Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Superior Carriers and Carry Transit (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/30827-superior-carriers-carry-transit.html)

Cyanide 02-05-2008 02:17 AM

Skywalker, er, Grandpa wrote:
Quote:

I mean, afterall....if you can lay around down there in Jax....
That's right, and don't you fuggettaboudit jerky!!! :P

Yep, I'm still laying around at home. I was originally going to leave out this weekend, but changed my mind and I ended up taking an extra couple days off. Really breaks my heart that I'm taking more time off and not out there burning up the road like some other drivers out there let me tell ya :roll:. Especially since my son and I are really enjoying the extra time together... Damn, life is so rough. Who says you can't have fun and enjoy your job doing this :lol:

Y'all take care out there. I'll be back later :wink:

harleypiper 02-05-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Hey Carlos...did I see you dropping down through Kentucky this morning??

That may have been me. I was heading to Alabama. I just got back from a 2900 mile cruise in 6 days. Now I'm hanging out and going to do some local work for the week, commitments this week so I guess I'll do some slacking. Only 3 mos. with the company, getting great miles and learning the slacking end of it as well. ahahahaha. I think 1 year up north and I'm going to try and switch to a terminal in S.C. or GA. I need some heat and some Harley riding all year round. Well back to those beers. Ciao All

Skywalker 02-05-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide
Skywalker, er, Grandpa wrote:
Quote:

I mean, afterall....if you can lay around down there in Jax....
That's right, and don't you fuggettaboudit jerky!!! :P

Ooooooh, thats gonna cost you some Bar-b-q!! Getting a little feisty sitting around nowadays? Hey, I looked at that post on the "other" forum....saw what you meant.....kinda SOS/SSDD......man has that site become a "snakepit"!! Alot of those people need to be tattooed with this...front and back: :withstupid:

Even going on that site left me a little "nauseated"......

Cyanide 02-06-2008 02:06 AM

Skywalker...

Just threw 'em a nice reply that oughtta get the pot stirred real good. What a bunch of morons! :lol:

DD60 02-06-2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

Skywalker...

Just threw 'em a nice reply that oughtta get the pot stirred real good. What a bunch of morons! :lol:

Not really. :lol:

Cyanide 02-06-2008 03:45 AM

Yeah really! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DD60 02-06-2008 04:01 AM

man has that site become a "snakepit"!!

Didn't have a welcomed visit,did you? :lol:

Cyanide 02-06-2008 05:40 AM

Truck Net

Been on that site a number of years and it has just gotten worse and worse. It's turned into a matter of "I make more...", "I do better than you...", "You're stupid for doing what you do...""You'll fail because you don't make x amount per mile..." blah blah blah. It's no longer the place to get really good info about this industry, unless it's negative info. I could give a rat's azz about a "welcomed visit", and I'm sure Skywalker feels the same. :lol: I'm not here (or there) for a warm fuzzy and group hugs.

Detroit 60, ooops, I mean DD60, I'm happy with what I do, my family is happy with what I do, and our needs are met. News flash, that's all that matters. But you and others like you just simply will not accept that fact. It's always the same beating drum with you people. You seem to think there's no way someone can be successful and happy working the way I do. Who cares if my family and I are happy and provided for, because some know-it-all idiot on an internet message board says there's no way it will work because I don't make a certain $$$ per mile figure, and because he's been doing it for so much longer than I, or did it for ages and retired!

:wink:

DD60 02-06-2008 05:50 AM

Detroit 60, ooops, I mean DD60, I'm happy with what I do, my family is happy with what I do, and our needs are met.

I agree,that is what really matters. However there are carriers that don't haul hazmat or tanker and don't have the expense of 5k tanker equipment and pay over 1.18 a mile. Not by much,but with hauling tankers I would think the rates would be much higher. Have you looked into Quality Carriers? A couple of guys claimed to do really well there on their percentage deal,but if you are happy with where you are now than more power to you. What you do with your truck or how much you haul for is your business,but don't expect not to be criticized on an open forum when you bring those kind of numbers up. ESPECIALLY "over there". :lol:

mike3fan 02-06-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD60
Detroit 60, ooops, I mean DD60, I'm happy with what I do, my family is happy with what I do, and our needs are met.

