problem with several sets I've owned. I'm old school and so is their style so that's fine with me. 8)