User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 02:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
i am driving for them because i had left swift originally after landing a local, non-driving job, and then being screwed over by a damn hiring freeze. i tried for 2 months to find something else around the area. nothing panned out. i had given swift a call back and was told they aren't taking experienced drivers, regardless of the fact that they had driven for swift. knight was the only option (for me) because i did NOT WANT to go to werner or any other company. i think i should have given mckelvey a whirl. they're also based in phoenix.

i don't know how the vegas terminal is operated. i could tell you what i've "heard". what good is that info?
I'm a little surprised that Swift didn't take you back. A couple of weeks ago when I was at the North Las Vegas Pilot truck stop, I spoke with a Swift driver who has several years of experience. He had been hired by Swift about six months ago following a stint with KLLM. He said that he is getting tons of miles with Swift -- sometimes more than he wants -- and hadn't been home for six weeks.

McKelvey is not a possibility for me. According to their Web site, they don't hire drivers with less than one year of verifiable OTR experience. But looking over their Web site, they look like they might be a good company to go with after I get my one year in with Knight or Swift.

Also, please tell me what you have "heard" about Knight's Las Vegas terminal. Some info -- even if it must be taken with a grain of salt -- is better than no info at all.

Last edited by Retired in Nevada; 10-26-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Board Regular

Syncrosonix,

I Never said Knight wasn't a crappy company, but of the ones he had listed I thought they were the best for his situation. You made Valid points about their load planning as that was one of the biggest reasons for me going bald! I quickly learned that whenever I turned down a load to make to send it over the qualcomm several times stating that I could not do it legally and to ignore the "Call Me" message soon there after.

At the time Knight also swore up and down their q-comm system only allowed them to save and review driver comments, not dispatcher comment, which was the most hair balled thing I ever had heard, and one the first day of training, The Fleet manager came in and stressed how we could not record anything our dispatchers said over the phone without their knowing about it and approving,,,which I thought was the weirdest thing I ever heard.

And I agree They are an extremely tight run ship, but you know what? I knew the system and I made it work for me, because at the time I CHOOSE to work there with a bigger goal in mind and made the best of it until I found what I was looking for. If your attitude towards you dispatcher and terminal and whoever else you talk to is anything like it is here, it's no wonder you have such a hard time. You are apparently in a crappy situation, get a better attitude and make the best of it until something better comes along and then leave. If I can handle them with my temper, so can you
Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

scythe, i handle my chit whenever i get a pre-plan. i don't decline anything. i run my chit tight, hard, and sometimes blur the lines of legal and illegal to get the freight there. i still have no idea how much slack is too much. i've about turned the 1 inch of rope into 1000 yards, and it's still growing.

this company doesn't pay worth a damn. run legal and you're going to the halfway house in no time. hell, you may as well start looking into some prime real estate underneath a freeway overpass. when it comes to knight and any other company that doesn't pay worth a damn, i advocate 100%, to run illegal. if/when knight begins installing the EOBR, i will make sure to get the hell out without giving a 2 week notice. central refrigerated is currently using the EOBR. i've seen it on a few of their trucks.

my attitude on here stinks because the OTR trucking industry is total garbage. the only people who think being paid like we're working 40hrs is okay are either the head honchos running the show, or the blind and dumb who can't read the writing on the wall.

i'm jaded as can be and wish i had finished school 7yrs ago. i'm only 10 measly credits away from having my AA degree. this whole cpm/percentage garbage is for people who haven't ever had a job where they've seen a paycheck that exceeded $400, and think that their $200 or so paychecks per week is "good money." laughable is what that kind of pay is. i made more than that working as a pizza delivery driver....on tips. during the summer, i had some weeks where i nearly made $900 alone on the cash tips.

this industry is only getting worse with the people who are under the false belief that trucking is the answer to their financial and economic woes. i'm encountering more "speshal" types on the road nowadays. i don't want to be anywhere near those types who shouldn't even have a damn cdl. i find myself being tailgated much more by other drivers, high beamed, cut off, and almost swerved into by passing trucks. eventually something has got to give.