I agree,that is what really matters. However there are carriers that don't haul hazmat or tanker and don't have the expense of 5k tanker equipment and pay over 1.18 a mile. Not by much,but with hauling tankers I would think the rates would be much higher. Have you looked into Quality Carriers? A couple of guys claimed to do really well there on their percentage deal,but if you are happy with where you are now than more power to you. What you do with your truck or how much you haul for is your business,but don't expect not to be criticized on an open forum when you bring those kind of numbers up. ESPECIALLY "over there". :lol:

Quality Carriers? are you kidding? bawawaha :shock:

DD60 02-06-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

Quality Carriers? are you kidding? bawawaha :shock:

Dana Transport? :?

Skywalker 02-06-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

man has that site become a "snakepit"!!

Didn't have a welcomed visit,did you? :lol:

Didn't expect one....never did, never will. Given the mental talents of some of the erstwhile "denizens" and "life" authorities that spend the majority of their waking moments on those forums.....I really expect very little from the site as a whole.

I've visited that site over the past ten years....at one time it was good, even enjoyable, as well as informative.....not any more. Like I said... its a "snakepit" rife with malcontents, losers, fakes....and disaffected wannabe's. I've often thought that certain of the "poster's" were just inmates in a psycho ward who had internet access.

Back when Bedspread and Ziggy were on the site....we used to have some fun....had some hellacious rows and conversations....but the difference between now and then...."they" actually could and would back up their claims with verifiable fact. They did not attack on a personal basis, and all in all....it was actually a good source for "solid information".
Not now....pretty much a group of "I'm better, smarter, yada, yada types" that make bold statements but mysteriously run like little girls chased by a snake when put to the wall to back up their guff.

Trust me....not going there is no sweat off my ass. I rather prefer using my time "productively" doing things that are beneficial to me or those around me. Life is too short to waste it on stupid and ugly people. 8)

Skywalker 02-06-2008 09:34 PM

QUALITY CARRIERS?? Uh, no....not on your life, even if you bought the truck and let me keep all of the revenue. You apparently haven't spoken to the same O/O's I have. Can you say "bottomfeeder"? I'll let it go at that.

Dana/Suttles....probably ok. Don't know too much about them...they are kinda low profile and rarely do I see their drivers except occasionally.

I'll be a nice guy and sort something out for you... when Cyanide says he makes $1.18 a mile.....he is arriving at that figure based on every inch that tractor moves....each and every last inch is included. He's not counting just revenue producing miles and deadhead miles to tankwashes and terminals, he's including the miles he puts on the tractor no matter where he goes. Got it? 8)

Whats interesting about Superior Carriers....is that we have IC's (O/O's) who have been leased on to the company for 20 or more years. Every one of them that I have spoken to is happy, making a good living, and driving tractors I would love to drive.... There's got to be a reason..... and its simple: They make a darn good living here at Superior, as do we company drivers. 8)

BHG0069 02-06-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
QUALITY CARRIERS?? Uh, no....not on your life, even if you bought the truck and let me keep all of the revenue. You apparently haven't spoken to the same O/O's I have. Can you say "bottomfeeder"? I'll let it go at that.

Dana/Suttles....probably ok. Don't know too much about them...they are kinda low profile and rarely do I see their drivers except occasionally.

