User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

its good to here Iowa. I'm glad you finally got your CDL. Just hang in there and get ready to have some fun. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Well I keep us all posted on how your OTR training is going. Hope you start making SOME money.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Rookie

Congrats on your CDL. My husband is there now, hopefully it won't be long before he gets his too. We are also living on the charity of his parents, not a fun place to be but it's better than being homeless I guess!

I hope you enjoy your new career!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 PM

lisag, thanks again for the support. Your husband will make it just fine. Its just getting over the hurdles one at a time. One more hurry up and wait in store for me. I saw most of the folk I started with Friday at the CRST terminal when I went to take my driving test. About half were waiting to catch up with a trainer. There was a room, about 10 X 10 that was literally covered with luggage of the folks ready to get on the truck and roll. A couple had trainers, but no load at the time. Ah well, all things to those who wait, I guess.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 PM

Well its been two days in orientation, so far nothing to exciting, just the necessary evils of filling out paper work for insurance and such. First day was mostly re-writing our applications in our own hand writing on an app. form. We were told that this was the beginning of the hiring process. The recruiters job began with getting us their and ended with our being in orientation. Forms are very particular and must be filled out very specifically. We were told that is due to Federal regulations, they had to have a hand written copy on file for the DOT when they came to audit.

Second day, safety films, insurance forms, 401K plans, perdiem explanation, and correct any mistakes found on the apps. Biggest problem for the class as a group has been getting all claimed work experience verified. This is especially true for the owner operators and experienced drivers. Where they come in on the pay scale is determined by there verifiable trucking experience.

Like I said necessary evil sort of stuff. can't wait to get on the road!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 PM

well tomorrow is the big day, if all goes well. I should be on the road Thursday afternoon, with my first real load and a trainer at my side. I need to say my orientation has been as painless as possible and as thorough as time allowed. I am anxious about who will be my trainer and how we will get along, but confident that all will go well. I usually get along with folk.

I ow Kirkwood college a bit of an apology, I have mentioned a couple times how I thought their program was too short and used an example of them not letting us so much as "drop or hook" even one trailer. Well it turns out that about 75% or the companies, private schools and community colleges that CRST pays for have stopped that practice to make room for more road time. I can see that as a fair trade, but still believe longer time would be better.

My experience with CRST to date: I have been treated in nothing but a respectful and professional manner. The people were all very available to answer questions and help as they could. Yes, they would get short with someone that was paying no attention at all and ask a question that had repeatedly been asked. Yes I suspect a person could take offense at that, but I simply did not see it that way. This should be the last chance I get to chat with you for a while, and I do understand I still have the rose colored glasses on, my only comment is to promise I will update in detail how my 1st month of training on the road goes, and from there, if there is enough interest in reading my ramblings, I will continue for a bit. Wish me well and ask questions as you like.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Rookie

Go Iowarider! Happy and safe driving to you! You're going to do great! I hope you can check in here and let us know what life on the road is like sometimes too.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:23 PM

Well, I guess they figure we may as well learn how to hurry up and wait from day one. Over half of the class I finished with still do not have drivers assigned. This makes for the fifth day in the motel for us. I just got my assignment this morning and found out the drive had just gotten home Friday and would not be back until Wednesday. Would have been nice to know that Friday, I could have went home and visited my boys, but now they are in school during the week so that probably will not happen. Besides, still no paycheck. They did advance money to me last week, but according to policy, no layover pay when your at your home terminal. My dispatcher was going to see if he could help with that since it will be a week before I even get on the road. Probably another advance. Don't like that. Can't say at this point if that is normal or just something that is happening with CRST. Makes us all wonder why they keep bringing people in if they are having this much of a problem getting them hooked up with drivers.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Board Regular

Never mind.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:52 PM

I can see that. It does have to be a GIANT headache to schedule trainers back through Cedar Rapids to pick up students. At least I did find out they are paying us $40/day layover pay starting Monday (yesterday) so that helps a little.

Boy the competition for drivers with experience must be stiffer than I thought. One driver that is 10 days from putting in the mandatory 28 days with a trainer told us he talked to a Dart recruiter and they offered to buy out his contract if he wants to go with them. That's a surprise, although I think he has some previous experience.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:53 PM

Today was the big day, met my lead driver, got stuff put away in the truck, started to do the pre-trip with him, and the tractor had an air leak. :shock: This was at around 9:00 am. Found out at three the truck would not be in the shop till 8:00 p.m. and not back in service until 10:00 tomorrow morning. Ah yes, the exciting life of the trucker. LOL. nothing else to do may as well laugh.