User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Very informative, thanks Mike! I think I'll be putting in my two weeks notice at current job sooner than expected. Would you say most companies are flexible with the 3-on,1-off schedule? Say if I wanted to stay 5-6 weeks on for first month or so, then fly back to move family once I had housing setup. How much of a notice does a guy need to give a company to take that 1 week off? Or is that something that is set in stone? Like, "this is when you start, and these are the weeks you can get off"?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Board Regular

It depends on the company, some are locked in stone. But from my personal experience most will want you to work at least 4 weeks, before they will give you that week off. The companies I have been with have let me work up to 9 weeks straight. I would say the odds are in your favor to do what you need to do. Most of the outfits are pretty good about this stuff. Besides, after about the 5th week most guys get a little goofy, so they sometimes will make a guy take at least a few days off.

As far as giving notice for the week off, I always try to leave that date open, as usually once you hit that 5th or 6th week, they will want you to take some time off, so it is easier at that point to make my plans. Which is usually a weeks notice as long as the guys are there to cover. Like I said, it really depends on the company.

Mike

Last edited by Justruckin; 01-15-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Board Regular

TCW,

If you are coming up, drive if you can. Many companies will put you in housing, but you will still need a vehicle to get to the shop. And, you may find that you and the employer are not a good fit, and that next job may be 50 miles away. Drive up if you can, just make sure the antifreeze is set to at least 60-, and if you can get a block heater do it. I had my Dodge dealer set my Ram to 80- and install the Mopar block heater, ran me $163 out the door.

Mike

On edit: you will need winter gear, possibly FRCs if your new employer does not supply them. I would suggest anything made of Merino Wool for long underwear or 100% heavy cotton, very fire retardent. If you need a set of FR bibs and parka, figure on dropping anywhere between $500 to a grand with a good pair of composite toed winter boots. Of course this will all depend on the work you do and if the employer will buy them for you, or reimburse after 90 days. If you are doing anything hazmat, you will need most, if not all of the above. So ask your possible employers about the FR gear and who supplies it. This is required PPE for most all no sites up here and should be supplied by the employer. Problem is, and I can see their point on not supply FR winter gear, is that allot of new guys that come up here do not stay long. This gear is not cheap, and I could see where it could put a dent in the bottom line. So if you can, budget at least a grand for the winter gear. If money is tight, Sidney Cleaners in Sidney MT sells used winter bibs and parkas. You can get a decent used set for around $500.

Last edited by Justruckin; 01-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Yea my plan is to drive up. I have an suv, so if need be I can sleep in my vehicle for first few nights or few weeks if necessary, then I will. Being that you said the winter has people fleeing gives me hope that I won't have to sleep in my vehicle any longer than I would have to. Yea block heater was one of my concerns, I'll have to check with dealership and get quotes. I was never aware they can be installed as an aftermarket part. I've heard a few good things about power fuels so I think I'm more-or-less setting my sights on them to haul water. Any other pointers you have would be great info to hear. Thanks for everything Mike!

-TCWBANKS
Old 01-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Board Regular

Power fuels is a good outfit, and they do supply you the needed winter gear. If you are in contact with them, they should be able to get you cleared in around 2 - 3 weeks and get you set up in regards to housing upon your arrival. Now you do know they will house you temporarily, and then they will take rent out of your pay, normally around $1000 a month from the guys I have ran with that work there.

Also, if you do not have your hazmat yet, get on the Internet tonight, pay the $120 and go get your fingerprints ASAP. It takes 10 days to get the ok letter in the mail. The test is easy, and if you can get an enhanced drivers license in your state to get into Canada, spend the $25 and get that too. Having those two endorsements will really help you up here, as the employers can see that you are more than likely a safe bet. Like having a security clearance in the military, you have already been vetted.

The hazmat endorsement will bump you from twenty something an hour up into the $30 to $40 an hour range with the right outfits. That is nothing to sneeze at. So get your Hazmat if you do not have it before you get here. I know of some outfits paying up to $1000 a day to drivers to haul oil. It is a dirty job, but you can't make that kind of money without the HM endorsement.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Board Regular
Default Don't come up here in the winter without housing!

To all,

If you do your due diligence, have a clean or good driving record and no issues that stop you from getting a job anywhere in the country, you should have no problem securing a job with free housing up here. It may take a week or two longer to get here, but it beats the hell out of trying to boondocks in your vehicle when it is 30-. Don't even attempt it, as there is housing up here if you spend the time looking and calling employers up here.

Here is a good place to call, The Wagoners Trucking, most of you old timers know of them. They run a hotshot and flatbed operation in Williston and have very nice new and furnished housing right on site. You can walk to work. The pay is not the greatest, around $24 an hour w/overtime, you should be able to get 70 hours a week in easily. There number is 701-572-1402, Jayda runs the show there, she is pretty cool, but a bit demanding. Don't say I said that if you call. They would be a great place to start, and they are right in the middle of all of the action. You will have the opportunity to visit many businesses and talk to allot of people to get a good handle on what is going on up here, it would be s good place to get your feet wet up here in the patch. As I have stated before, most guys don't last long up here.

Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Rookie

Yea I've had my hazmat before, now I'm kickin myself in the ass everyday for letting it go. And most jobs I see are asking for hazmat. At least 70% of jobs are asking for it...and as you said, it's the high paying jobs too. I actually do have a hazmat practice test I printed out online. Maybe I'll try and go take test tomorrow after work, if I get off in time. It only took your approval letter 10 days to get back? When I first got mine it was like a 6 week wait. Also, What do you mean go online tonight? for what?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Rookie

$1000/day? i'm most definitely going to get my HME again. I'll be patient for up to $1000/day!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Board Regular

You need to go to a .gov website, just google hazmat license. It should get you to the .gov website that allows you to pay for your FBI background check. Once you get the letter in the mail, or in the system, you need to go down to be fingerprinted. Then you go to the DMV to take the HM test, letter in hand. I think that is the order of things, been awhile. A pain in the butt, but the payoff is worth it, trust me on that.

Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Board Regular

Yep, $1000 a day running oil out of the patch to the rail yard. The pay is percentage, usually around 26% if I remember correctly. It is not really that hard, just a real pain in the rear during the winter months. You have to climb up to the tops of the tanks (they all have stairways), strap the tanks, grind the oil and load up. More spring, summer and fall work in my book. Not something I want to do this time of year.

The guys I ran into that were making this money were with Wiley Bice out of Killdeer ND, just N of Dickinson off SR 22. Just google them, they are an owner operator company and can hook you up with the guys that own the trucks that need drivers.

Mike