I'll be a nice guy and sort something out for you... when Cyanide says he makes $1.18 a mile.....he is arriving at that figure based on every inch that tractor moves....each and every last inch is included. He's not counting just revenue producing miles and deadhead miles to tankwashes and terminals, he's including the miles he puts on the tractor no matter where he goes. Got it? 8)

Whats interesting about Superior Carriers....is that we have IC's (O/O's) who have been leased on to the company for 20 or more years. Every one of them that I have spoken to is happy, making a good living, and driving tractors I would love to drive.... There's got to be a reason..... and its simple: They make a darn good living here at Superior, as do we company drivers. 8)

Let all the haters hate. We here at Superior Carriers know what kind of place we work. I almost don't wanna tell people about us because someone might Fuk it up.

I have not talked to ONE SINGLE DRIVER who was unhappy with Superior Carriers. Thats a pretty bold statement in Truckin.

Thank you Skywalker and Cyanide. I owe both of you guys lunch and dinner every time I see you 8)

BHG0069 02-06-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what site is "over there", can you post a link?? I am curious as to what the fuss is about.

Skywalker 02-06-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHG0069
Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but what site is "over there", can you post a link?? I am curious as to what the fuss is about.

trucknet :x

Skywalker 02-06-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHG0069
Thank you Skywalker and Cyanide. I owe both of you guys lunch and dinner every time I see you 8)

You may one day regret saying that..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Cyanide and I one day literally "freaked out" a waitress or two at "Carry Hilliard's" in Savannah.....they couldn't believe that the two of us could eat that much!! Neither one of us is overweight....but we can both "eat"! Ask Cyanide....he'll tell you....he got to pay the bill. 8) But I made it up to him later....

mike3fan 02-06-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

But I made it up to him later....

not touching that one with a ten foot pole....... 8)

DD60 02-06-2008 10:38 PM

when Cyanide says he makes $1.18 a mile.....he is arriving at that figure based on every inch that tractor moves....each and every last inch is included. He's not counting just revenue producing miles and deadhead miles to tankwashes and terminals, he's including the miles he puts on the tractor no matter where he goes. Got it?

Balance that with all operating costs associated with owning the truck and what do you have left?

Skywalker 02-06-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

when Cyanide says he makes $1.18 a mile.....he is arriving at that figure based on every inch that tractor moves....each and every last inch is included. He's not counting just revenue producing miles and deadhead miles to tankwashes and terminals, he's including the miles he puts on the tractor no matter where he goes. Got it?

Balance that with all operating costs associated with owning the truck and what do you have left?

Asked and answered.....guess you "missed it". 8)

DD60 02-06-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No,I didn't miss it. It would be too low of a figure for me to work with,but like I said before,to each their own.

mbadriver 02-06-2008 11:03 PM

You can also buy a truck from Superior for $15K. With that investment you are evaluating the underlying financial fundamentals in weeks/months instead of years. Low investment = low risk = not much to worry about = enjoying a few extra days at home.

I have not take the time to read all your posts on this subject. But, it seems you may be missing the point with respect to Carlos' goals.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No,I didn't miss it. It would be too low of a figure for me to work with,but like I said before,to each their own.

Skywalker 02-06-2008 11:06 PM

Actually, while you are entirely free to exercise your opinion....like the rest of us, I fail to see where you actually have a problem, considering the following:

Oct. 8th to Dec. 31st, 2007
Gross: $31,803.78
Total fixed and variable expenses: $20,462.93
Taxable Net: $11,340.85
Hub Miles: 27,678 (ALL ODOMETER miles off-duty and on-duty.)
Avg.: $.409/mile
Days Working: 52
Days Off: 33

Regardless of cpm or anything else, the most salient factor is simply that in an 11 week period, during which he took off 33 days, he still "netted" $11,340.85....which in true "truckers math" that being applying the $$ only to days or weeks worked.... he made $11,340.85 in 7.5 weeks, or $1512.11 for each week worked. Not bad after all expenses.

Since you're such a "high-roller"...suppose you post your numbers? Or are you "sceeeered"?

