User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Seriously considering Conway

Sometimes I hear they're going through a lot of changes and mergers but I also hear they're still a place to find decent work.

I live close to their terminal in Fremont, IN and this might be a chance for me to be doing some kind of local work with more hometime.

Talked to them and I need more endorsements for their driving jobs. I already have a CDL and a year experience with PAM but for Conway I need Doubles, Triples, and Hazmat. Sounds like I'd be one of the people running triples down the 80/90 Turnpike.

Getting those just requires written tests right? Not another driving test? As for the Hazmat my understanding is that requires written tests plus a fee for background checks?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Rookie
Default conway

Dont forget finger printed for the TSA. I know in Pa you have to go the nearest state police barracks, where they fingerprint you.. They also run your finger prints thru the FBI data bank .
Old 06-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usair View Post
Dont forget finger printed for the TSA. I know in Pa you have to go the nearest state police barracks, where they fingerprint you.. They also run your finger prints thru the FBI data bank .
Finger printing for TWIC is done on site, at the TWIC center, by the contractor NorthrupGrumann.

HazMat finger printing is done where ever the state dictates.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Board Regular

Doubles/Triples, Tankers & HazMat are written tests only.

Doubles & Tankers are relatively simple. If you know brakes and combo's - there's only a little more additional info required to pass.

HazMat can be a PITA. LOTS OF DETAIL (as well there SHOULD BE - hazmat hauls some pretty NASTY and DANGEROUS stuff).

TWIC and HazMat are somewhat COSTLY propositions. Since I'm in school right now - I went for the TWIC first (though you can get a small DISCOUNT on the TWIC cost if you already have a hazmat) - since the hazmat test for a LEARNERS PERMIT HOLDER is only good for 30 days (and school runs 9 weeks). Since I already had the BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION done for the TWIC - my Hazmat app was approved by TSA in under a week.

Best of luck finding work.

In this economy - ANY JOB is a GOOD JOB - especially for those of us with little or no experience. Even drivers with years of experience are having a difficult time getting employed nowadays. EVERY LITTLE EDGE you can give yourself (endorsements, TWIC, valid passport, no convictions, clean MVR, no accidents, etc.) can be the difference between a JOB, and a TURNDOWN...

Rick
Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
Conway I need Doubles, Triples, and Hazmat. Sounds like I'd be one of the people running triples down the 80/90 Turnpike.

No. You need to have the Double/Triples endorsement on your CDL just for the simple fact that you might be out on a P+D run and have to take a set of pups. If you are going for a line-haul position, then yes you will be pulling them constantly.

Haz-Mat test is a pain. If you read the book from the state you will be fine. I know in Delaware the written test is done on a computer with pictures. If you look at the picture for some of the questions you can get the answer. The background check is a PIA also, but needs to be done.

Other then that....I know guys at Conway and they never talk bad about the company. They seem to like it.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Finger printing for TWIC is done on site, at the TWIC center, by the contractor NorthrupGrumann.

HazMat finger printing is done where ever the state dictates.
Wrong military contractor. Lockheed Marting administers the TWIC program. I'd say it was a bone thrown to LM by the Washington fat cats.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxfe_phantoms View Post
No. You need to have the Double/Triples endorsement on your CDL just for the simple fact that you might be out on a P+D run and have to take a set of pups. If you are going for a line-haul position, then yes you will be pulling them constantly.

Haz-Mat test is a pain. If you read the book from the state you will be fine. I know in Delaware the written test is done on a computer with pictures. If you look at the picture for some of the questions you can get the answer. The background check is a PIA also, but needs to be done.

Other then that....I know guys at Conway and they never talk bad about the company. They seem to like it.

I think linehaul is basically a gravy train. HAZMAT tests is ez, takes about 10-minutes. I think in PA once you get 18 questions correct you are done.

I talked with Conway last fall. The guy told me to get my doubles endorsement and he would hire me. Lo and behold a few weeks later they shuttered the terminal.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Doubles/Triples, Tankers & HazMat are written tests only......
In what state?? I took all three on the computer....
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

If you want a better job then you should get the endorsements anyway.

As for being a new guy at Conway Freight you would be on call Mon-Fri and occaisional weekends but not many. There are 3 aspects to any LTL company and as a new guy you would be subject to working them all. City P/D, dock, and Linehaul.You may work 70 hours a week when they are busy or you may work 20 when it is slow. In all likelyhood you will drive a forklift more hours than a semi. You might work an entire shift on the dock and not even drive a truck. City work is typically days. Delivering and picking up from customers. Dock is 24 hours a day. Linehaul is typically nights. Driving terminal to terminal. A new linehaul guy would get the shortest run of perhaps 75-100 miles one way. You would probably start around 5 pm and work the dock until around 9 pm, then drive to a nearby terminal and work the dock another 3-4 hours, then drive home. Whoever said linehaul is gravy doesnt have a clue. Thats why linehaul pays more than city. There are gravy runs but you have to be there a very long time to get them (15 years?). Triples are only run from certain terminals and I'm not sure if Fremont is one of them but you wouldnt get that work anyway. You need 5 years experience with doubles first and then that work goes to senior men. Its a good job but life at the bottom can be very rough for 5 years or so. Feast or famine, not working at all or alot of shifting schedules, tired all the time, driving the worst POS in the yard. Conway's old clunkers are 7 speeds, no AC, no radio and spring ride. A new guy should make 35-45k, a top city guy 50-65k , a top linehaul guy 80-95k. All depends on how many hours they want. Other good LTL carriers to consider would be UPS Freight (where I work), Fedex Freight, Old Dominion, Estes, R&L among others. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
A new guy should make 35-45k,
Well in this economy if I could make that much in a local job that still sounds like it's worth checking out even if it's random work and not all driving. Getting out of the truck seat might be a good thing anyway.