User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
In what state?? I took all three on the computer....
Dude, I didn't mean they were handwritten essay tests - just that there were no SKILLS TESTS INVOLVED. I'm in Florida (the WORST STATE for a newb to try and get HIRED from).

I took mine on the computer too...

OTOH - for the PASSENGER ENDORSEMENT - you're SUPPOSED TO do a pre-trip/basic skills/road test in a BUS to get the endorsement on your license (I guess it would also give you a Class B or C license, depending on the WEIGHT of the bus you tested with - if you didn't also do a pre-trip/basic skills/road test in a tractor/trailer).

In my case, I took the CLASS A pre-trip/basic skills/road tests - but since I had taken the PASSENGER written test (along with doubles/triples, tankers & combination/air brakes when I got my PERMIT) - the lady at DMV put my PASSENGER endorsement on my CLASS A CDL when I went in to get the plastic after passing my road test at school. After passing my HazMat WRITTEN (since there's no hazmat SKILLS TEST) and my background check got approved, my license now has PTX for endorsements.

I'm not saying ANYTHING about it - since it saves me the $300 it would cost to go somewhere and do all the SKILLS TESTS with a bus. I wouldn't have any problems PASSING the tests, since I owned my own bus last year and was ALREADY doing the pre-trip and all the "skills" to the tune of 50K incident-free personal miles in '07.

Rick

Last edited by SickRick; 07-01-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
If you want a better job then you should get the endorsements anyway.

As for being a new guy at Conway Freight you would be on call Mon-Fri and occaisional weekends but not many. There are 3 aspects to any LTL company and as a new guy you would be subject to working them all. City P/D, dock, and Linehaul.You may work 70 hours a week when they are busy or you may work 20 when it is slow. In all likelyhood you will drive a forklift more hours than a semi. You might work an entire shift on the dock and not even drive a truck. City work is typically days. Delivering and picking up from customers. Dock is 24 hours a day. Linehaul is typically nights. Driving terminal to terminal. A new linehaul guy would get the shortest run of perhaps 75-100 miles one way. You would probably start around 5 pm and work the dock until around 9 pm, then drive to a nearby terminal and work the dock another 3-4 hours, then drive home. Whoever said linehaul is gravy doesnt have a clue. Thats why linehaul pays more than city. There are gravy runs but you have to be there a very long time to get them (15 years?). Triples are only run from certain terminals and I'm not sure if Fremont is one of them but you wouldnt get that work anyway. You need 5 years experience with doubles first and then that work goes to senior men. Its a good job but life at the bottom can be very rough for 5 years or so. Feast or famine, not working at all or alot of shifting schedules, tired all the time, driving the worst POS in the yard. Conway's old clunkers are 7 speeds, no AC, no radio and spring ride. A new guy should make 35-45k, a top city guy 50-65k , a top linehaul guy 80-95k. All depends on how many hours they want. Other good LTL carriers to consider would be UPS Freight (where I work), Fedex Freight, Old Dominion, Estes, R&L among others. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

What exactly does dock work entail ? What are the challenges and working conditions ? I'm curious to know because, since I haul pneumatic bulkers, I don't need to go anywhere near a dock.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Default no choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
If you want a better job then you should get the endorsements anyway.