Oh, never mind that had he done it like a true lease slave or indentured O/O with a supertruck....and had he stayed out incessantly for the entire 11 weeks ....he would have netted $16333.21 for 11 weeks. Oh, and lets not forget what time of year this was....with major holidays and slowdowns involved.. Lets take it just one step farther... if he was to do it true "chickenhauler/truckdweller" style....for 52 weeks out of the year, that would net him $78,629.72. But he has other priorities and isn't going to do that. 8)

While you might declare $3.00+ to be your revenue....thats wonderful, but for how many miles? 3 X 100 is only 300. 10 X 30 is 300. SO, the reality is that without some forthcoming exposure of your actual and realistic numbers....the situation remains: Opinions are like assholes, and you have one too.....but the difference lies in the fact that yours lacks substance 8)

Your numbers, please?"

Skywalker 02-06-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

But I made it up to him later....

not touching that one with a ten foot pole....... 8)

Get your mind out of the gutter Mike..... :D :D :D If you must know, my wife and I took him out to eat a couple of weeks later and we picked up the tab.....and he wasn't bashful that time either. :shock:

DD60 02-06-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Actually, while you are entirely free to exercise your opinion....like the rest of us, I fail to see where you actually have a problem, considering the following:

Regardless of cpm or anything else, the most salient factor is simply that in an 11 week period, during which he took off 33 days, he still "netted" $11,340.85....which in true "truckers math" that being applying the $$ only to days or weeks worked.... he made $11,340.85 in 7.5 weeks, or $1512.11 for each week worked. Not bad after all expenses.

Since you're such a "high-roller"...suppose you post your numbers? Or are you "sceeeered"?

Oh, never mind that had he done it like a true lease slave or indentured O/O with a supertruck....and had he stayed out incessantly for the entire 11 weeks ....he would have netted $16333.21 for 11 weeks. Oh, and lets not forget what time of year this was....with major holidays and slowdowns involved.. Lets take it just one step farther... if he was to do it true "chickenhauler/truckdweller" style....for 52 weeks out of the year, that would net him $78,629.72. But he has other priorities and isn't going to do that. 8)

While you might declare $3.00+ to be your revenue....thats wonderful, but for how many miles? 3 X 100 is only 300. 10 X 30 is 300. SO, the reality is that without some forthcoming exposure of your actual and realistic numbers....the situation remains: Opinions are like assholes, and you have one too.....but the difference lies in the fact that yours lacks substance 8)

Your numbers, please?"

Please show me where I claimed to make 3.00+ a mile? From Oct to Dec. I drove 19,000 miles and grossed 33,889.00. This is for all miles ran including deadhead. My truck is a 2000 classic and not much worth more than 30k and my highest out-of-pocket expense is my insurance since I have my own authority. These numbers will change in the upcoming months. Hopefully in an upward direction. :lol: BTW,those fixed variable expenses can change if something drastic happens,such as losing a motor or transmission. It is not impossible to make it on 1.18 a mile if you are busy enough and hardly have any problems with the truck,but to me it isn;t worth the risk. A company driver can earn 1552.00 a week and not have the headaches and hassles of owning a truck. If either the motor or transmission go out within a 60-day period you could be looking at 20k or more plus weeks of downtime to replace it. With an old truck priced at 15k this makes it even riskier.

hamboner 02-07-2008 12:47 AM

That is valid point DD60. The reason trucks depreciate so fast is because they become increasingly costly to maintain. With a truck in that price range I would not put a major breakdown out of question. If I were gonna run something older I would make sure I had a reserve set aside for the just in case scenario...... as in another $15,000 grand set aside for an engine overhaul.

Quote:

Quote:

Your numbers, please?"

