User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWBanks2384 View Post
Lifeguard what kind of money does DVT talk about starting drivers off with? I've heard transporting crude pays more than water,but not by much. I've had my hazmat before and curious as to whether it's worth it to go through process again.
DVT is an Owner Operator company. The company drivers that are hired are found by the actual truck owner, most of whom are absentee owners, who normally have no driver housing or even a presence in the state of ND other than the equipment. The "company" drivers and lease ops go through DVT orientation, which is about a week I believe. They train you on all of the stuff you need to work in the oil patch, OSHA, site safety, etc. They will then send you out with an experienced driver for in the field training for around two weeks I believe.

Most of the guys (drivers and O/Ops) I have spoken with at DVT live in the trucks, average pay is around $25 an hour straight time for company drivers. O/Ops are getting around, last I knew, around $125 an hour, but don't quote me on that, it may be $100 an hour. They haul fresh water, flow back, production water and oil. They have a hit and miss reputation up here, it was not that good the last I had heard, as they had been kicked out of more than a few job sites for sloppy work, sites that I have personally been on. Now, that is not saying that there are not some great and very competent drivers there, because there are. The old saying applies here, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. One thing I did see with DVT, due to a shortage of drivers, was that the truck owners were bringing in quite a few Mexicans and S. Americans, many of whom did not speak English and were of questionable legality in my book. They are quite honestly a danger to those of us who follow the rules up here as well as the general motoring public. That was becoming an issue on some of the sites I was on, and it was not a good thing for DVT. I do not know if they are still hiring these guys, maybe they have changed their hiring practices, it has been awhile since I have been out on the sites now that I am in the propane racket.

If I got any of the above wrong, please feel free to correct me, as it has been near 6 months since I have run with these guys. Things change quickly up here, and you will not hurt my "feelings".

Mike
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Lifeguard what kind of money does DVT talk about starting drivers off with? I've heard transporting crude pays more than water,but not by much. I've had my hazmat before and curious as to whether it's worth it to go through process again.
DVT is an owner operator company, they do not hire drivers, at least when I was running with them. The actual truck owners do the hiring and DVT clears and trains them. Drivers were starting at around $25 an hour straight time, give or take a dollar or two and most lived in the trucks. On the oil side, some drivers may get a percentage of the load, I think around 26% is about the norm, give or take. A good outfit for crude up here is Wylie Byce, I understand their drivers, not owner ops, were making anywhere between $400 and $1000+ a 12 hour shift hauling oil. At least that is what the guys I spoke with said they were making there, and I have no reason to doubt them.

And yes, if you come up here have your hazmat endorsement on your CDL. It will open many doors for you in regards to employment. There is more money in hazmat, and many more opportunitie$ available.

Last edited by Justruckin; 01-13-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Board Regular
Default On a side note...

If you come up here, and get hired on with an outfit that has no housing and you will live in the truck... There are very few truck stops up here, and the ones that are here are nearly packed 24/7. In other words, finding a toilet, shower or a place to park can be touch and go up here, as well as food. My suggestion, find an employer with at least some sort of yard that has some basic facilities, like a toilet, sink and shower that is available 24/7. There is more housing coming on line up here daily, just do your due diligence and or be prepared for conditions that may not suit some people. This is like the wild west up here in allot of respects, the influx of people has strained many local communities and they are doing their best to try to accommodate all of us, and there is ALLOT of us.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Board Regular

This thread is interesting. My husband was just saying he thought about changing jobs.
Out of curiosity..... do the drivers just usually go or are there accommodations for families?

I can do my job anywhere I get internet.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlie View Post
This thread is interesting. My husband was just saying he thought about changing jobs.
Out of curiosity..... do the drivers just usually go or are there accommodations for families?

I can do my job anywhere I get internet.

Thanks
Yes, some companies have family housing available, normally though they will charge you rent seeing as they are losing a spot for another employee. My company charges $500 a month if you bring the spouse and or children. Not a bad deal, and the housing isn't to bad. Best bet is to have your husband come up first, get a month or two under his belt and hunt down an employer that has the housing you would require.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Board Regular

Thanks...... I could go for a month off
Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 AM
Rookie

Justruckin - I really appreciate all the info. I'm starting to get anxious to head north. Being from S.Dakota originally I'm aware of what -30 feels like, etc. I've submitted several apps and my resume to roughly 5-6 different companies, in the past week. However, I may just take your advice and show up to physically be ready to work. I live 1000 miles away right now, and I'm wondering what company is going to take me into consideration when theres drivers already there ready to work tomorrow. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure they take any job inquiry seriously, but the CDL drivers knockin on the door will more likely be a potential candidate before me, which would be my assumption anyways. Is it wise to make phone calls to check up on status of application? I hate to be a nuisance to a company that gets 100 other phone calls a day asking if they're hiring. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. -Banks
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Justruckin - I really appreciate all the info. I'm starting to get anxious to head north. Being from S.Dakota originally I'm aware of what -30 feels like, etc. I've submitted several apps and my resume to roughly 5-6 different companies, in the past week. However, I may just take your advice and show up to physically be ready to work. I live 1000 miles away right now, and I'm wondering what company is going to take me into consideration when theres drivers already there ready to work tomorrow. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure they take any job inquiry seriously, but the CDL drivers knockin on the door will more likely be a potential candidate before me, which would be my assumption anyways. Is it wise to make phone calls to check up on status of application? I hate to be a nuisance to a company that gets 100 other phone calls a day asking if they're hiring. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. -Banks
Tcw,

Your best bet for work is going to be Craig's List and "The Shopper" out of Williston ND. Just google "The Shopper Williston ND". And forget the resumes and applications. If they want you just get up here, you can fill all of that paperwork out during your training. It took me a good week on the job before I was handed the employment application. I didn't even get a road test, but did get the "P" test. Very strict on that up here, drugs are not tolerated.

