User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Love is a strong word but its not been bad for me so-far. But like Hawk says, bunch of drivers from the same company and you'll get different opinions on the same company. Depends a great deal on your expectations, the terminal you run out of and your immediate supervisor. My job I come in and get the load, deliver and go home. No-one messes with me and thats about all I ask. Hawk isn't doing so well up in Gordonsville. I spoke with one of our drivers that went up there to help out for a week and he couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. Refused a load and told them to send him back to Henderson or he'd quit and leave the truck there. Got lied to and didnt like that.

Example: I drove for Roehl for 2 tumultuous years. My first boss sucked and I almost quit then got a new one that had driven for 15 years and he was fantastic. I was then put on a different board and she sucked and I ended up quitting.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulRacer View Post
What do you think of the company? How is the pay and miles driven per week? They told me 28.5 cmp van and 31.5 cpm flatbed plus tarping. I am in SC if that makes any difference.
Paid overlays, loading/unloading, etc?
I am considering going through their training program and want to know all I can up front before making the decision. I have spoken with them on the phone and they seem very nice (as opposed to someone I talked to at Watkins-Shepard) Not trying to stir up anything but they really rubbed me the wrong way.
Anyway, I just wanted to get a viewpoint from someone that has driven for them for a while and not just a 3 month disgruntled employee that cannot get along with anyone..save those for someone else.
I have not made up my mind totally whether I am going through their program, or take class here and then apply as a recent grad.
Thanks for the help.
I spoke to alot of Roehl Drivers in my two yrs there from a number of terminals including Marshfield, Gark and Oak Creek. It seemed to me that the satisfaction with the company depended a great deal on the terminal you were out of. Most of the guys in Marshfield liked it and did well. Those in Gary not so much. You working out of the drop yard in Florence?

If you are thinking of going through their program you might keep in mind that most companies require you to sign a contract that you have to pay them back for the school or at least drive for that company for a specified time or you have to pay them back. This locks you into a potentially bad situation. Go to an independent school and you have to pay them but you are "free lance" so to speak. Of course, they won't guantee you a job on graduation either.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyed Trucking Girl View Post
Consider yourself lucky. I use to think Roehl was a decent company. I found out the hard way they are deceitful.
I've written about them before on a different thread. I had to threaten to sue them in small claims court and place a lien on one of their trucks to get my gear deposit back (all $100 of it!) despite having the signed receipt stating I'd turned the gear in. Not much good I can say about them.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've written about them before on a different thread. I had to threaten to sue them in small claims court and place a lien on one of their trucks to get my gear deposit back (all $100 of it!) despite having the signed receipt stating I'd turned the gear in. Not much good I can say about them.
In the past 2 years Roehl has changed a lot. Especially since Everette handed the company over to Rick. I can put up with a lot. But then the company starts to be sneaky that's when I draw the line. If a company is up front and goes by the book like they expect a driver to do than that's fine. But when they change the rules, ignore them completely or changes the facts of an occurrence to hold against a driver, I can't defend such a company.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
In the past 2 years Roehl has changed a lot. Especially since Everette handed the company over to Rick. I can put up with a lot. But then the company starts to be sneaky that's when I draw the line. If a company is up front and goes by the book like they expect a driver to do than that's fine. But when they change the rules, ignore them completely or changes the facts of an occurrence to hold against a driver, I can't defend such a company.
Agreed. I met Rick when they bought out my company. I didnt care for him but didn't say anything as I didn't think I'd ever see him again.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Agreed. I met Rick when they bought out my company. I didnt care for him but didn't say anything as I didn't think I'd ever see him again.
Did you work for Blume Farms? They just brought out ORT in New London, Wi.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Did you work for Blume Farms? They just brought out ORT in New London, Wi.
Drove for Wausau Carriers for 9 years. I found out about the buy out when I was in the Sault. When I got back to New Hampshire Rick and crew were there. They acted right from the start like they were doing us all a favor by letting us drive for them. Didnt care for the attitude but stayed as my boss in Groveton was staying and i was dealing with her all of the time. When they took all of the dispatch away and moved it to Wisconsin and I got a boss out there it went right to hell and I didnt last much longer after that. First guy really sucked, got a guy down in Atlanta as my boss and he was fantastic but the 3rd chick (no offense) didnt know anything and had the gall to tell me that I didnt know how to drive when she had never had a cdl. Her boss, Kelly, was a disaster. I went over her head a couple of times to complain and was assured that she would not be dealing with drivers again directly but ended up in a "discussion" with her once more and after a few choice words drove down to Groveton and turned my keys in.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Drove for Wausau Carriers for 9 years. I found out about the buy out when I was in the Sault. When I got back to New Hampshire Rick and crew were there. They acted right from the start like they were doing us all a favor by letting us drive for them. Didnt care for the attitude but stayed as my boss in Groveton was staying and i was dealing with her all of the time. When they took all of the dispatch away and moved it to Wisconsin and I got a boss out there it went right to hell and I didnt last much longer after that. First guy really sucked, got a guy down in Atlanta as my boss and he was fantastic but the 3rd chick (no offense) didnt know anything and had the gall to tell me that I didnt know how to drive when she had never had a cdl. Her boss, Kelly, was a disaster. I went over her head a couple of times to complain and was assured that she would not be dealing with drivers again directly but ended up in a "discussion" with her once more and after a few choice words drove down to Groveton and turned my keys in.
Yeah, when they closed Groveton I should've gotten the heck out. They've been looking for any reason to cut experienced drivers and get a Honors program driver to pull the freight. Evrett was a definate plus for drivers; Rick only cares about numbers.
Left them myself finally in April.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Examiner View Post
Yeah, when they closed Groveton I should've gotten the heck out. They've been looking for any reason to cut experienced drivers and get a Honors program driver to pull the freight. Evrett was a definate plus for drivers; Rick only cares about numbers.
Left them myself finally in April.
So true. My husband was going to have surgery on May 21st of this year. Asked well enough in advance for Family Sick Leave for 7 days. Was told 1 week before I was due to start it that in order for me to go on FSL
I would be required to turn the truck in to either Gary or Marshfield and find my own way home and back to get the truck. Then I was told that if I stayed out until the 20th I would be entitled to 7 days off home time and I could bring the truck home. (what was the difference). The kicker was I was assigned a load to be picked up on the 19th in Oshkosh, Wi to be delivered to El Dorado Springs, Mo on the 20th. The time frame was tight so instead of relying with another driver they pushed back the time to 1400 hrs. Still very tight.
I get pulled into a scale and was given a Level 1 inspection which I passed but it put me behind. When I informed my dispatcher of this I asked her if I would have trouble delivering the load late. She said no they will still take me as long as they know what's going on. Got there at 1500 hrs and was told they couldn't take me until the morning. (Day of hubby's surgery.) Waiting for another driver to sit on load I was out of hours and had to take a 10 hour break. Home was 4 hours away. I never made it for the surgery. That's how little Roehl now cares about their drivers. And here's the kicker I was fired on 6/2/09 for reasons I posted in another thread.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Rookie

I really hated reading your story Green... I just find it really hard to believe that Roehl is still in business after treating drivers like this. I dont know how they have any customers either, as the company is so disorginized they would get the loads/times wrong so often. Once I was sent to Ohio only to find out when I got there that I was supposed to deliver at a place in Michigan, and was told wrong. It seems things like this are all too common with them. I just really hope others read this message board and avoid making the wrong decision and go to work for this horrible company. I hope you are working for a great company now. I love my current company... unfortunately we are not hiring right now.