Please show me where I claimed to make 3.00+ a mile? From Oct to Dec. I drove 19,000 miles and grossed 33,889.00. This is for all miles ran including deadhead. My truck is a 2000 classic and not much worth more than 30k and my highest out-of-pocket expense is my insurance since I have my own authority. These numbers will change in the upcoming months. Hopefully in an upward direction. :lol: BTW,those fixed variable expenses can change if something drastic happens,such as losing a motor or transmission. It is not impossible to make it on 1.18 a mile if you are busy enough and hardly have any problems with the truck,but to me it isn;t worth the risk. A company driver can earn 1552.00 a week and not have the headaches and hassles of owning a truck. If either the motor or transmission go out within a 60-day period you could be looking at 20k or more plus weeks of downtime to replace it. With an old truck priced at 15k this makes it even riskier.

mike3fan 02-07-2008 03:16 AM

Quote:

It is not impossible to make it on 1.18 a mile if you are busy enough and hardly have any problems with the truck,but to me it isn;t worth the risk. A company driver can earn 1552.00 a week and not have the headaches and hassles of owning a truck. If either the motor or transmission go out within a 60-day period you could be looking at 20k or more plus weeks of downtime to replace it. With an old truck priced at 15k this makes it even riskier.

This is a fair statement,but could a company driver take 33 days off in 11 weeks and still make this much?

More than likely not,which is why Cyanide went in this direction,it basically gives him drivers wages+ and gives him the oppurtunity to take extra time off to do things that are important to him,I for one wish I was in the same position,but we all make our own priorities.

Would I,or could I run for $1.18 a mile?,no but I also can't take off 33 days in 2.5 months either.

mbadriver 02-07-2008 03:43 AM

It's not like your buying from Joe's Buy Here Pay Here Cream Puff Used Motor Cars.

You talk to the driver and mechanics and get one that just had a new drive train or engine. Superior's equipment might not be the purdiest, but they are pretty good on the maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamboner
That is valid point DD60. The reason trucks depreciate so fast is because they become increasingly costly to maintain. With a truck in that price range I would not put a major breakdown out of question. If I were gonna run something older I would make sure I had a reserve set aside for the just in case scenario...... as in another $15,000 grand set aside for an engine overhaul.

Quote:

Quote:

Your numbers, please?"

hamboner 02-07-2008 11:32 PM

I dont know the condition of the truck or any of Superiors trucks, but I know from experience that they are all subject to major mechanical failure with lil or no warning whatsoever.

Im not here trying to say that he can or cannot make it on his wages - just trying to point out the realities of owning a truck and being responsible for your own income and equipment.

My Father has been an O/O for 35 years and he has had equipment that he ran for years after it was paid for and now he runs a truck that is a year old and makes payments on. Other than having to run a lil more to make payments his profit margins always stay about the same. The reason being when he has a truck payed for it is more maintenance intensive, and TAXES KILL YOU when you have lil or no equipment to depreciate at the end of the year. Having a newer truck means warranty covers most unexpected major repairs, less down time, and more to write off when paying the taxes. Last year my dad avg. around $1.75 for all miles. He pulls a flatbad and hauls mainly oversize structural steel and construction equipment for a large construction company that does business all over the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbadriver
It's not like your buying from Joe's Buy Here Pay Here Cream Puff Used Motor Cars.

You talk to the driver and mechanics and get one that just had a new drive train or engine. Superior's equipment might not be the purdiest, but they are pretty good on the maintenance.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your numbers, please?"

mbadriver 02-07-2008 11:56 PM

If you're paying taxes you're making money. If you have a bunch of deductions you are spending money. Having a big truck payment isn't the most creative way to keep the IRS out of your pocket. Also, you can write off the full cost of M&R in the year they happen.

It's really 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. Personally, if I was getting into OO/IC I would rather get my feet wet with $15K out of my pocket versus risking defaulting on loan for a new truck.

This is all moot if freight doesn't pick up :wink:
Quote:

I dont know the condition of the truck or any of Superiors trucks, but I know from experience that they are all subject to major mechanical failure with lil or no warning whatsoever.

Im not here trying to say that he can or cannot make it on his wages - just trying to point out the realities of owning a truck and being responsible for your own income and equipment.