Get on the phone and start calling. Right now is a good time to land a job, as many have fled the state for the winter. Funny thing, it has been in the 40's and 50's here. I'm still wearing my summer steel toes and simply layering up with a couple pairs of light winter underwear and a hoody under my summer FRC's. It was 43* at 0100 this morning, currently it is clear and 21* @ 0600 with a slight breeze. Had a dusting of snow the other day, a sparce 1/4 inch on the ground here currently.

But anyways, get on the phone, talk to the outfits up here and find out when you can start and get here, it is that simple. As most guys never show, so if you make it here, you will have a job.

Oh, those "other" drivers up here? We are all WORKING! We do not have enough as it is, and yes, guys are always looking for opportunities, but few will take the plunge to change jobs unless things are really bad at their current outfit. The most difficult job to find up here is one without all of the DRAMA. I think I found that outfit and so far so good, I am currently NOT looking for another job. Most outfits will secure you a position over the phone, and like I said, if you are one of the few to actually show up, you will have a job.

Last edited by Justruckin; 01-15-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Tcw,

Your best bet for work is going to be Craig's List and "The Shopper" out of Williston ND. Just google "The Shopper Williston ND". And forget the resumes and applications. If they want you just get up here, you can fill all of that paperwork out during your training. It took me a good week on the job before I was handed the employment application. I didn't even get a road test, but did get the "P" test. Very strict on that up here, drugs are not tolerated.

Get on the phone and start calling. Right now is a good time to land a job, as many have fled the state for the winter. Funny thing, it has been in the 40's and 50's here. I'm still wearing my summer steel toes and simply layering up with a couple pairs of light winter underwear and a hoody under my summer FRC's. It was 43* at 0100 this morning, currently it is clear and 21* @ 0600 with a slight breeze. Had a dusting of snow the other day, a sparce 1/4 inch on the ground here currently.

But anyways, get on the phone, talk to the outfits up here and find out when you can start and get here, it is that simple. As most guys never show, so if you make it here, you will have a job.

Oh, those "other" drivers up here? We are all WORKING! We do not have enough as it is, and yes, guys are always looking for opportunities, but few will take the plunge to change jobs unless things are really bad at their current outfit. The most difficult job to find up here is one without all of the DRAMA. I think I found that outfit and so far so good, I am currently NOT looking for another job. Most outfits will secure you a position over the phone, and like I said, if you are one of the few to actually show up, you will have a job.
is there still places upthere to park a rv with full hook ups?
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Board Regular

There are some up here, but they are far and few between. The park we are in, which is a field with rock roadways situated on a hill, does have a few spots under development and maybe a couple of ready to go spots. We are located in Alexander ND just off of SR85 25 miles south of Williston. And we do have big truck parking at the bottom of the hill. They charge us $800 a month with full year round hook ups (water, sewer and electric), but you pay for utilities. There are electric meters at each site with 100 or 150 amp service, you supply your own propane.

In Watford city there is an RV park, I believe he is charging a bit more, from $1000 and up I believe. He is located on SR85 just on the south side of Watford City proper near the truck route on the West side of the road. He also has ready to go trailers, 20 ' campers like you would pull behind a pick up for $1500 a month + utilities. I don't think he is finding many takers at that price, I have only seen a few out of the several dozen he has set up that look occupied.

There are also many smaller mom and pops that have popped up, most do not have any hookups and they charge around $500 a month.

Also off of SR2, the main northern east to west drag through the state has some RV parks going in. There is one outside of Tioga, I believe he is charging around that $800 also, and has full hook ups. The last time I was by it looked to be already full.

I also think I heard of something going in around the New Town area for campers, which is about 35 miles south of Stanley, but don't quote me on it.

Also, some employers up here have some land that they allow you to park your camper on. If they have any hook ups who knows, I have seen many up here boondocking on businesses property. It does not look like fun.

One thing I did hear on the radio, that just west of Sidney Montana there is a big truck park going in. They charge by the day, week and month to park your truck and trailer. I believe they have electrical hook ups for the trucks if one has off shore on their truck, showers and a club house. I heard about that on The Eagle 93.1 FM out of Sidney MT, you may want to call the radio station for more info if interested. I believe this place is still under construction but will be in full swing by Spring.

Also check with the Sidney or Glendive Montana city halls or Chamber offices. They have allot of activity in the area and could possibly help find a campground. They are roughly 40 miles from Williston. And the Sidney area is pretty nice, they have some shopping and restaurants, something we do not have in Alexander, which consists of two bars, a little C store, one little restaurant that is open around 8 hours a day, a bank and a post office.

And to give you married guys a heads up that plan on bringing your wives... that little bank pays that bank teller $25 an hour. The C stores around here pay up to $17 an hour for cashiers, and secretaries can make up to $60,000 a year to start. Most jobs around here start at $10 to $14 an hour that would be considered minimum wage jobs back home. But we are so short handed around here that a good negotiator could probably do better in securing a higher wage. We are also in need of medical personal, our hospitals and clinics are screaming for people, some even supply housing, say for a nurse or technician.

Hope this helps.

Mike