As for being a new guy at Conway Freight you would be on call Mon-Fri and occaisional weekends but not many. There are 3 aspects to any LTL company and as a new guy you would be subject to working them all. City P/D, dock, and Linehaul.You may work 70 hours a week when they are busy or you may work 20 when it is slow. In all likelyhood you will drive a forklift more hours than a semi. You might work an entire shift on the dock and not even drive a truck. City work is typically days. Delivering and picking up from customers. Dock is 24 hours a day. Linehaul is typically nights. Driving terminal to terminal. A new linehaul guy would get the shortest run of perhaps 75-100 miles one way. You would probably start around 5 pm and work the dock until around 9 pm, then drive to a nearby terminal and work the dock another 3-4 hours, then drive home. Whoever said linehaul is gravy doesnt have a clue. Thats why linehaul pays more than city. There are gravy runs but you have to be there a very long time to get them (15 years?). Triples are only run from certain terminals and I'm not sure if Fremont is one of them but you wouldnt get that work anyway. You need 5 years experience with doubles first and then that work goes to senior men. Its a good job but life at the bottom can be very rough for 5 years or so. Feast or famine, not working at all or alot of shifting schedules, tired all the time, driving the worst POS in the yard. Conway's old clunkers are 7 speeds, no AC, no radio and spring ride. A new guy should make 35-45k, a top city guy 50-65k , a top linehaul guy 80-95k. All depends on how many hours they want. Other good LTL carriers to consider would be UPS Freight (where I work), Fedex Freight, Old Dominion, Estes, R&L among others. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.
Yea what he said, you don't to get pick line haul or pd. Once you get into ltl there's this thing called seniority and you better get used it. pd one day then send you home cuz you may have to run a longer night run and the other way around. Job is not for drivers who just like to sit. You will work, but you also will be compensated well for your work. I don't much about pam but if its anything like us express and there dollar general accounts and you have to unload all those boxess from the ground. Ltl and dock work will be a piece of cake. I regret ever leaving ccx Id be at top rate right now and home every day
Old 07-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymist View Post
What exactly does dock work entail ? What are the challenges and working conditions ? I'm curious to know because, since I haul pneumatic bulkers, I don't need to go anywhere near a dock.
Most of the freight is on pallets so its alot of forklifts. There is some hand freight. Sometimes skids gets tipped over and have to be restacked. There is alot of getting on and off the forklift to check shipping labels, move dunnage, sign bills on to a manifest, etc. There is oddball or ugly freight and either is not on a skid or is on a skid but doesnt stack well. We use the whole trailer so we build decks, use dunnage, stack racks, load bars or whatever we need to cram more freight in. It would be similar to packing the station wagon for vacation. BTW its easier to stuff freight in a trailer then it is to get it out so unloading a poorly loaded trailer can be challenging. The nature of LTL is handling small shipments, I dont mean small size I mean small quantity, not enough to justify a full truckload. We use a hub and spoke system. Lets use OH for a small example. We have terminals in Toledo, Cleveland, Richfield, Youngstown, Mansfield, Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinatti. Now each terminal spends the daytime delivering and picking up freight. In the evening this freight is put on outbound trailers destined to a hub, Detroit, Pittsburg, and Columbus for example are hubs. We have freight for all these small cities but not enough for a direct run so we take all freight destined to these Ohio towns to Columbus. At the same time they are all doing the same thing. Road drivers come in at night and take the trailers to Columbus and have a big dock party exchanging all the freight. After I pass out my freight and have recieved all my freight from the other drivers I go home. When I get back, inbound dock workers strip my trailers and put it on city trailers to be delivered and the process starts all over. Thats a small snapshot of regional overnite delivery but we have over 200 terminals and can ship anywhere in the country. As you gain seniority you get longer runs, meets, turns, and things that dont involve dock. Or your run is too long to spend much more than an hour or so on the dock and still make it back in time. We have teams, triples, laydown runs (take your break in a hotel and return the next night). All sorts of stuff. Some guys like the dock. I mean we get $23/hr to drive around on a forklift. Extreme heat or cold can be challenging. Some loads are easy some are difficult. Its a mixed bag. Think of LTL as a bus network with schedules, regular runs, switches, and exchanges. Some freight gets on and some gets off at each stop. The more full the bus the more money you make and the fare is cheaper. Now think of OTR truckload as a taxi service. You pay for door to door no matter how much freight goes in the car for a higher fare.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Wrong military contractor. Lockheed Marting administers the TWIC program. I'd say it was a bone thrown to LM by the Washington fat cats.
Your right...My bad!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Board Regular
Question

i went to charleston last week and paid my money,do they call when the twic card is ready or is better to track on website.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1catfish View Post
i went to charleston last week and paid my money,do they call when the twic card is ready or is better to track on website.
They called me and I went to their office to activate the card.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Board Regular

thanks ronjon,i went down to the post office to get the website i needed for my passport card, i went to website and every time i tried to pre-register online it said the server was busy,so i just printed it out and took it down there the old way.now waiting.:deal:
Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
They called me and I went to their office to activate the card.
We had 10 drivers out of 58 (including me) who never got their phone call. I would give it whatever time they tell you then start checking the website, Just in case.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:07 AM

If u get in stay in, ltl is the way to go union or not. I regret ever leaving. Id be at top rate now which is sum thing like 23 -25 an hour in pa at least I can't speak for other teerminals. Its not much work it goes fast once the rush comes in when ur in a hurry to make cut times. Hand freight also depends on what lane ur in. For example, we were down the street from uline and we would get a few trailers a night. And packing peanuts are very very light, buts its a pain to move 50 bags from one end of the dock to the other end lol. What that being said, over time after 8, AFTER 8!!!!! How many companies in any field do that anymore