My Father has been an O/O for 35 years and he has had equipment that he ran for years after it was paid for and now he runs a truck that is a year old and makes payments on. Other than having to run a lil more to make payments his profit margins always stay about the same. The reason being when he has a truck payed for it is more maintenance intensive, and TAXES KILL YOU when you have lil or no equipment to depreciate at the end of the year. Having a newer truck means warranty covers most unexpected major repairs, less down time, and more to write off when paying the taxes. Last year my dad avg. around $1.75 for all miles. He pulls a flatbad and hauls mainly oversize structural steel and construction equipment for a large construction company that does business all over the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbadriver

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your numbers, please?"

hamboner 02-08-2008 02:28 AM

MBA driver,

I wasn't suggesting that anyone go out and buy a new truck to get there feet wet as an O/O. All I am doing is stating the difference in owning a new truck verses an older one.

Your theory about paying taxes vs. having a bunch of deductions is exactly what im talking about! No truck payment = more money which means they tax the hell outta all that money you just made. Having a new truck means having a bunch of deductions i.e. truck payments or what your accountant likes to refer to as deprecaition. My father ends up taking home about the same money whether or not he drives a new truck or one thats paid for. He has tried both scenarios many times in his years. He prefers to drive a new ride vs. paying in lots to drive an older one. If you wanna spend a lot of time at home you better drive old!

mbadriver 02-08-2008 03:00 AM

Amen to the home time and the older truck!

There are a lot of ways (non cash) to lower AGI and taxes. Generally, top line deductions to get to GI are real money. Deductions to get to AGI are the kitchen sink variety that don't necessarily involve "real" cash outlays.

You have great points. Probably at this point we are separating the fly
sh!t from the pepper :wink:

Quote:

MBA driver,

I wasn't suggesting that anyone go out and buy a new truck to get there feet wet as an O/O. All I am doing is stating the difference in owning a new truck verses an older one.

Your theory about paying taxes vs. having a bunch of deductions is exactly what im talking about! No truck payment = more money which means they tax the hell outta all that money you just made. Having a new truck means having a bunch of deductions i.e. truck payments or what your accountant likes to refer to as deprecaition. My father ends up taking home about the same money whether or not he drives a new truck or one thats paid for. He has tried both scenarios many times in his years. He prefers to drive a new ride vs. paying in lots to drive an older one. If you wanna spend a lot of time at home you better drive old!

Cyanide 02-08-2008 03:54 AM

Hey y'all hope everyone is doing great! Just coming back to work after an eleven day mini-vacation and wanted to say some stuff, since I have had honest questions from some about the truck I bought from Superior...

There obviously is a concern for the age and mileage on the truck (2001 Freightliner FLD 112, appx. 970,000 miles at purchase). I reviewed the complete maintenance history prior to buying it, and made the decision that for a final selling price of $10,000 plus an additional $426.13 in interest to be paid over the duration of but a single year it was worth the risk, and purchased it the first week of October 2007. Being that it was already set up and equipped for the job I perform with occasionally unloading chemicals I saved a few dollars on parts and labor as well (PTO air compressor, PTO product pump, and all applicable fittings). The following list are some of the items that the truck recently had done within the past year by the terminal I had picked it up from prior to picking it up (where it also ran on a dedicated fleet out loaded, back empty)...

-Overhead
-New head
-New rings and seals
-New clutch
-New, re-manufactured transmission
-New turbo
-New A/C compressor
-New alternator
-New E.C.M.
-New product pump
-New cab leveler
-New tires and brakes on all axles
-New shocks
-New hood
-New front bumper
-New air dam
-Front end alignment
-Rear end alignment

Obviously a couple of my fixed costs have dropped since October and will be eliminated eventually (truck payment and escrow account), but here's a basic breakdown of my fixed costs for 2008 starting from Jan. 1st.