RIN, i've heard that the vegas terminal is good, crappy, disorganized, fantastic, etc...none of the info is consistent.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
scythe, i handle my chit whenever i get a pre-plan. i don't decline anything. i run my chit tight, hard, and sometimes blur the lines of legal and illegal to get the freight there. i still have no idea how much slack is too much. i've about turned the 1 inch of rope into 1000 yards, and it's still growing.

this company doesn't pay worth a damn. run legal and you're going to the halfway house in no time. hell, you may as well start looking into some prime real estate underneath a freeway overpass. when it comes to knight and any other company that doesn't pay worth a damn, i advocate 100%, to run illegal. if/when knight begins installing the EOBR, i will make sure to get the hell out without giving a 2 week notice. central refrigerated is currently using the EOBR. i've seen it on a few of their trucks.

my attitude on here stinks because the OTR trucking industry is total garbage. the only people who think being paid like we're working 40hrs is okay are either the head honchos running the show, or the blind and dumb who can't read the writing on the wall.

i'm jaded as can be and wish i had finished school 7yrs ago. i'm only 10 measly credits away from having my AA degree. this whole cpm/percentage garbage is for people who haven't ever had a job where they've seen a paycheck that exceeded $400, and think that their $200 or so paychecks per week is "good money." laughable is what that kind of pay is. i made more than that working as a pizza delivery driver....on tips. during the summer, i had some weeks where i nearly made $900 alone on the cash tips.

this industry is only getting worse with the people who are under the false belief that trucking is the answer to their financial and economic woes. i'm encountering more "speshal" types on the road nowadays. i don't want to be anywhere near those types who shouldn't even have a damn cdl. i find myself being tailgated much more by other drivers, high beamed, cut off, and almost swerved into by passing trucks. eventually something has got to give.

RIN, i've heard that the vegas terminal is good, crappy, disorganized, fantastic, etc...none of the info is consistent.
This is definitely on of the Top 10 posts of all time on CAD. It's a good thing that you have an established history on this board Syncrosonix. That should keep the CPM apologist/coolie carrier dreamer types from questioning your sentiments. Get out now while your still young Syncro...............

Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 AM

I could have sworn required 4 mos. OTR experience and didn't hire newbies and didn't offer a training program, unless things have changed.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I highly suggest that Sync get out of a truck for a vacation. It's obvious to me that his attitude sucks and his head is not in the game. Every one of us hits the wall at some point and needs a little while to decompress. I took 2 months off the year before last after a bad experience with a company and went on safari in Africa. I felt like a new man when I climbed back into a truck.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun View Post
I could have sworn required 4 mos. OTR experience and didn't hire newbies and didn't offer a training program, unless things have changed.
If you are referring to Knight, Knight has a training division called Squire Transportation. Squire takes noobs straight out of CDL school. Noobs go through a brief orientation period, go out for four weeks with a trainer, then drive solo for 90 days. After the 90 days with Squire are up, you apply with Knight. Acceptance by Knight is automatic, as long as your record with Squire was good and clean. This is as it was explained to me by both a Squire recruiter at Squire's Ontario, CA location and a Knight recruiter at Knight's Las Vegas terminal.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I highly suggest that Sync get out of a truck for a vacation. It's obvious to me that his attitude sucks and his head is not in the game. Every one of us hits the wall at some point and needs a little while to decompress. I took 2 months off the year before last after a bad experience with a company and went on safari in Africa. I felt like a new man when I climbed back into a truck.
no, what i NEED is some snatch ("dinner" tomorrow night with a hot chick. it's gonna happen for sure.), and i need to continue my education. the so-called OTR lifers do it because they can't do anything else in life. they're either too dumb or have jacked up so much that it's OTR, go back to jail, or the halfway house. although there are those who are intelligent to do other things in life. however, they're stuck because of their age. i feel sorry for those guys and gals. i don't want to end up bitter like them. i'm already jaded as can be. any intelligent person can see that the over-the-road trucking industry is pure garbage. too bad jonp can't see it. even after taking an african safari.

my tolerance for morons OTR has come to a very sharp end. i sometimes feel like i'm gonna smash somebody's face in. i hate dumb, uneducated people. my tolerance for them is even lower when i can smell them from 10ft away, and it's not their cologne i'm smelling. i wish it was. instead, the stench is from an uncouth, disgusting man-piglet who rolls around in his own ******* filth.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Syncrosonix, i wish you would stop holding back. Open up and tell how you feel, we are friends here. :blazin:
Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
Syncrosonix, i wish you would stop holding back. Open up and tell how you feel, we are friends here. :blazin:
get me drunk and i'll tell you how i truly feel about the world, the people inhabiting it, and other things.