User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just try to hang in there bro. I know it is tough, especially on the financial front. If you read my blog you would understand. I am sure I will be going through many the same things you are in a month when I start school. The best thing you can do for yourself is to just relax. Hard to do I know. You will get it! Were all pulling for you.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 PM

Thanks Maverick,
Just an observation. I had to drive to Des Moines to turn in some paperwork for the school I have been substitute teaching for. The payroll person wanted to know if I was interested in direct deposit. When I told her no it because I had taken another job, she asked "oh, what would that be" when I told her I was going to be driving a truck, the look on her face said volumes and they were not positive. :shock: geees, what was that all about? I'll be making more/year after only two years of truck driving than I ever did in education.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Board Regular

Some people think truck driving is a lower status job, like a garbage man. (If they only knew how much garbage men make in a year they would die) Don't pay these people any mind. Do what you enjoy doing, life is too short not to.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric
Do what you enjoy doing, life is too short not to.
Maveric...........................what you said is so true..........I was in the sports marketing industry over 22 years........I made well over 100K annually...plus expenses and bonuses.........additionally, I have a marketing degree from Louisiana State University..........the last 5 years were miserable, it was no longer fun......I actually got paid quite well to attend professional sporting events throughout the United States. That being said, I couldn't wait to get back to driving OTR.......I see my wife, children and 2-year old grand daughter more now that ever, life doesn't get any better that this.

As far as what people think, I could give a rats azz............I look forward to going to work everyday with a smile on my face.....I would HATE having to go to work daily............and hating it....that's NO way to live.

iowarider...............you hang in there, your best days are yet to come.......one day you'll look back at this period in your life and be able to smile.............good luck............see ya on the road.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Board Regular

So true Ardmore. While my best 3 years in thetelecom industry only netted me about 85K per year, I really enjoyed. But after going through 3 years of layoff after layoff and just having life be far too unstable, this is what is bringing me to trucking. I have always enjoyed travel. I just love it, I even took a vacation in FL and drove there from CA just for the cross country travel.

No matter what you do in this life, what you belive in, as long as you enjoy your job, all the money in the world can't compare.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:48 PM

Monday April 4th,
Not exactly an up day in the beginning. But, when I got to the college, I was taken to a truck for drive time and much to my delight it was just me and the trainer. Only behind the wheel about an hour, twice around the DOT driving course, but it helped immensely. This trainer I had been with only once before, and very much like his teaching style. He goes over lots of pointers, and actually tells me how to correct a problem with down shifting, not just, "SPEED IT UP BETWEEN SHIFTS". Turns out my biggest problem was simply trying to go from 7th to 6th before the engine slowed down enough. I was still worried about stalling the truck, but sure enough it dropped right in no fuss no muss. Tried it again, and be damned it works every time. The other trainers should take note. Arrived 3:30 drove till 4:30 and sent home till tomorrow. Was told to be at the college 8:30

Note on CRST: I had talked to my recruiter before leaving to go to the college. The company remains very very friendly to me. Recruiter explained he had talked to all the trainers at the college and they assured him I just needed a little more time behind the wheel, and that was no problem with the company. No extra charge to me either. Remember I am staying with relatives or there would have been the obvious charge of motel expense.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Board Regular

sound like everything is going really great 4 u
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Tuesday April 5th

Arrived at campus 8:30 when I was told to be here. Told the main guy I was here and he tells me, who told you to come today? I conveniently had a memory laps, We are testing today but with 19 to do pre-trip and skills, I doubt if we can get the road test for you. Call back after noon and we I'll try to slip you in. He did mention maybe putting in some more time tonight and testing with the group tomorrow. That works for me so that is what I will suggest when I call. I am in the library and it is around 11:00 am. Weeeel at least they are consistent in their inability to plan and keep everyone up to speed on whats going on. Actually that's not a surprise, unfortunately that's the way it has been at every college and university I have ever attended.

More CRST: Went to see my Recruiter in person, need to find out schedule for first pay day, literally will need to borrow money to survive till then. Again he was very willing to stop and walk me through it. Turns out I will be in orientation starting Monday, that ends Thursday, and pay starts with the first trip. Pay day is done when trip packet is received. So could be a week or so. They pay Tuesday and Thursday depending on when your trip pack arrives. We drop them in "trip pack" overnight deliver boxes that supposedly are in most truck stops. CRST will advance some money to me for the trip but not much, around $75. I have nothing to compare this to so, as promised these are the facts I know to date, make your decisions accordingly. Thank god I have a mom and dad that can help me out for the next couple weeks. The other side of that coin is how damned embarrassed and self loathing it makes a 50 year old guy with more education than anyone should ever need feel. But, that's not CRST's fault.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:35 PM

Thanks TruckinRanger, yea, no one said life was fair, but with folks like you for support, ill make it.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:25 PM

YEA, I passed the CDL! Not nearly as easy as folk think. So today I am up and feeling good again. The rigidness of the program is a bit much but I guess like all things I am finding involving trucking, you can get mad or just role with it. All the getting mad does is result in high blood pressure.

I am to "call in the morning" to see when I need to be there and go over to DMV so they can PAY FOR MY HAZMAT? That seems truly strange since I passed it last week. Something about getting a com-check from CRST so they do not do it till you have passed the CDL. So in my case I drive home, then drive back for an hour wait at DMV so they can pay my haz mat, then drive home again. Friday CRST wants me to come over and drive for them, that means another drive for an hour and drive home. Than Saturday, I have to meet the group at the college at 8:00 so I can "go to the court house and get finger printed". Finally home until Monday when I start CRST orientation for the next four days.

For most that come in on the bus and stay at the "bates, CRST, motel" its major boredom and that much more expense that comes out of your pay check down the road.

Things for all to know: OK, I finally have the real scoop on getting payed and such here it is. Several students, me included, were told there would be no up front money to us when we signed on for the training. As mentioned earlier, that's not the full story. Yes there is no out of pocket money, but the first thing you do is sign a paper giving them the OK to deduct the expenses for the motel, and other fees listed earlier from your pay check after five weeks. Food is on your own.

Orientation Not paid, the official word is "we technically do not hire you until the last day of orientation so no pay" Got to admit, this is the only place I have ever been that orientation is non paid, should have been told that up front.

Lessons to this point: be prepared with needed paperwork when you come or you get behind the cycle and it cost you a week of expense and no income, If you want more drive time, stay close and keep asking, It worked for an attractive young lady in my group, the laid back types like myself just barely exist. Be prepared to "hurry up and wait" a lot. Thought I understand this is true throughout the industry. Finally having gone through the CRST, Cedar Rapids training would I do it again? Yes, only because it was the only way I could afford to do it without loans and such. Longer programs are much better with no time in a truck as was my case. At least for me the assumption that 30 years driving stick shift cars would transfer to big rigs was waaaaaaaaaaay wrong. By the way, CRST runs a training program in Kentucky as well and it is a three week program, so that is an option if you know about it ahead of time which I did not.

Hope this helps some, I'll let you know about orientation trials, tribulations and success next week.