$8,020 Truck note ($200.50/week until paid in full, then mine)
$1,400 Reserve Escrow ($75/week until paid in full to meet company's $2,000 minimum requirement, then done unless I choose to continue)
$1,457 IL Base Plate ($103.57/week until paid in full for year)
$1,501 Occupational Accident Insurance
$1,040 Qualcomm (presently not being charged for this since unit is not used)
$960 Accounting/Professional Services
$676 Physical Damage Insurance
$550 FHUT
$416 Bobtail Insurance
Total: $16,020

Now, add that I'm presently averaging almost 6.7 mpg with this old truck (3.90 rear end :shock:), and averaging around $3.09/gallon for fuel (up from 6.061 mpg, and down from $3.132/gal.) maybe then some people can see why I don't get caught up in the whole super high c.p.m. game with the revenue I'm generating.

Repairs...yes I do worry about major issues. However, I didn't come to this game unprepared as some may think. As well as what I already have stashed away, I continually add to this. For now though, the truck runs great as it should with it's maintenance history.

Taxes... Planned accordingly and had funds put back for this as well before getting into the game. I simply deduct a certain amount for this each week from my net earnings after deductions.

Retirement and Savings... See taxes.

Y'all be safe :wink:

mbadriver 02-08-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Hey y'all hope everyone is doing great! Just coming back to work after an eleven day mini-vacation

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, with the absence of freight you will probably get 300-miles down the road and have another mini-vacation.

In the last couple weeks the bottom has fallen out.

If your neigbor loses his job it's a recession. If you lose your job it's a depression

Cyanide 02-09-2008 01:17 AM

Quote:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, with the absence of freight you will probably get 300-miles down the road and have another mini-vacation.

What is with you MBA? No, it hasn't fallen out. You come to the company during the slow times and are stuck in a temporary rut. It happens. It happened to Skywalker, a good friend of ours, and I year before last shortly after we had all hired on. We all got home before Christmas and didn't leave out until New Year's Day or later. Yet we all ended up on pace to make around the same gross pay for the year, until one of us decided to go buy a boat and take off the last two months of the year, and another one of us decided to buy a truck and start running dedicated :roll:

Concerning freight, Savannah seems to have had plenty of work lately, as well as my "home" terminal in Westville. Actually, we usually have too much work for us there and must give loads away to company drivers daily. There's only fourteen of us there, and only three that like running the longer, though less-paying loads that don't allow us home daily. As to the lack of miles out on the road, get paid for your time waiting. If I were you when in that predicament I would take full advantage of it. The pay package is set up for you to utilize it and make money, especially when you aren't driving. But if you're that concerned about miles don't worry, things will pick up soon.

Personally, when I was a company driver I had no problem going 300-600 miles then sitting until a load came up. Or picking up a load on Friday that only went 600-900 miles and delivered Monday. Hell yeah! Cha-ching, cha-ching!!! That's a lot of hourly pay waiting to be had. If you go through all of my numbers as a company driver you will see that the best weeks I had were when I ran between 1200-1700 miles and racked up the accessory pay. Again, things will pick up soon...

Actually, I'm keeping busy as I always do. I left from the house and picked up in Savannah yesterday, delivered in Kingsport today, am on my next load which goes to Indianapolis Monday, and then will head to Westville and jump back into my dedicated stuff. In the meantime, I may very well go up to the house and take off yet another day then come back down to deliver in Indy. Hmmmm.....

mbadriver 02-09-2008 04:00 AM

Whatever... Man all you yack about is sitting at home. When a driver is parked at home he gets zero pay - nadda, zilch, nothing.

Quote:

Quote:

What is with you MBA? No, it hasn't fallen out. You come to the company during the slow times and are stuck in a temporary rut. It happens. It happened to Skywalker, a good friend of ours, and I year before last shortly after we had all hired on. We all got home before Christmas and didn't leave out until New Year's Day or later. Yet we all ended up on pace to make around the same gross pay for the year, until one of us decided to go buy a boat and take off the last two months of the year, and another one of us decided to buy a truck and start running dedicated :roll:

Concerning freight, Savannah seems to have had plenty of work lately, as well as my "home" terminal in Westville. Actually, we usually have too much work for us there and must give loads away to company drivers daily. There's only fourteen of us there, and only three that like running the longer, though less-paying loads that don't allow us home daily. As to the lack of miles out on the road, get paid for your time waiting. If I were you when in that predicament I would take full advantage of it. The pay package is set up for you to utilize it and make money, especially when you aren't driving. But if you're that concerned about miles don't worry, things will pick up soon.

