User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodrome View Post
Sometimes I hear they're going through a lot of changes and mergers but I also hear they're still a place to find decent work.

I live close to their terminal in Fremont, IN and this might be a chance for me to be doing some kind of local work with more hometime.

Talked to them and I need more endorsements for their driving jobs. I already have a CDL and a year experience with PAM but for Conway I need Doubles, Triples, and Hazmat. Sounds like I'd be one of the people running triples down the 80/90 Turnpike.

Getting those just requires written tests right? Not another driving test? As for the Hazmat my understanding is that requires written tests plus a fee for background checks?

If u get in stay in, ltl is the way to go union or not. I regret ever leaving. Id be at top rate now which is sum thing like 23 -25 an hour in pa at least I can't speak for other teerminals. Its not much work it goes fast once the rush comes in when ur in a hurry to make cut times. Hand freight also depends on what lane ur in. For example, we were down the street from uline and we would get a few trailers a night. And packing peanuts are very very light, buts its a pain to move 50 bags from one end of the dock to the other end lol. What that being said, over time after 8, AFTER 8!!!!! How many companies in any field do that anymore
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Board Regular

Just out of curiosity, why would LTL need TWIC? I thought that was just for port entry? Or do they go to some places that require TWIC access? I don't live near a port, but I had to get mine with my first tanker job cuz all the terminals seemed to be on the water.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Fremont is a major hub for Conway. When I worked out of the Fort Wayne terminal (got laid off and never went back, MISTAKE) they were expanding the Fremont terminal. I did linehaul to their every night. Its not a bad place to work at all. They have something like 220 doors now. Its huge. A couple of times they would have me go up and work their docks instead of fort wayne cause they for some reason can't keep people at that terminal. The manager when I was there was very anal. Not many people cared for him.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 AM
Rookie

Don't expect a driving job if you are looking to work for Conway, instead expect a lot of dock work loading and unloading trailers, with some driving in between. That is basically line haul, which is what new drivers start out doing. When you get some seniority you can go for city P&D which is all hourly with overtime, (if it's busy enough). Dock work can really suck at times if you get awkward freight or a poorly loaded trailer, but the other drivers are usually friendly and will help you out. Some of the managers can be real pr|cks, especially to the new guys, so just learn to ignore everything they say and only seek help from other drivers. Trust me, that'll make things much less stressful!

Weekend work is rare, and in this economy I'd be surprised if a new driver was able to get any, but if you're running line you most likely wouldn't have the hours to get it anyway. I don't know what the policy is with triples, I'm in CA where we can't run them, but considering the pay is more I would assume the old timers snap those up in a heart beat.

A lot of drivers don't like touching freight, so whether this is a good company or not for you depends on what kind of driver you are. I think this is why most new drivers are younger, lesser experienced drivers, because they typically don't complain as much, but that's not to say they won't hire older more experienced drivers. A lot of it has to do with attitude, if you have a good attitude you'll be just fine.

If home time is something you want, I'd highly recommend this company. 70 hour work weeks on line might not leave a lot of home time in the beginning, but stick around for a while and get on a gravy M-F 9am-7 or 8pm (+overtime) city bid and you'll have your home time as well as a decent pay check. The benefits are great too, although their new focus on weight management has lead to less cakes. (The cake they had was amazing, I think I miss that more than anything else! :tears
Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Rookie

How much per mile for conway linhaul when you start with the company?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Rookie
Cool take my advice- dont do it

dont even consider Con-way ! i drove for truck-load, my partner fell asleep at the wheel and ran us off the road in Oregon in "07'. I was in the sleeper, clean logs and blood & urine. they tried to **** me out of surgery (broke neck , 3 places & broke back, 3 places. $187,000.00 dollars. Luckily, I had signed up with a 5 star worker's comp law-firm prior to the surgery. We are now, just getting to the settlement phase of the worker's Comp claim. I am now addicted to morphine ( leagally), and will never be able to work at any job again. I was told by Con-way employees that it does not matter what is "right or wrong", that I "have to play the game" They cut off my benifits, because they can.
reguarding the surgery----- they signed a faxed agreement to allow the surgery, and during 9 hr's of surgery called my wife and renigged on the agreement. it took almost a year to force them to pay for the mounting bills (with no re-hab during this time) which aggravated my condition and has lead to permanant disibility.
If you do decide to work for these ass-holes, I would strongly suggest that you take out EVERY & ALL insurance policies available, as you Will need them , just so you and your family can hold onto at least what you already have, and try to maintain it