Personally, when I was a company driver I had no problem going 300-600 miles then sitting until a load came up. Or picking up a load on Friday that only went 600-900 miles and delivered Monday. Hell yeah! Cha-ching, cha-ching!!! That's a lot of hourly pay waiting to be had. If you go through all of my numbers as a company driver you will see that the best weeks I had were when I ran between 1200-1700 miles and racked up the accessory pay. Again, things will pick up soon...

Actually, I'm keeping busy as I always do. I left from the house and picked up in Savannah yesterday, delivered in Kingsport today, am on my next load which goes to Indianapolis Monday, and then will head to Westville and jump back into my dedicated stuff. In the meantime, I may very well go up to the house and take off yet another day then come back down to deliver in Indy. Hmmmm.....

Cyanide 02-09-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Whatever... Man all you yack about is sitting at home. When a driver is parked at home he gets zero pay - nadda, zilch, nothing.
Yep, I sure do because I haven't picked up my last couple weeks' settlement sheets. So I can't really update my numbers until I have my estimates confirmed with actual payroll. And why are you getting bent out of shape over what I do? I don't know what to tell you if you have an issue with the fact that I take a few extra days to be with my son and I post it or, I make mention that I'm under a load and able to drive a few extra miles round trip to the house then back down to make my delivery if I want to. You may not presently be, but I'm still tickled to death over how things are here and unless something drastic happens to change that will continue to be...

MBA, I understand that you are getting down because things aren't working as you think they should be. I and many others have said it before, we are still in the slow season. You yourself even spoke of the commodities market and value added markets in the other thread we all have going on here. As hard as it may be, stay positive!

I'll ask you again... Will you please tell which terminal you run for? If not openly on here then P.M. me. I'm dead serious about this; if that terminal cannot keep you busy enough then look into transferring to another one that can. To the best of my knowledge from what I have actually seen, you do not have to work out of the yard closest to your home. It is worth exploring this option.

As I've said before...things will pick up. If you can stick it out through the next five weeks I will bet you a steak dinner, barbeque, or whatever meal you prefer that you will be well on track to returning to the elation you showed when you first started here! It's just unfortunately still a slow time in general for chemicals.

If you were to look back at my numbers from this time last year, you'll see that for the first six weeks I myself had only driven 9,767 miles and only had 12 days off going into the seventh week. Then things finally started picking up in March, and just kept improving as the year went on. My bump in the road to higher productivity and earnings was simply the amount of time off I took.

Superior Carriers 2007 Totals, Jan 1st to March 31st (WORK PAY ONLY):
Gross: $13,702.68 (.535/mile)
Miles: 25,595
Hours: 245.50
Days Working: 74
Days Off: 17
*Totals calculated up to April 01, 2007*

And now the second quarter, April 1st to June 31st
Gross: $13,393.85
Miles: 22,955
Hours: 305.25
Days Working: 65
Days Off: 26

Finally the third quarter, July 1st to Sept. 30th
Gross: $11,677.74
Miles: 18,542 (Took all vacation days and personal days, see days off)
Hours: 305.75
Days Working: 56
Days Off: 40

Cyanide 02-09-2008 09:18 AM

How many of y'all were here in Kingsport this week for orientation? Wish I would've gotten there earlier!

Roll call.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

wsyrob 02-09-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

How many of y'all were here in Kingsport this week for orientation? Wish I would've gotten there earlier!

Roll call.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was there but hit the road as soon as class was over.

Cyanide 02-09-2008 04:05 PM

MBA, you've got mail :wink: